In Arsène We Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Crescit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:08 am

The problem with Arsene is that what worked in the 00's didn't work in the 10's .... sadly Arsene never got that ....

The days when you could buy / develop / find two or three top class players and win the league .... gone ...

You now need not just a few, not even eleven, but a squad of twenty five very good players to have any chance ....

Same goes for tactics .... just because something worked in 2004 doesn't mean it will work today .... whatever you're good at now come next week the opposition will have adapted .... even the worst EPL team today is a million miles ahead of the best team twenty years ago .... maybe not in ability, but in diet, fitness, coaching, medical, mental .... the list goes on

Arsene was great, fantastic, the best ever .... but he stayed a decade to long and left us a long way behind our rivals ....

There's a reason managers have a 'best before' date ... doing the same thing over and over, in the end whatever competitive business you are in you will always be overtaken .... happened to Utd and it's happened to us ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:10 am

EliteKiller wrote:
There's a reason managers have a 'best before' date ... doing the same thing over and over, in the end whatever competitive business you are in you will always be overtaken .... happened to Utd and it's happened to us ....

Except Ferguson, he went out on top.

GOAT.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby EliteKiller » Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:09 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:

Except Ferguson, he went out on top.

GOAT.

But left Utd broken ........
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsene Nose » Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:22 am

Wenger is a bit like Christ. Everyone wanted him gone as well but then they realized their mistake and now pine for his return.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:32 am

Who's pining?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 am

Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:It was a shame that team he was building with cesc, rvp, ade, hleb, nasri, Eduardo didn’t work out. It could’ve been quite special and people may have looked at him in a different light. A combination of bad luck with injuries and financial constraints in the face of unlimited money by other clubs to lure them destroyed that dream.

I do agree.

Had we won the league in 2008 like we should've the trophy drought never happens and Wenger would have cultivated another fine core primed to dominate.

2007/08 Arsenal was peak Wengerball.

That season and the year when Cesc got 15 League goals deserved silverware so bad
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:02 am

Sims wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:It was a shame that team he was building with cesc, rvp, ade, hleb, nasri, Eduardo didn’t work out. It could’ve been quite special and people may have looked at him in a different light. A combination of bad luck with injuries and financial constraints in the face of unlimited money by other clubs to lure them destroyed that dream.

I do agree.

Had we won the league in 2008 like we should've the trophy drought never happens and Wenger would have cultivated another fine core primed to dominate.

2007/08 Arsenal was peak Wengerball.

That season and the year when Cesc got 15 League goals deserved silverware so bad

January 31st 2008 is the single date above any other that turned me against him

We clearly needed reinforcements to finish the job. He bought nobody. We had no serious depth.

Sure enough, Eduardo got injured, and that's all it took to destroy the season.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:25 am

Tbf that was the real start of our financial limitations, the jan market was already expensive and I dunno who he could’ve added that would’ve fixed the problem

I think that season was more of a mental issue than a personnel one. The Eduardo injury completely destroyed our young squads mindset, find it really hard to blame Arsene for it

I think that would’ve been his greatest achievement had he won the league that season
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:27 am

Sims wrote:Tbf that was the real start of our financial limitations, the jan market was already expensive and I dunno who he could’ve added that would’ve fixed the problem

I think that season was more of a mental issue than a personnel one. The Eduardo injury completely destroyed our young squads mindset, find it really hard to blame Arsene for it

I think that would’ve been his greatest achievement had he won the league that season

Agreed with you until the bold part. It was entirely his fault. There is even precedent to show that his teams were chokers (02/03 season, Invincibles in the CL).
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:41 am

We only lost 3 games that season but the 4 draws in a row killed us. If Ade didn't score, no one else did and he hit a Giroud level rut at the worst time. RVP was born injured, Eduardo out, Cesc realised it was after January so as usual he gave up and pined for Barca, flamini injury hurt us as well and diary wasn't good enough cover.

We even took the lead at Stamford bridge and old Trafford and lost both. The choke job in the CL after Theo's goat run to put us in pole position only for us to f**k it up.

That season was annoying as hell. Wenger should've gone that summer.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:41 am

He was to hasty to get rid of all of the invincibles, with a few of them in 07/08 we could have done magical things, campbell the main one imo, guy came back 4 years later ffs
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby UFGN » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:47 am

Sims wrote:Tbf that was the real start of our financial limitations, the jan market was already expensive and I dunno who he could’ve added that would’ve fixed the problem

But he didn't.

He failed to buy any reinforcements

He failed to motivate his team after the Eduardo injury

It's all on him.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby LegendaryKeown » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:49 am

Wenger has now reached Jesus levels supposedly o_O
When you give a voice to stupid people, it makes them more stupid and not more intelligent
LegendaryKeown
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:51 am

Ach wrote:We only lost 3 games that season but the 4 draws in a row killed us. If Ade didn't score, no one else did and he hit a Giroud level rut at the worst time. RVP was born injured, Eduardo out, Cesc realised it was after January so as usual he gave up and pined for Barca, flamini injury hurt us as well and diary wasn't good enough cover.

We even took the lead at Stamford bridge and old Trafford and lost both. The choke job in the CL after Theo's goat run to put us in pole position only for us to f**k it up.

That season was annoying as hell. Wenger should've gone that summer.

Yup in a lot of seasons in the past 20 years we would have got away with it, unfortunately chelsea and untied were so strong that season
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:02 pm

Pudpop wrote:

Agreed with you until the bold part. It was entirely his fault. There is even precedent to show that his teams were chokers (02/03 season, Invincibles in the CL).

This
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club