Unai Emery

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Is Unai Emery the right man to take Arsenal forward?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:36 pm

Yes
27%
No
33%
Unsure
24%
Doesn't matter as long as Kroenke is in charge
15%

Total votes : 66

Re: Unai Emery, Arsenal Head Coach

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

It won't take unai long to figure out kos isn't up to it.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:35 pm

Interest: waning wrote:I am livid.

The Scum keep marching on and we grind to a halt, despite beating them.

It's demoralising. WE HAVE TO f***ing SIGN PLAYERS IN JANUARY.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Emery has said as much post game.

We're in an unlucky patch of missing players unfortunately.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:40 pm

The boss will sort it once he gets rid of most of Wongas shite.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:27 pm

Wenger f***ked us up bad.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Santi » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:44 pm

Aye blame Wenger for injuries 8 month after he left :dontknow:

The players we have are fine, just too many injuries at the back and Welbz and Holding both with long term horror injuries has really destroyed our ability to use our squad properly. Unai's poor choice in this scenario to play Sokratis and Lacazette in midweek, imagine either got injured and it obviously meant Laca wasn't available to start today...dumb.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:28 pm

Angelito wrote:
Angelito wrote:Worst managerial performance by a manager since I've been watching Arsenal and that includes some of Wenger's abysmal performances.

Congrats for topping Huddersfield.

Swansea 3 arsenal 1
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Nejch » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:32 pm

"on defensive shortages…
But I think they worked very well. It was very good news for Koscielny, a very good performance over 90 minutes. "

U wot m8
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:39 pm

Emery's at fault for the loss. There is no need to play 5 at the back and shifting Xhaka to an unorthodox position. If we're short on CB's, why continue to a play a formation that requires 3? Persisting with this formation has cost us.

Also, going back to playing Aubameyang as lead striker has made us look blunt. It doesn't work and Auba will have to prove he can play there. Lacazette is the far better striker in that position. Even when service is lacking he makes something happen or scores from half chances.

We'll need to see some changes. It's not just about needing to sign players, I think Emery has made a few decisions that he needs to rethink.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby starmandb » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:45 pm

Fran Solo wrote:Everything was against us from the beginning. Sokratis and Mustafi are suspended, Holding is injured, Koscielny and Monreal just come back and can't be 100% match fit, Kolasinac and Bellerin injuries, all the midfielders were not at their best and Leno made the biggest mistake for us so far.
I don't want to comment too much on the starting line up. Yes, it wasn't supposed to be that defensive, but I don't know the reality of Ramsey's and Ozil's condition. They might be not fit enough as well. Ozil looked average against Qarabag and did not run as much as usual. Anyway, we still managed to score two goals. Usually two goals are enough to get a point or maybe three if we're lucky. But three goals? This is our first under Emery I think.

We conceded 3 in game 2 at chelsea
Today was game 25
Bertie mee was manager when Arsenal had the best home season in all my years of going
70/71 conceded 6 home goals all season winning the double
In his first 25 games
We lost 3-1 at Spurs
3-1 at Chelsea
4-2 home to Leicester
3-1 at Leeds
3-2 home to west brom
10 years of poor defending will not be turned round overnight
starmandb

Postby UFGN » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:52 pm

One to forget

On we go
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Cannoner » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:33 pm

I see a lot of people are frustrated and angry, I posted this in the match thread, I'll post it here too:

Let's all calm down a bit. This is still Wenger's squad and he left us in a right state. The media and whole country predicted us to nosedive after Wenger left and we've proved them all wrong by going 22 unbeaten. So ignore their doom and gloom headlines cause they've been made to look like mugs.

Firstly, Unai is still getting to know his team and players. He hasn't settled on a formation yet because he doesn't know what his best formation is, and that's completely fine, because that takes time. I see some saying drop X and drop Y and Z too, but no manager comes in and rips the squad apart; he usually gives existing players a chance to prove themselves so that's why he's persisting with Iwobi, Xhaka etc. But be in no doubt that if they don't step up by the end of the season he'll be shaping the squad into his own. Imagine he dropped Iwobi now for Saka, that would ultimately end Iwobi's career at Arsenal- the kid is young and still has room to grow so he's rightly giving him a chance. He has it seems, however, made his mind up on Ozil; it appears he doesn't fancy him so it wouldn't surprise me if he's moved on soon.

Secondly, in terms of today, we had 3 of our most consistent defenders out. We had a makeshift defence against a rejuvenated Soton. Look on the bright side, if we keep winning maybe it would brush issues under the carpet and we all know the squad needs surgery. So it's a blessing in disguise because I can't see Unai persisting with someone like Ozil after that performance. He bought on Ozil ahead of Ramsey and he's probably realised that was a mistake, so he won't be making that again. Once again, he's learning.

Finally, the fact you're all so pissed off is a sign of improvement itself. For the past few years we would have accepted the loss under Wenger but now we're annoyed, pissed off and angry- does that not show the change in mentality and mindset at the club? I am loving what Unai is doing and we knew the first season or two was going to be a rollercoaster. When Klopp and Jose took over their clubs they were getting beat left, right and centre up and down the country, and were ridiculed every week on social media. We're not. We've just gone 22 unbeaten. And that's down to Unai.
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:00 am

Nice to see some perspective from most of the posters.

Our injuries came back to bite us today.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:09 am

Not sure what was in his head yesterday ... three at the back v Southampton? I know Xhaka is his must-have player but at CB? ... a long unbeaten run is just a headline, we all know that turning four draws into two wins and two defeats and we're 2 points better off ... just look at the table ... wins matter not unbeaten runs
It concerns me that Unai worries to much about losing rather than winning ... yesterday was a classic example of that ... Monreal - Xhaka - Kos - Lichtsteiner - Bellerin a back five against a team who had scored just 13 goals before yesterday? that's just wrong ...

We beat Spuds by trying to win ... yes that was partly forced by being 2-1 down ... but from the off we were playing to win ... we need that mindset every week not just twice a season ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Luzh 22 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:12 am

EliteKiller wrote:Not sure what was in his head yesterday ... three at the back v Southampton? I know Xhaka is his must-have player but at CB? ... a long unbeaten run is just a headline, we all know that turning four draws into two wins and two defeats and we're 2 points better off ... just look at the table ... wins matter not unbeaten runs
It concerns me that Unai worries to much about losing rather than winning ... yesterday was a classic example of that ... Monreal - Xhaka - Kos - Lichtsteiner - Bellerin a back five against a team who had scored just 13 goals before yesterday? that's just wrong ...

We beat Spuds by trying to win ... yes that was partly forced by being 2-1 down ... but from the off we were playing to win ... we need that mindset every week not just twice a season ....

We literally had one CB in the entire squad ables to play. He's half knackered too... who else did you want at CB if not Xhaka?
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ag6789 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:03 am

Why not El Neny or Monreal as CB? Xhaka as CB is outrageous; even as a full back he is poor. His defensive skills are mediocre, at best.
The team selection was short sighted today.
And what's with Ozil? Why isn't he started against a PL opponent? Push him, make him earn his living. He was brought in after 70 minutes, so there's nothing wrong with him.
This was a damaging loss against a very mediocre opponent.
If we don't make the top four come May, we will rue these days.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football