In Arsène We Trust ~ Victoria Concordia Crescit

Post any questions you have relating to the history of Arsenal—or read all about your beloved club.

Re: Merci Arsène

Postby EliteKiller » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:24 am

swipe right wrote:Top four in 20 of 22 seasons isn’t bad mate. We just got tired of top four. That was the problem. I fear we will end this season around 8 or 9.

We didn't get tired of top four, our manager just lost the plot. From 2010-2015 we all but stopped signing very top players - we believed some cult nonsense about 'we will win it my way' we developed a communist approach to salaries and contracts, youth players not even close to EPL standard were touted as the next best thing, and the rot set in ...

2010-13 we signed Koz, Ox, Gervinho, Arteta, Mert, Pod, Giroud, Cazorla (great but injured) all for under 15m a pop, all not bad players, well some were, but certainly all not potential title winners either.

We then get to 2014 and Ozil - for 47m this should have been a great signing, and it was for two seasons, don't blame Wonger at all it was a great signing, but sadly there's just something wrong with the lad, his crazy new contract was where we really screwed up.

Sanchez at 42m - fantastic but somehow again we screwed up his contract

Then back to more of the same average stuff in '14 Chambers, Welbeck, Paulista, Debuchy, was that 70m well spent?

Then in '15 Cech and Eleney was that 30m well spent?

That gets us to 2016 when we start to realise we're in deep shite .... suddenly in come Xhaka, Mustafi, Perez and 100m gets blown

That gets us to 2017 when we really got the big money out ... in come PEA, Laca, Mkhi with 150m spent

Then last summer 2018 .... in come Torreira, Leno, Sokratis, Guendouzi with another 70m spent

So as you can see we've been trying since 2016 to make up for the awesome transfer failure from 2010 to 2015 ... a period during which we signed 16 players of whom I think only 3 are still first team players, that was the foundation, or lack of foundation, that ripped the very heart out of the club ... during that entire disastrous period one man had 100% control ... surely he must take some responsibility?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:44 am

Cech and Elneny were half that at 15m.

Not that it really changes the point but some of your figures seem high.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:16 am

I am not saying Wenger didn’t screw up. Of course he did, he’s human after all. But fans never recognized how monumental a feat it was keeping a club that has just moved to a new stadium with an owner that won’t invest in the top four for 20 years while winning a number of trophies albeit lesser ones in the later years.
I am also calling BS on him leaving a bad squad. In 2016 we finished second, in 2017 we missed top four by 1 point courtesy of Coquelins brain fart against Spurs. The only dire season was 2018 when we were being held hostage by our two best players for contract renewal.
People grossly exaggerated wengers follies and now we are paying for it.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 am

Wengers gone

Who gives a shit

Certainly no other club
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Interest: waning » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:56 am

Close this f***ing thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Interest: waning
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:54 am

Santi wrote:Starting to warm to Poch a little bit, is that allowed?

What he is doing with a squad cost and budget a fraction of those above and below him is incredible, year on year.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:55 am

swipe right wrote:
EliteKiller wrote:
swipe right wrote:Always knew the club would go into a tail spin when Wenger left. Just didn’t realize it would be within six months. Shocking decision to fire him. Bet Kroenke regrets it.

Only if he's 100% delusional like a few on here, only if he can't accept that we are in a tailspin because before he left Wenger cut of the wings, cut off the rudder and filled the plane with deadwood. Doesn't matter who you employ as a pilot after that the crash is inevitable ........

Top four in 20 of 22 seasons isn’t bad mate. We just got tired of top four. That was the problem. I fear we will end this season around 8 or 9.

Clearly you don't remember last season. f***ing shit.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 am

swipe right wrote:I am not saying Wenger didn’t screw up. Of course he did, he’s human after all. But fans never recognized how monumental a feat it was keeping a club that has just moved to a new stadium with an owner that won’t invest in the top four for 20 years while winning a number of trophies albeit lesser ones in the later years.
I am also calling BS on him leaving a bad squad. In 2016 we finished second, in 2017 we missed top four by 1 point courtesy of Coquelins brain fart against Spurs. The only dire season was 2018 when we were being held hostage by our two best players for contract renewal.

Wenger was the sole reason for his own downfall, refusing to sign a DM and a goalkeeper for years, then moving away from what worked in the Prem to what worked for Barcelona - the shift from fast powerful technical players to small diminutive technical players.

I do agree though, the squad is not as bad as people make out, if you look at all of the players individually you can see where they are strong and where they are weak. there are lots of formations and tactics available to a manager, a good manager would get the best out of his players. Emery needs to improve and fast.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Fran Solo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:16 pm

swipe right wrote:Always knew the club would go into a tail spin when Wenger left. Just didn’t realize it would be within six months. Shocking decision to fire him. Bet Kroenke regrets it.

What's so shocking about that? In fact I was shocked that he was not sacked earlier. Look, I like Wenger, I respect him and all his achievements, and yes people have been unfair to him. But still, he deserved to be released after what has happened in the last four or five years. Not only for the sake of AFC, but also for his own good.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Godlop » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:23 pm

swipe right wrote:I am not saying Wenger didn’t screw up. Of course he did, he’s human after all. But fans never recognized how monumental a feat it was keeping a club that has just moved to a new stadium with an owner that won’t invest in the top four for 20 years while winning a number of trophies albeit lesser ones in the later years.

:lol:
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Never Wenger's fault
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Ach wrote:

Never Wenger's fault

Coming from Mr 'mods mods i'm innocent, he started it!!'

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiight m8
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Santi wrote:
Ach wrote:

Never Wenger's fault

Coming from Mr 'mods mods i'm innocent, he started it!!'

Alriiiiiiiiiiiiight m8

Never Achs fault either.

People have called me c*** before. I am the Wenger of gw
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:24 am

Post of the year right here. There will be a day where you will be missing the "4th" place trophy you made fun of, or FA Cup that you didnt like.

Wenger had done his best with what he was given. If Wenger had given unlimited budget like 2006 like Chelsea, he could have won at least five PL out of ten in the last ten years. That being said, Wenger still had done incredible job. We were selling our best players year after year in order to pay stadium's debts yet still managed to finish in top four.

"I came here to make the first photos of the Emirates, and when the lorries came in to sort out the rubbish. I have seen this stadium worked on in every part, from your press conference room to the technical area. Of course it is part of myself."

"When we built the stadium the banks demanded that I signed for five years," said the 66-year-old Frenchman.

"Do you want me to say how many clubs I turned down during that period?"

Truly a man who has devoted his life to Arsenal. The greatest Arsenal manager ever.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Ach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:28 am

Looks like someone missed the last 10 years
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to The History Of Arsenal Football Club