In Arsène We Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Crescit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Merci Arsène

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 pm

Still no coaching job for Arsene. Waiting for the right job at the right wage, only interested in ‘super, super’ jobs.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:10 pm

Arsene Wenger has admitted staying at Arsenal for 22 years was "perhaps" the biggest mistake of his managerial career.
"Perhaps staying at the same club for 22 years.

"I am someone who likes to move around a lot, but I also like a challenge. I've been a prisoner of my own challenge at times."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... -a-mistake
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:27 pm

He should have left in 2011. For him, for us. for everyone.

Well, in 2013 at least, if not then.

Or, in 2017.

Gosh, he had so many chances.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Losmeister » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:02 pm

" deep down though, the obsessed man is selfish in his pursuit of what he loves."

he admits to selfishness... although not in the way many here pointed out, i believe it applies and he knows...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby KG3 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Imagine if he won the champions league in 2006 and left on a high things would have been so different for us as a club had we won that final Henry would have stayed and maybe Cole too, we would have been attracting top players and easily won the title a couple of times even if Wenger stayed but that's just my opinion maybe I'm wrong.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:27 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:Still no coaching job for Arsene. Waiting for the right job at the right wage, only interested in ‘super, super’ jobs.

think club football is too demanding for him at his age now, international management beckons for arsene
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Phil71 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:33 pm

Sims wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:Still no coaching job for Arsene. Waiting for the right job at the right wage, only interested in ‘super, super’ jobs.

think club football is too demanding for him at his age now, international management beckons for arsene

I can see him managing an African country.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Sims » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Sims wrote:

I can see him managing an African country.

only link ive seen so far is the japan job which i could see happen

wish we'd bin southgate and put big weng in charge tbh
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Angelito » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:55 pm

^ Allow me to be a bit sensational here. Or perhaps not...

I think you guys have basically surrendered the next two tournaments by having a really good World Cup. Unless some world class CM is out there who will break into the scene soon, normal service will resume with Euro 2020.

This World Cup has been a statistical anomaly in itself. But the most staggering part is France's conversion ratio, which is the best by a WC winner since 1966. France ended up 6th placed on expected goals. Their xG was 7.9 and they ended up scoring 14 goals. Jesus Christ.

Then, you have England reaching the SFs with only Trippier creating chances for them and not really scoring a lot from open play. England still have a better xG than France.

France's style of winning - and creating minimal chances - yet still winning the whole thing is really a statistical deviation from the norm.

Brazil had the highest xG btw.

I do think that England would be better off with Wenger in charge. Southgate has done his best to steady the ship and it's now time for someone who would get England to play.

That said, this is the best England have performed since 1990. And it's not like England haven't had class managers before. Southgate deserves a chance and there's no saying that Wenger would have done any better with the present lot. Southgate's safe mode of working will really frustrate you lot in the time to come, however.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby UFGN » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Skills required for a successful international manager are motivation and tactics

Wenger need not apply
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Sims » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:09 am

UFGN wrote:Skills required for a successful international manager are motivation and tactics

Wenger need not apply

Southgate had no tactics apart from set pieces and we reached a semi final

Arsene would be a great international manager
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:12 am

Sims wrote:
UFGN wrote:Skills required for a successful international manager are motivation and tactics

Wenger need not apply

Wtf
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Phil71 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:41 am

If Wenger got the England job the media sharks would be circling right away.

If England had the campaign that they've just had - but under Wenger, the press would be slaughtering him for messing up the best chance we've had since '66.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:52 am

Angelito wrote:^ Allow me to be a bit sensational here. Or perhaps not...

I think you guys have basically surrendered the next two tournaments by having a really good World Cup. Unless some world class CM is out there who will break into the scene soon, normal service will resume with Euro 2020.

This World Cup has been a statistical anomaly in itself. But the most staggering part is France's conversion ratio, which is the best by a WC winner since 1966. France ended up 6th placed on expected goals. Their xG was 7.9 and they ended up scoring 14 goals. Jesus Christ.

Then, you have England reaching the SFs with only Trippier creating chances for them and not really scoring a lot from open play. England still have a better xG than France.

France's style of winning - and creating minimal chances - yet still winning the whole thing is really a statistical deviation from the norm.

Brazil had the highest xG btw.

I do think that England would be better off with Wenger in charge. Southgate has done his best to steady the ship and it's now time for someone who would get England to play.

That said, this is the best England have performed since 1990. And it's not like England haven't had class managers before. Southgate deserves a chance and there's no saying that Wenger would have done any better with the present lot. Southgate's safe mode of working will really frustrate you lot in the time to come, however.
Is it really a statistical anomaly though ? I don't have access to earlier tournaments xG but I would wager that the winners/finalists/semi-finalists usually outperform their xG. Remember that France's performance is unsustainable over the course of a full league season, but it is very much sustainable over the course of 6 games (since the Denmark game doesn't really count).

I've been saying all tournament that, while France weren't playing particularly well, if they manage to turn on the style once they hit some resistance (Argentina, Croatia) then the tournament is theirs. And clearly that's what happened. In the only 2 games where they needed to outscore the opposition they scored really great goals - a testament to how great their squad is. On the other hand, in games where they didn't face much resistance (Belgium and Uruguay) they were content to play a defensive game after going 1-0 up and no-one can say they didn't have the players to see out a game.

Scoring above the xG is (probably) normal for tournament winners. I'd be extremely surprised if the same didn't apply for Portugal 2016, or rather that Portugal had a very low xG in comparison to other semi finalists.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby UFGN » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:37 am

Luzh 22 wrote:
Sims wrote:

Wenger need not apply

Wtf

Init
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club