Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:44 am

swipe right wrote:Team is good for top four. Manager is wank.

In order for us to be good for top four, two other teams will need to be worse than us. Man Utd and Chelsea are not worse than us.
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:05 am

Power n Glory wrote:
Jedi wrote:I agree that our rivals are stronger than ever today, but our squad is definitely weaker too. This isn't a controversial point, there is no discussion to be had here. Emery inherited the worst squad in the Wenger era by some distance.

So if we can all agree on that point. Where do we go from there? Because I see a lot of excuses going on and people doing as much as possible to look anywhere but the manager. Fans made the same mistakes with Wenger and why he was never held accountable.

Judge him next season after another summer transfer window. If he's given 70 to 100 mil to invest and we aren't in top 4 next year and playing well, sack him.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 am

Interest: waning wrote:
swipe right wrote:Team is good for top four. Manager is wank.

In order for us to be good for top four, two other teams will need to be worse than us. Man Utd and Chelsea are not worse than us.

MU, Chelsea, Spurs do not have better squads than us. They have better managers.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am

Arsene spent 400m in three years and we went from 4th to 6th .... that's primarily because City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea all spent similar amounts or more ... to say that giving Emery 80m last summer and another 70m this summer will make us competitive or we should sack him? A total of 150m to fix what was the EPL's sixth placed squad? in what reality will that ever work?

Liverpool spent 62m on Alisson, 60m on Keita, 45m on Fabinho, 78m on VDV, 42m on Salah, 38m on Ox, 41m on Mane .... that's 365m to put things right.

If we want Emery to achieve the same then we need to be spending that sort of money this summer ... we all know that's not going to happen so we need patience, expecting miracles just leads to disappointment.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:35 am

EliteKiller wrote:Arsene spent 400m in three years and we went from 4th to 6th .... that's primarily because City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea all spent similar amounts or more ... to say that giving Emery 80m last summer and another 70m this summer will make us competitive or we should sack him? A total of 150m to fix what was the EPL's sixth placed squad? in what reality will that ever work?

Liverpool spent 62m on Alisson, 60m on Keita, 45m on Fabinho, 78m on VDV, 42m on Salah, 38m on Ox, 41m on Mane .... that's 365m to put things right.

If we want Emery to achieve the same then we need to be spending that sort of money this summer ... we all know that's not going to happen so we need patience, expecting miracles just leads to disappointment.

I don't want us to be like Liverpool next season. I want top 4 minimum next season. If he can't get top 4 with two full summer transfer windows he's not good enough.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 am

swipe right wrote:MU, Chelsea, Spurs do not have better squads than us. They have better managers.

How do you work that out - independent squad valuation .... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

Manchester City £1.01bn
Liverpool FC £833.85m
Chelsea FC £775.58m
Tottenham Hotspur £721.35m
Manchester United £683.10m
Arsenal FC £553.95m

Where do you get your information from?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Jedi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Jedi wrote:I agree that our rivals are stronger than ever today, but our squad is definitely weaker too. This isn't a controversial point, there is no discussion to be had here. Emery inherited the worst squad in the Wenger era by some distance.

So if we can all agree on that point. Where do we go from there? Because I see a lot of excuses going on and people doing as much as possible to look anywhere but the manager. Fans made the same mistakes with Wenger and why he was never held accountable.

Judge him next season after another summer transfer window. If he's given 70 to 100 mil to invest and we aren't in top 4 next year and playing well, sack him.

I'm judging him now. My thoughts... If you can't parallel park in a Ford Focus, makes no difference if you buy a Ferrari.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby BrunelGooner » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 pm

Jedi wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:Arsene spent 400m in three years and we went from 4th to 6th .... that's primarily because City, Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea all spent similar amounts or more ... to say that giving Emery 80m last summer and another 70m this summer will make us competitive or we should sack him? A total of 150m to fix what was the EPL's sixth placed squad? in what reality will that ever work?

I don't want us to be like Liverpool next season. I want top 4 minimum next season. If he can't get top 4 with two full summer transfer windows he's not good enough.

No, this is far too simplistic an outlook on things.

If reports are true that he will be given a meagre transfer budget of circa £40m, knowing full well this squad is in urgent need of major surgery, and knowing City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United will be looking to spend big, then it's not entirely in his hands.

If he is given a shoddy transfer budget to work with, then surely the main portion of blame is not with him, but is higher up.

Give any other manager a budget like that with an ageing, mediocre squad and set them a target of getting into the top 4 when you know at least 4 clubs you're competing with will be spending more than you. I can 100% guarantee they will all struggle.

What we do this Summer will be telling. I am hoping this £40m transfer budget being reported is BS. Otherwise we are screwed.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zedie » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:36 pm

I reckon its 40 if we get in Europa and 100 if we get CL.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:19 pm

EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:MU, Chelsea, Spurs do not have better squads than us. They have better managers.

How do you work that out - independent squad valuation .... https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/startseite/wettbewerb/GB1

Manchester City £1.01bn
Liverpool FC £833.85m
Chelsea FC £775.58m
Arsenal FC £553.95m

Spend is not a function of quality. If you look at the various departments we are very competitive. Auba, Laca, Ozil are comparable to anything MU, Chelsea and Spurs have in the attacking department. Ramsey, Xhaka, Torreira, Guandouzi comparable to the same teams in midfield. Our defensive personnel are weak but I don’t rate Jones, Smalling, Luiz etc as quality defenders either. That’s why I say we are good for top four.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:40 pm

Spurs do but agree the other two don't.

Spurs have the best defensive unit in the league and have done for 3 seasons, adding to a top keeper, a world class striker and CAM with a goal scorer in Alli. Comfortably better than us. They even have 2 left backs which would walk into any of the top 6 squads, only Robertson is proving better right now.
Last edited by Santi on Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Did he bollox!

And I find it laughable that all of a sudden we can't compare squad quality now to before. Of course you can its just that people are either incapable of doing so or its been proven that they are talking rubbish. You can't tell me the squads with Song, Bendtner Arteta, Walcott, Diaby, shit Wilshere, Sanogo etc were better just because we had RVP and Cazorla
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:45 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

Manchester City £1.01bn
Liverpool FC £833.85m
Chelsea FC £775.58m
Arsenal FC £553.95m

Easy, because a higher transfer fee does not automatically mean better player! Also, a collection of average players with the right mentality and game plan can be better than a team of great players with a bad mentality or wrong game plan
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:49 pm

Santi wrote:Spurs do but agree the other two don't.

Spurs have the best defensive unit in the league and have done for 3 seasons, adding to a top keeper, a world class striker and CAM with a goal scorer in Alli. Comfortably better than us. They even have 2 left backs which would walk into any of the top 6 squads, only Robertson is proving better right now.

Well, I think man for man we are even with spurs but I do think Alderweird, Rose and Dier are better than what we have in those positions. Despite having a settled squad they won nothing and even Poch seems to be getting fed up.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Nuggets wrote:With the sh1te he inherited he is doing a good job.

Pretty much this. Not that hard to understand.

A point behind fourth with a squad that was nowhere near it last season and we're fighting Burnley for sixth, the same Burnley who are in a relegation dogfight this season.

He's done wonders. But but daddy Wenger won this and that and finished fourth 100 years ago. Who gives a shit? Emery has already done something Wenger failed to do for years.

He's given our Arsenal back to the fans and given us hope.
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football