How much is "enough" money for transfers?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: How much is "enough" money for transfers?

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 03, 2018 2:23 pm

UFGN wrote:Lukaku they overpaid for. Everton would have taken less, if not, don't buy him. The poor form you can't legislate for, but the point is they paid too much

Pogba was a ridiculous purchase and only about a 20% chance that would turn out well. They gambled stupidly and they've lost.

Their mistakes don't have to be our mistakes.

THIS ^^
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Thu May 03, 2018 3:45 pm

to the people wanting the club to purchase wilfried zaha, what do you guys see in him that makes him worth 35m-40m? i guess a better question would be, what does he excel at?
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby 22-0 » Thu May 03, 2018 3:54 pm

Isnt he another walcott?
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu May 03, 2018 5:40 pm

King of Highbury XIV wrote:to the people wanting the club to purchase wilfried zaha, what do you guys see in him that makes him worth 35m-40m? i guess a better question would be, what does he excel at?

I don’t follow crystal palace often but from the times I’ve watched zaha play, he causes defenders problems. We need more players like him but of course with better end product. Someone like zaha from what I can tell is the type of player that attracts defenders and destroys disciplined back lines. This will then leave space for players like Auba, Lacazette, Mkhi, and Ramsey who are more likely to put away chances
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby King of Highbury XIV » Fri May 04, 2018 6:01 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:I don’t follow crystal palace often but from the times I’ve watched zaha play, he causes defenders problems. We need more players like him but of course with better end product. Someone like zaha from what I can tell is the type of player that attracts defenders and destroys disciplined back lines. This will then leave space for players like Auba, Lacazette, Mkhi, and Ramsey who are more likely to put away chances

22-0 wrote:Isnt he another walcott?

that's exactly who he is which is why i asked my original question. we need to continue to make good signings, paying 40m for Wilfried Zaha is a massive step back. He's fast and that's about it. No end product whatsoever. if this were the case, we should've kept either ox or walcott or both.

ps. being from the states, i've noticed that you guys massively overrate english players.
all of my posts are my own opinion
King of Highbury XIV
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby EliteKiller » Fri May 04, 2018 6:36 am

UFGN wrote:Lukaku they overpaid for. Everton would have taken less, if not, don't buy him. The poor form you can't legislate for, but the point is they paid too much

Pogba was a ridiculous purchase and only about a 20% chance that would turn out well. They gambled stupidly and they've lost.

Their mistakes don't have to be our mistakes.

Lukaku (24) cost 75m and has 23 goals and assists (on transfer-market he's now worth 85m) .... Pogba (25) cost 89m has 16 goals and assists (on transfer-market he's now worth 90m)

and guess what - Utd are comfortably 2nd in the EPL and in a Cup Final .... how did they lose?

Xhaka (27), Mustafi (26), Lacazette (26) they were much cheaper and still not great value .... that's why we're fighting Burnley for 6th .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 am

King of Highbury XIV wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:I don’t follow crystal palace often but from the times I’ve watched zaha play, he causes defenders problems. We need more players like him but of course with better end product. Someone like zaha from what I can tell is the type of player that attracts defenders and destroys disciplined back lines. This will then leave space for players like Auba, Lacazette, Mkhi, and Ramsey who are more likely to put away chances

22-0 wrote:Isnt he another walcott?

that's exactly who he is which is why i asked my original question. we need to continue to make good signings, paying 40m for Wilfried Zaha is a massive step back. He's fast and that's about it. No end product whatsoever. if this were the case, we should've kept either ox or walcott or both.

ps. being from the states, i've noticed that you guys massively overrate english players.

Just to clarify zaha is only in my wishlist beacause I’ve limited myself to pl players only and a 50 million net spend budget.

Anyway It’s not that I overrate English players. That’s the price zaha would probably go for and I don’t think you’ll find many other better players (in the pl) than zaha at that price. Zaha imo is not like Theo or Ox because he has more to his game than just kick and run. He can actually beat his man much more consistently than the other two and more importantly He’s much more careful with regards to keeping possession
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 04, 2018 8:51 am

Zaha still looks a bit to raw to me, maybe under a top manager he could become a very good player, he has attributes that we need for sure, he would be an upgrade on welbeck though
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Ach » Fri May 04, 2018 11:52 am

Lol wtf am I reading?

