Steve Bould is the problem

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Steve Bould is the problem

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm

I don't recall Pat Rice being more animated than Bould.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby KG3 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:27 pm

Bet if we sacked Wenger and put Bould in charge you'd see an improvement in the defence, clearly Wenger is restricting him I remember a few years back when bould was in charge against Dortmund away as Wenger was banned and he was animated and shouting orders and so on and I believe we won that game 1-0.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:33 pm

Defense is a team attitude and strategy/tactic. It's not like you just tell the back 4 or 3 how to defend, it's the whole team that has to defend as a unit within a certain tactic/strategy. If Wenger inserts his type of overall strategy, there is probably only so much Bould is allowed to do to tweak that to enhance our overall defense without also changing Wengers overall tactics. Now if our defenders make the same school boy errors constantly, then that is where Bould would be at fault I think. Unless Wenger holds him back from really having a go at them or something.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby starmandb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:27 pm

KG3 wrote:Bet if we sacked Wenger and put Bould in charge you'd see an improvement in the defence, clearly Wenger is restricting him I remember a few years back when bould was in charge against Dortmund away as Wenger was banned and he was animated and shouting orders and so on and I believe we won that game 1-0.

Wenger was in charge when we won at Dortmund in 2013
Ramsey turned in an ozil cross
Bould record during Wenger touch line bans
Montpelier ( a) w 2-1
Olympiakos ( h) w 3-1
Schalke( h) l 2-0
Southampton ( a) fa cup w 5-0
Watford h l 2-1
Chelsea ( a ) l 3-1
Hull ( h) w 2-0
Notts for ( a) l 4-2
Chelsea( a) league cup semi 0-0
Bournemouth ( a) l 2-1
I know it sounds like cherry picking but I would largely disregard the 2018 results as it has come in a period of chaos
Wenger while here is casting a big shadow
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby KG3 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:18 am

starmandb wrote:
KG3 wrote:Bet if we sacked Wenger and put Bould in charge you'd see an improvement in the defence, clearly Wenger is restricting him I remember a few years back when bould was in charge against Dortmund away as Wenger was banned and he was animated and shouting orders and so on and I believe we won that game 1-0.

Montpelier ( a) w 2-1
Olympiakos ( h) w 3-1
Schalke( h) l 2-0
Watford h l 2-1
Chelsea ( a ) l 3-1
Hull ( h) w 2-0
Notts for ( a) l 4-2
Bournemouth ( a) l 2-1
I know it sounds like cherry picking but I would largely disregard the 2018 results as it has come in a period of chaos

Was bould not in charge when Sanogo scored the winner against Dortmund?
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:22 am

It is not a Steve Bould issue. Wenger’s idea of defense is to control the midfield. If you keep possession for long stretches you reduce the pressure on the defenders. That’s why he always goes for the ball playing midfielders. It works well when everything pays off and makes us a fluent easy on the eye attacking side. However the last few seasons he has struggled to find that midfield combo. It starts with the Xhaka/Wilshere/Ramsey nexus. They are all attacking minded and there is no one sweeping up like a Kante. This along with the full backs being so advanced is goING to mess up any defense.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 am

KG3 wrote:
starmandb wrote:

Montpelier ( a) w 2-1
Olympiakos ( h) w 3-1
Schalke( h) l 2-0
Watford h l 2-1
Chelsea ( a ) l 3-1
Hull ( h) w 2-0
Notts for ( a) l 4-2
Bournemouth ( a) l 2-1

Was bould not in charge when Sanogo scored the winner against Dortmund?

No
starmandb

Postby PairyGrows » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:01 am

Arsene Nose wrote:It is not a Steve Bould issue. Wenger’s idea of defense is to control the midfield. If you keep possession for long stretches you reduce the pressure on the defenders. That’s why he always goes for the ball playing midfielders. It works well when everything pays off and makes us a fluent easy on the eye attacking side. However the last few seasons he has struggled to find that midfield combo. It starts with the Xhaka/Wilshere/Ramsey nexus. They are all attacking minded and there is no one sweeping up like a Kante. This along with the full backs being so advanced is goING to mess up any defense.

We've known this for years and years. Why hasn't Wenger done anything about it?
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Arsene Nose » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

PairyGrows wrote:
Arsene Nose wrote:It is not a Steve Bould issue. Wenger’s idea of defense is to control the midfield. If you keep possession for long stretches you reduce the pressure on the defenders. That’s why he always goes for the ball playing midfielders. It works well when everything pays off and makes us a fluent easy on the eye attacking side. However the last few seasons he has struggled to find that midfield combo. It starts with the Xhaka/Wilshere/Ramsey nexus. They are all attacking minded and there is no one sweeping up like a Kante. This along with the full backs being so advanced is goING to mess up any defense.

We've known this for years and years. Why hasn't Wenger done anything about it?

He’s made a few errors of judgement. Ramsey and Wilshere together in a midfield is dangerous. The. You have Ozil who starts automatically and while xhaka has creative qualities, he’s a liability breaking up play. Players like Pjanic bring that all around ability to thmake midfield that we are missing. It’s franklly a scouting and recruiting issue.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk