Arsenal's Away Form Versus Arsenal's Home Form

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Arsenal's Away Form Versus Arsenal's Home Form

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon May 07, 2018 5:14 pm

I know we've had a horrific season and are going to finish 6th, but this thread is about our away form. There is something very amazing about the difference between our home and away form........

Home Table

Having played all 19 games at home, Arsenal have 47 points, level with City for most points at home. City can go ahead with a win. Only United can move level with another win at home

Here's the table

Code: Select all
1   Manchester City           18   15   2   1   58   13   
2   Arsenal                           19   15   2   2   54   20   
3   Manchester Utd            18   14   2   2   37   9   
4   Liverpool                  18   11   7   0   41   10

Away Table

Away from home, we have 13 points from 17 games, relegation form and only one point above Swansea in 18th

So my question is, why this discrepancy and does it show the task is not as huge as it seems?
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Arsenal's Away Form Versus Arsenal's Home Form

Postby starmandb » Mon May 07, 2018 6:21 pm

LegendaryKeown wrote:I know we've had a horrific season and are going to finish 6th, but this thread is about our away form. There is something very amazing about the difference between our home and away form........

Home Table

Having played all 19 games at home, Arsenal have 47 points, level with City for most points at home. City can go ahead with a win. Only United can move level with another win at home

Here's the table

Code: Select all
1   Manchester City           18   15   2   1   58   13   
2   Arsenal                           19   15   2   2   54   20   
3   Manchester Utd            18   14   2   2   37   9   
4   Liverpool                  18   11   7   0   41   10

Away Table

Away from home, we have 13 points from 17 games, relegation form and only one point above Swansea in 18th

So my question is, why this discrepancy and does it show the task is not as huge as it seems?

Yes
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Lucky7 » Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 pm

I think an additional question is why it flipped so suddenly. We had a stellar run of away form not long ago and it's been smashed to bits. We used to thrive on the road where teams would be more open in their play against us and sit back less.

On the topic of current form I can only think that it's the pace of our play and tactics that has created such a dichotomy. I was going to look into individual player performance to try to pick it apart, but no one player can be responsible for such a variation in form. Perhaps it's an over simplification but I believe that our speed of play has slowed to the point where we aren't able to exploit teams opening up more on attack away from home. The upside seems to be that we're executing our offense well when teams sit back against us at home.

I'd love to hear more opinions I feel like there's got to be more detail to this issue but I haven't had enough time to watch this year to understand the tactical issues in depth.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby UFGN » Tue May 08, 2018 12:00 am

I think it doesn't reflect well on the togetherness of the squad, suggests that they're not particularly supportive of each other, and shows a lack of leadership.

If there was a strong sense of togetherness and strong leaders within the squad there'd be no cause for the away form to be much different.

Im guessing there's not much "fuckem it's us Vs everyone" going on in the dressing room, or at the hotel before the match
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Pudpop » Tue May 08, 2018 5:15 am

Personally I think it's indicative of the fact that our issue is not the quality of our players. 47 points from 57 where one of our 2 home losses was our best attacking performance all season is not a statistical anomaly. It shows that these players are good enough to win the league.

More defensive discipline away from home and we'd be right up there in a normal season

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue May 08, 2018 6:42 am

I would say it’s because we chop and change the playing 11 too often. It affects our confidence which is more exposed away. We’ve played combinations of:
Forwards: Laca, Sanchez, Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott, Ox, Auba and Iwobi
Midfield: Xhaka+Ramsey, Xhaka+wilshere, Xhaka+Elneny
Defense: Kos+Mus, Mus+Chambers, Mus+Holding, sometimes three at the back with Monreal
GK: Cech and Ospina in equal measure

This is too much variation to be a stable team.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby PairyGrows » Tue May 08, 2018 9:53 am

The overt lack of tactical management from Wenger is, in my opinion, the main cause of our dreadful away form. Our attacking predictable and our defence fragile, we're one of the easiest teams to play against.

This tactical fragility reflects on the mentality of the players. They know they'll be the underdogs in every away game. Thus forms a self-reinforcing vicious circle: every setback will feed the negative mentality further. It's gotten to the point where most players just give up and go home.

If anything, our away form this season is the result of Wenger's fundamental mistakes as a manager. That is very sad.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Tue May 08, 2018 10:50 am

Pudpop wrote:Personally I think it's indicative of the fact that our issue is not the quality of our players. 47 points from 57 where one of our 2 home losses was our best attacking performance all season is not a statistical anomaly. It shows that these players are good enough to win the league.

More defensive discipline away from home and we'd be right up there in a normal season

I think this this and this.

Said loads of times, the players are not the problem, if they were as shit as people make out we would not get the fantastic performances we do at times. I think the players are given bad tactics or are asked to play roles not suited to them at times. This leads to inconsistent performances and when you have 7 or 8 inconsistent performers in a game its no wonder we look like world beaters one minute then absolute dross the next.

Its all down to shoddy coaching and management in my opinion. You can't tell me the players are being coached properly but game after game make exactly the same mistakes. And in any case its common knowledge that Wenger does not prepare the team for opponents, instead preferring to focus on Arsenal's strengths only.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 10:52 am

I know I didn't mention it above, Pudpop and theHotHead, but the main difference between City and everyone else is that their away form is actually the same or better than their home form. No one else has stats like these. I wouldn't say we're near winning the league with this squad based on this, but we should comfortably be in the top four.
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Rockape » Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 am

Its certainly a bit weird, as wasn't it only last year that our away from was better than our home form? I think UFGN is closest to the answer in that due to all the shit that is going on with the Manager, the togetherness that is so important at away fixtures has been a bit lost? Plus all the Sanchez stuff, followed by Ozil getting £350k a week and then only occasionally turning up, must affect the mindset.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Pudpop » Tue May 08, 2018 11:31 am

LegendaryKeown wrote:I know I didn't mention it above, Pudpop and theHotHead, but the main difference between City and everyone else is that their away form is actually the same or better than their home form. No one else has stats like these. I wouldn't say we're near winning the league with this squad based on this, but we should comfortably be in the top four.
Which is why I said 'in a normal season'

Say we actually beat United at home like we should have. That's 50 points from 19 home games. 35 from our Away games gives us 85 points in the season, which for a normal season is close to 1st place, and some seasons is a title win.

35 points away from home is not beyond this squad

Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue May 08, 2018 11:35 am

Home record is very good. Away record is awful

Next season our away form will be better. Our home form will be worse and we stay at the same level

Would be nice to combine both and have good form in both.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby LegendaryKeown » Tue May 08, 2018 11:36 am

Ach wrote:Home record is very good. Away record is awful

Next season our away form will be better. Our home form will be worse and we stay at the same level

Would be nice to combine both and have good form in both.

No Wenger or Giroud next season though ;)
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Lucky7 » Tue May 08, 2018 8:36 pm

I can't believe that it's just team atmosphere that explains this difference. It's too big of a margin and team atmosphere would affect home games just as much as away games.

Just for reference...the invincibles got 49 points at home in 03/04. This season we came 2 points short of that with 3 points more we should have grabbed. How does a team with bad chemistry, no home atmosphere, chopping and changing star players mid season do that?
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Tue May 08, 2018 8:38 pm

Anyone have any stats about how many away games we took the lead in?
SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk