Dani Ceballos

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Dani Ceballos (8)

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:56 pm

ag6789 wrote:Ozil should be the choice, if fit, since in presence of Ceballos behind him, he will be the best candidate to open up defenses with his slide-rule passes.
Teams like Liverpool and Spurs need to be opened up with intelligence, not w/ brute force and hard running.
Looooooool

When has ozil opened any defense last season

Ffs delusional

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:15 pm

He has, with ease, in the past, and he should do it again. A bad year doesn't mean he's finished. Besides, he wasn't used properly last year.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:23 pm

ag6789 wrote:He has, with ease, in the past, and he should do it again. A bad year doesn't mean he's finished. Besides, he wasn't used properly last year.

Ozil hasn't had a genuinely stellar season since 2015/16.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:24 pm

Callum wrote:
ag6789 wrote:He has, with ease, in the past, and he should do it again. A bad year doesn't mean he's finished. Besides, he wasn't used properly last year.

Because 14 assists and 12 goals in 16/17 and 14 assists and 5 goals in 17/18 is a stat for peasants, I'd assume?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:

Because 14 assists and 12 goals in 16/17 and 14 assists and 5 goals in 17/18 is a stat for peasants, I'd assume?

He blew hot and cold consistently in those seasons, even if his output wasn't as bad as it was last year. I'm not saying he's not had good moments or even decent seasons since 2015/16, but for a player who's supposed to be the star of our team, and for the wages we've been paying him, I don't believe he's done enough. I'm also sceptical that he'll ever truly recapture his best form after last year.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:04 pm

ag6789 wrote:Ozil should be the choice, if fit, since in presence of Ceballos behind him, he will be the best candidate to open up defenses with his slide-rule passes.
Teams like Liverpool and Spurs need to be opened up with intelligence, not w/ brute force and hard running.

:rofll: :rofll: You are joking of course, he might be first choice for the cup games and that's his lot. He is on his way out. Ceballos is the main man :arse fan:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby ag6789 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:32 pm

Next two games will tell a lot about that( about Ceballos ). I'll be happy if he can replicate his performance against both Pool & Spuds, but that shouldn't stop Ozil returning to form. It should be looked upon as a boon if two very talented players compliment and collaborate with each other. In any case, Ceballos will have a temporary effect since his good form will only encourage RealM to end his loan deal, whereas Ozil is here to stay.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm

ag6789 wrote:Next two games will tell a lot about that( about Ceballos ). I'll be happy if he can replicate his performance against both Pool & Spuds, but that shouldn't stop Ozil returning to form. It should be looked upon as a boon if two very talented players compliment and collaborate with each other. In any case, Ceballos will have a temporary effect since his good form will only encourage RealM to end his loan deal, whereas Ozil is here to stay.

Sadly. :(
Nuggets

Postby Angelito » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:35 pm

Callum wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Callum wrote:

He blew hot and cold consistently in those seasons, even if his output wasn't as bad as it was last year. I'm not saying he's not had good moments or even decent seasons since 2015/16, but for a player who's supposed to be the star of our team, and for the wages we've been paying him, I don't believe he's done enough. I'm also sceptical that he'll ever truly recapture his best form after last year.

A player is only as good as the team or the manager allows him to be.

In 16/17 and as with Wenger's latter years at Arsenal, we—as a team—we were hot and cold. Ozil wasn't any cooler than anyone else and after Alexis was consistently our best performer. In 17/18, we were all over the place, yet Ozil still has impressive stats. Meanwhile, last season, we know of the issues between Ozil and Unai. While I believe Ozil is past his peak, last season's issues between Unai and Ozil didn't help matters.

A lot of Arsenal fans simply don't like Ozil and try to rationalize their dislike for Ozil by criticizing him for things beyond his control, or by simply shrugging off his impressive stats by saying things "it wasn't as bad as it was last year."

Since 15/16, only few Arsenal players have had "decent" seasons. You could count them on one hand and Ozil is one of them. It's not like we're flying high, whilst Ozil has been bad. We've been abysmally bad in our last two seasons.

Your post in the Monreal thread applies to Ozil as well:

Callum wrote:It saddens me no end to see fans write him off as "finished" and act as if he has no place being at Arsenal. He's still a great player, albeit on the decline, and is one of the few long-serving players we have left. I'm delighted we've signed Tierney as our long-term left-back option but Nacho is still a decent squad player who deserves more respect than he gets.

