How much is "enough" money for transfers?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: How much is "enough" money for transfers?

Postby theHotHead » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:56 pm

As others have mentioned all you have to do is look around the Premier League and see bargains aplenty !! Kante to Chelsea. Salah to Liverpool. Eriksen to Spurs. Mahrez would be sensible money, can't be bothered to dig out more.

£70m per season is a perfectly acceptable figure, we don't need to be chasing players that cost more, they are blown up hype players.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:36 pm

theHotHead wrote:As others have mentioned all you have to do is look around the Premier League and see bargains aplenty !! Kante to Chelsea. Salah to Liverpool. Eriksen to Spurs. Mahrez would be sensible money, can't be bothered to dig out more.

£70m per season is a perfectly acceptable figure, we don't need to be chasing players that cost more, they are blown up hype players.

70 million to do what? Win the league....we are about 40 points behind the league winners. Some of u are so deluded
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Jedi » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:41 pm

Arsene Nose wrote:
Jedieurokrem wrote:I'd spend 150 mil solely on young talented players, the kind that teams like Dortmund and Monaco like to buy and groom into top players. Buy 5 or 6 of them, hope 3 or 4 come good. We need to rebuild, signing finished products like Aubameyang is expensive and inefficient.

Dortmund and Monaco win ef all.

Klopp's Dortmund won the league twice + played in a Champions League final after smashing Real Madrid in the semis. Monaco's very young team won the league and nearly managed to get to the CL final after losing to a very experienced Juventus team. Their problem is they are feeder clubs for Bayern/PSG and that's why they fell apart.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby indy23 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:06 pm

Title isn't our priority hence the 50 Million rumors.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:33 pm

indy23 wrote:Title isn't our priority hence the 50 Million rumors.

The rumors are just clickbait for views they don't know crap. I do agree with you regarding the priority though. We have a strong offensive core, but we are in a rebuilding phase. If we get CL perhaps that rebuilding will be accelerated by helping attract a stronger set of signings and perhaps a higher tier manager. The goal next season is top 4 though. We don't need a 60m GK to do that, but we do need investment in a number of positions.

Even if we signed Pep today with Man City budget I wouldn't favor us for the title. Any new manager will take time to implement their system and bring in the players to execute it properly.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby indy23 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

Lucky7 wrote:

The rumors are just clickbait for views they don't know crap. I do agree with you regarding the priority though. We have a strong offensive core, but we are in a rebuilding phase. If we get CL perhaps that rebuilding will be accelerated by helping attract a stronger set of signings and perhaps a higher tier manager. The goal next season is top 4 though. We don't need a 60m GK to do that, but we do need investment in a number of positions.

Even if we signed Pep today with Man City budget I wouldn't favor us for the title. Any new manager will take time to implement their system and bring in the players to execute it properly.

Sorry I hope I'm wrong I'm just using our past experiences and it pretty much feels like our usual budget range unless we sell players like ox n trash for 40 mill. Only way we get more money is if we sell mustafi or. Lacazette. Laca being sold would put me in such a toxic mood.
indy23
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby SuperJackyWilshere » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:07 pm

indy23 wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:

Sorry I hope I'm wrong I'm just using our past experiences and it pretty much feels like our usual budget range unless we sell players like ox n trash for 40 mill. Only way we get more money is if we sell mustafi or. Lacazette. Laca being sold would put me in such a toxic mood.

Like Lucky7 said, it's just made up.

SuperJackyWilshere
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Lucky7 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:10 pm

SuperJackyWilshere wrote:
indy23 wrote:
Lucky7 wrote:

Like Lucky7 said, it's just made up.

It is made up. However I don't believe that the number is all that far off. Someone else posted that SwissRamble had estimated a 70m budget + sales. I would bet we spend around 100-120m total.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:38 am

gooney wrote:
theHotHead wrote:As others have mentioned all you have to do is look around the Premier League and see bargains aplenty !! Kante to Chelsea. Salah to Liverpool. Eriksen to Spurs. Mahrez would be sensible money, can't be bothered to dig out more.

70 million to do what? Win the league....we are about 40 points behind the league winners. Some of u are so deluded

After we get a squad able to compete - £70m per season is fine. I said nothing about £70m building a title winning squad you dufus!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:01 am

Our squad is in such a bizarre condition. Where we have quality, we have it aplenty; we've spent over £100 million on our strike force, and we have two highly paid play makers in our ranks. However, in some areas we are seriously lacking; for instance, we have no distinguished defensive midfielders nor wingers.

To balance the squad we'll need to start by moving players on. That means, in practice, selling one or two of Aubameyang, Ozil, Lacazette and Mkhitaryan. Our next priority should be moving on players who haven't been convincing (i.e. Xhaka, Mustafi, Iwobi, Chambers) or players who might not want to stay (i.e. Ramsey).

Then, and only then, we should dip into the transfer market. I think we'll need a goalkeeper, one or two centre backs, a defensive midfielder, a deep-lying play maker and two wingers. That, in my estimation, will cost us from £80 to £120 million even if we factor in the income from player sales.

So, I'm hoping the transfer budget is at least £80 million, preferably more. But in reality £50 and £70 million sound more plausible, which, unfortunately, means we won't be able to make adequate changes to our squad. Thus, I don't expect drastic improvement next season.

I'm just hoping I'm wrong.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:31 pm

A CB, DM and fast wide player would do for this summer, if we do that we will have enough to at least give everyone a very competitive game
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:A CB, DM and fast wide player would do for this summer, if we do that we will have enough to at least give everyone a very competitive game

Cech is crap now though
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Lucky7 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:49 pm

UFGN wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:A CB, DM and fast wide player would do for this summer, if we do that we will have enough to at least give everyone a very competitive game

Cech is crap now though

Agreed. We need a replacement at GK. I am hoping for a decent outlay at this position but not Oblak or Donnarumma.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby UFGN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:59 pm

Lucky7 wrote:
UFGN wrote:

Cech is crap now though

Agreed. We need a replacement at GK. I am hoping for a decent outlay at this position but not Oblak or Donnarumma.

Burnley have two keepers both better than ours

Actual fact
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Luzh 22 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm

I also think Butland is good, and achievable.

But that is by the by, back to topic, I think it is achievable to be competitive without spending the same amounts of cash as the oil clubs.
"O Striker, Striker, why are you Striker?" - Arsene Nose 12/07/16
Luzh 22
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk