Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby indy23 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:34 pm

Lol at some jobbers posting at half time. Wenger was ass last year. He got the respect step down version of the sack. Emery needs two seasons to fix wengers back 4. We are creating chances and scoring goals. U can't work miracles with xhaka and mustafi. Pep would have quit if that's what we went into the season with.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:27 am

Jedieurokrem wrote:
Luzh 22 wrote:
Jedieurokrem wrote:Been worse than Wenger so far.

Has he? 3.5 games of average BS, versus 12 years of average BS.

I see your point...

I didn't make a point. I just stated were playing worse football than under Wenger, so far. I don't know why everyone jumped on this to push their agendas.

Obviously i don't want Wenger back and Emery should be given time to make things happen. I would personally give him full 2 seasons unless we're completely falling apart and have to sack him to avoid relegation or something. We're just shit so far and that's a fact.

No we are not, I think you wre forgetting just how shit the football was under Wenger in the last 5 or so years, absolutely dreadful.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:31 am

alexafc12 wrote:Not sure his system works with the players we have tbh

This. Now, surely a top manager finds a system that works for the players he has??? I want to see Emery do just that, because banging your head against the wall a la Wenger didn't work for Wenger and won't work for Emery. Perhaps he can adopt a pseudo pressing game where the team do it en masse at particular times/during particular triggers. Perhaps the way forward is picking teams and formations to suit the players available and the opponents.

I think he had options, its whether he wants to be stubborn or not. You build a house on strong foundations, playing out from the back with Cech in goal is suicide!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby indy23 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:37 am

theHotHead wrote:

This. Now, surely a top manager finds a system that works for the players he has??? I want to see Emery do just that, because banging your head against the wall a la Wenger didn't work for Wenger and won't work for Emery. Perhaps he can adopt a pseudo pressing game where the team do it en masse at particular times/during particular triggers. Perhaps the way forward is picking teams and formations to suit the players available and the opponents.

I think he had options, its whether he wants to be stubborn or not. You build a house on strong foundations, playing out from the back with Cech in goal is suicide!

He is trying to tinker it to our players. Our players need to adapt or get ready to be booted.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:10 am

I fear for Emery. He’s dodging bullets right now. If he stays stuck in ninth place I can see Artera being brought in.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:55 am

Wasn't Wenger actually just above the relegation zone in the season we discovered Santi/Coq?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:58 am

indy23 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

He is trying to tinker it to our players. Our players need to adapt or get ready to be booted.

Its a conundrum and one I am glad I do not have to solve.

Easy decisions, get rid of sub standard players. Difficult decision, do you try to change established international footballers to play in a way that they never have ? Is it wise to do that, after all, they got their name and ultimately they were bought on the strength of what they do best. Or do you get rid of perfectly good footballers and replace them with players able to play the style of football the manager wants. Or do you change the style of play to suit the players you have.

Whatever option Emery chooses he will be scrutinised by fans and pundits and the media. Almost damned if you do and damned if you don't.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am

The whole idea of changing the manager is to improve results on the pitch.

It's not a short term fix. I sincerely hope the plan with Emery is for him to bring his own ideas and philosophies to the way we play, and to work with the players and his coaching team to get the team playing how he wants. If that means changing players because they can't or won't adapt, so be it. Wenger did exactly that in his early years, as did George Graham before him, both with significant success.

He simply must be given time to do the job we have employed him to do, and we should get behind him.
Last edited by Phil71 on Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:09 am

I don't think Wenger gets criticised enough for his decisions.

The wingers at our club are..... Iwobi? Even he's not a bought product, but an academy player. And we're playing midfielders on the wing and wondering why they're not as good there

The best CB at our club was Mustafi......

Our only RB at the club was an academy product. Granted, he's been good, but can you imagine how bad we've been in this department?

Our attacking CM options are.... literally all of them.

Our defensive CM options were.... Elneny, I guess? Again, a 5 million purchase.

But we've somehow spent big money
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 am

Phil71 wrote:The whole idea of changing the manager is to improve results on the pitch.

It's not a short term fix. I sincerely hope the plan with Emery is for him to bring his own ideas and philosophies to the way we play, and to work with the players and his coaching team to get the team playing how he wants. If that means changing players because they can't or won't adapt, so be it. Wenger did exactly that in his early years, as did George Graham before him, both with significant success.

He simply must be given time to do the job we have employed him to do, and we should get behind him.

Phil I agree on one hand but to play Devil's advocate:

Wenger came in and got an ageing team to play a completely different style of football immediately. As we all know, its easier to destroy than to create. So I expect Emery to be able to fix our defensive woes. If Wenger could transform Arsenal's style of play immediately with the players he inherited why should Emery sell ?? Wenger only played Vieira, the only new recruit, the rest of the team were Bruce Rioch/George Graham's team and they finished 7 points behind Man U who won the league, in 1996/97.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 am

Coming on nicely, I think we get top 4 if laca and Auba stay fit, we can be more flexible than under Wenger with the options we have, we aren't putting to much faith in any single player like Wenger did with Ramsey and ozil, the guy is really trying to get the best as a unit rather than individuals.

Desperately need a top cb though that will really make us a force.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

theHotHead wrote:
Phil71 wrote:The whole idea of changing the manager is to improve results on the pitch.

Wenger came in and got an ageing team to play a completely different style of football immediately. As we all know, its easier to destroy than to create. So I expect Emery to be able to fix our defensive woes. If Wenger could transform Arsenal's style of play immediately with the players he inherited why should Emery sell ?? Wenger only played Vieira, the only new recruit, the rest of the team were Bruce Rioch/George Graham's team and they finished 7 points behind Man U who won the league, in 1996/97.

I disagree a bit, I've highlighted how bare our squad is. Wenger inherited a squad that had wingers, CM's, strikers, etc, whether their quality was good enough is another matter.

Emery has a team that has zero wingers, one right back, and one defensively minded player that he himself brought in
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Phil71 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:08 am

theHotHead wrote:

I think Wenger was in a much better position in 1996 than Emery is now. Wenger inherited a rock to build his team on in the form of that solid defense with spare defenders of a very high quality - and a great goalkeeper. He also had Denis Bergkamp, Ian Wright. Ray Parlour and David Platt. He added Vieira straight away, and signed Anelka in the January window.

To be fair, with those players, a high league position should be expected.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby theHotHead » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:46 am

Yeah true, those players were of a much higher standard. Yet another nail in the coffin of Wenger's failures.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:00 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:Wasn't Wenger actually just above the relegation zone in the season we discovered Santi/Coq?

In 14/15 when cazorla and coquelin started playing together we were 7th after 4 games with 6 points
After 20 games of the season when the two started playing together we were in 5th
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football