But it doesn't come.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Callum » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:43 pm

Angelito wrote:A player is only as good as the team or the manager allows him to be.

Perhaps, but either way I don't see recapturing his form at Arsenal. He's getting older, our manager clearly doesn't fancy him that much, and the Premier League is a very physical league that doesn't particularly suit ageing playmakers. Especially when most teams are moving away from playing an out-and-out number 10.

Angelito wrote:In 16/17 and as with Wenger's latter years at Arsenal, we—as a team—we were hot and cold. Ozil wasn't any cooler than anyone else and after Alexis was consistently our best performer. In 17/18, we were all over the place, yet Ozil still has impressive stats. Meanwhile, last season, we know of the issues between Ozil and Unai. While I believe Ozil is past his peak, last season's issues between Unai and Ozil didn't help matters.

A lot of Arsenal fans simply don't like Ozil and try to rationalize their dislike for Ozil by criticizing him for things beyond his control, or by simply shrugging off his impressive stats by saying things "it wasn't as bad as it was last year."

Since 15/16, only few Arsenal players have had "decent" seasons. You could count them on one hand and Ozil is one of them. It's not like we're flying high, whilst Ozil has been bad. We've been abysmally bad in our last two seasons.

I do like Ozil and don't think I've ever criticized him unfairly. I accept that as a team we've had some poor seasons of late but I still think the number of great displays from Ozil have dropped considerably, and I think too often he's shrunk when we've needed him most. He's supposedly one of the most talented players in the squad, if not the most talented, but he's rarely shown that (especially in the big games). I'd expect someone of his calibre to have done much better than he has done. Even if Alexis tailed off towards the end of his time here, he still was scoring and dragging us through some games - Ozil rarely, if ever, has done this in the past 2-3 seasons.

Angelito wrote:Your post in the Monreal thread applies to Ozil as well:

Callum wrote:It saddens me no end to see fans write him off as "finished" and act as if he has no place being at Arsenal. He's still a great player, albeit on the decline, and is one of the few long-serving players we have left. I'm delighted we've signed Tierney as our long-term left-back option but Nacho is still a decent squad player who deserves more respect than he gets.

But it doesn't come.

I've not written Ozil off as "finished", nor have I said he has no place here. I'd love nothing more than for him to be resurgent this season and become a key member of this side again. I just don't think he has the fight for it and think as a team we are moving away from a playing style that suits him as a player.

There's also the fact that Monreal earns around 4x less than Ozil and is far more versatile. If Ozil was on Monreal's wages I would be happier to see him stay, even if he was only a squad player. The truth is he's one of the best paid players in world football and has not come close to justifying what we pay him since he signed his new contract.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:09 pm

ag6789 wrote:Next two games will tell a lot about that( about Ceballos ). I'll be happy if he can replicate his performance against both Pool & Spuds, but that shouldn't stop Ozil returning to form. It should be looked upon as a boon if two very talented players compliment and collaborate with each other. In any case, Ceballos will have a temporary effect since his good form will only encourage RealM to end his loan deal, whereas Ozil is here to stay.
Ozil is off in january.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:39 pm

Just finished watching the whole of yesterdays game.

Ceballos, my god, what a fkin baller.

We loan out Nketiah and Reiss Nelson, while Madrid are loaning out players like Ceballos ffs.

There are levels to this game.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:55 pm

Angelito wrote:

Your post in the Monreal thread applies to Ozil as well:

But it doesn't come.

Monreal isn't making 350k a week.

If Ozil's pay was in line with his performances there would be far less criticism of him.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 pm

Bring Bergkamp out of retirement, too. He's done it in the past.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:41 am

jayramfootball wrote:
Dejan wrote:Nketiah is not top talent. He is average.

We'll see how that one turns out.
I think we can close the book on whether loaning Ceballos was a good thing, though. It was, and I don't feel it made us look like Crystal Palace at all.
Well done to Kroenke and team for bringing him in.
:arse flag.gif:

Who claimed loaning Ceballos made us look like Crystal Palace? How can loaning any Real Madrid player make us look like Crystal Palace? What an absurd statement to make if thats true. I daresay it was knee jerking from our summer activities, people flapping their wings in panic like a girl (no disrespect to girls of course).
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football