Would love lukaku and pogba here. As would we all
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Marsbar100 » Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 pm

Pogb and lukaku have been class, pogba has already won 2 trophies and has a chance of a 3rd in 2 seasons
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 04, 2018 2:54 pm

I think Pogba is wasted under Mourinho who is a manager that prefers dour bludgeon teams to death football. Pogba under a more flair coach would thrive. He was world class for a few seasons at Juventus. And as raw as Lukaku was I thought he was good value at £75m considering the goals he banged in at Everton. England to England transfers are always inflated, there seems to be a lot of value placed on players with English experience.

Zaha is not the same player that went to Man U, I have seen a change in him, he is far more effective a player and he causes utter mayhem. Still very raw and needs to be more composed at times but, he is a frightening attacker and seems to be brimming with confidence. Again,the fact he is English will jack his price up. Definitely think his pace and quality running with the ball would benefit any club in this league.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Pudpop » Sun May 06, 2018 6:16 pm

Well we'll probably need at least 70m just for our centre backs. Unless we stick with Mustafi which means the rest will go to a keeper and back up RB.

On top of that we'll have to replace whoever we don't re-sign. If we keep all our players then the rest should go to another CM since Santi and Jack aren't reliable and we sold Coquelin.

Our attack is fine though, so:

35m CB
35m CB or GK and RB
30m CM/DM

100m should do it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Rockape » Tue May 08, 2018 8:54 pm

Trouble is as soon as we show any interest in a player, the club will raise the price massively. So those £35m players we’ll struggle to get for £55M
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Lucky7 » Sat May 19, 2018 5:35 pm

With Ornstein recently confirming the "50m budget" I was wondering if there was more to it. Here's an article explaining the details and why 50m doesn't mean just 50m.

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals ... explained/

To give a review:
-50m is our budget but that considers all expenses as "amortized" meaning spread over the length of contract.

-This 50m budget also includes wages.

-The 50m also includes agent fees.

- You can only increase your wages by 7m per year in the epl but we have a reduction in expenses this year of 15m. Maximum wage increase would then be around 425k/week but that would eat up 22m of the budget. Keep in mind here that any new contracts (Ramsey) would also come from this budget (3.5m-ish).

Possible transfers with no sales:
Ramsey, 70k additional wages = 3.5m/yr
56m, 4 year deal, 170k = 22.8m
70m, 5 year deal, 175k = 23.1m

126m spent on budget with no sales...The wage restriction is the real issue here. Not total budget. For every body we bring in you need to send one out if not morem

This is our cost that's balanced against our income to calculate our status for FFP.
Lucky7
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Jedi » Sat May 19, 2018 6:40 pm

Lucky7 wrote:With Ornstein recently confirming the "50m budget" I was wondering if there was more to it. Here's an article explaining the details and why 50m doesn't mean just 50m.

https://shewore.com/2018/05/19/arsenals ... explained/

To give a review:
-50m is our budget but that considers all expenses as "amortized" meaning spread over the length of contract.

-This 50m budget also includes wages.

-The 50m also includes agent fees.

- You can only increase your wages by 7m per year in the epl but we have a reduction in expenses this year of 15m. Maximum wage increase would then be around 425k/week but that would eat up 22m of the budget. Keep in mind here that any new contracts (Ramsey) would also come from this budget (3.5m-ish).

Possible transfers with no sales:
Ramsey, 70k additional wages = 3.5m/yr
56m, 4 year deal, 170k = 22.8m
70m, 5 year deal, 175k = 23.1m

126m spent on budget with no sales...The wage restriction is the real issue here. Not total budget. For every body we bring in you need to send one out if not morem

This is our cost that's balanced against our income to calculate our status for FFP.

I have no idea what you just said. Arteta Out.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk