Rate the January window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Rate the January window

Postby Ismail Kader » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 am

6/10

Good buy but without good defenders Good-bye to victorious journey this season.
Ismail Kader
Liam Brady

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:36 am

EliteKiller wrote:
Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:9/10. I would have given it a 10/10 had we not sold Giroud.

I respect your opinion but how, when we clearly need a DCM and a new Keeper, is that window a 9/10 .... or is it just 9/10 compared with previous windows or taken against the gloom and doom of the last five years? Even after spending 120m on two new strikers, Laca and Aube, we are still showing a 2m profit across the last two windows ....

Compare that with our rivals all of whom have invested very large amounts in adding to their squads .... City 220m, Utd 152m, Liverpool 0m (but spent the 142m fron Coutinho) Chelsea 53m, even feckin' Spuds 20m ........

I get that Aube is a 'great headline' and I fervently hope he will replace Alexis goals and assists (80 goals in 165 games with 37 assists)

But when we're part of a 'top six' standing still just won't cut it .... especially when we're already 6th in that list .....

As I said happy to listen to why you think this represents a 9/10 .... and you're not alone so maybe I'm just missing something .....

This was January where it was not as easy to sign quality players and we have got one top quality in Auba and another very good one in Mkhi. We have offloaded Theo and Debuchy who were not part of the scheme of things this season.

We were the biggest spenders in that window with £61.8m. I have made umpteen posts saying how we need a GK, DM and a CB but i feel the summer window will be the right one for that as the pool of players available in the summer will be bigger. I think we did very good business in January as getting a player of Auba's quality in the mid season window is a huge deal imho. We used to go for leftover scraps in majority of January windows but for once we have put money where our mouth is.

A window which could have been disastrous for us with only Sanchez leaving has turned in to one where we got two quality players in, i say deserves a lot of praise. The only irksome thing for me is selling Giroud as him going to Chelsea could have been easily avoided had we finished off the Auba deal much earlier in the window.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:46 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:This was January where it was not as easy to sign quality players and we have got one top quality in Auba and another very good one in Mkhi. We have offloaded Theo and Debuchy who were not part of the scheme of things this season.

We were the biggest spenders in that window with £61.8m. I have made umpteen posts saying how we need a GK, DM and a CB but i feel the summer window will be the right one for that as the pool of players available in the summer will be bigger. I think we did very good business in January as getting a player of Auba's quality in the mid season window is a huge deal imho. We used to go for leftover scraps in majority of January windows but for once we have put money where our mouth is.

A window which could have been disastrous for us with only Sanchez leaving has turned in to one where we got two quality players in, i say deserves a lot of praise. The only irksome thing for me is selling Giroud as him going to Chelsea could have been easily avoided had we finished off the Auba deal much earlier in the window.

Fair enough .... and I agree what could have been 'the mother of all bad windows' was indeed pretty good at the finish ... FYI Liverpool spent more but I take your point .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerBeatYa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:12 am

If we added a defensive midfielder and defender with what we already achieved in Jan then 10/10 but for what we got I would say 7/10. If anyone said you would be getting Mk and PEA and Ozil signing in the winter you would of bit their hands off.

" I eat football. Sleep football. I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate."
- Thierry Henry
GoonerBeatYa
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 am

Alexis, Giroud, Walcott and Coquelin (and Debuchy) out, PEA and Mikky in. Progress?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:08 am

Definitely progress although we have 3 positions to fill in the summer
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:20 am

EliteKiller wrote:Not sure how this rates as a 9/10 ....

We started the window with an attacking seven of Ramsey / Wilshere / Ozil / Walnut / Sanchez / Lacca / Giroud plus our average back-ups

We ended the window with an attacking six Ramsey / Wilshere / Ozil / Mkhi / Aube / Lacca plus those same average back-ups

Is that a stronger line-up? only time will tell .....

We also started the window with glaring holes at DCM and GK ..... we ended the window with those same glaring holes .....

In terms of PR and Media maybe a 7 but in terms of improving the team .... it's not even a 5 .....

This, whats with the high ratings. We lost Sanchez and got PEA. Ozil signing a contract IS NOT A TRANSFER. We got Mikhi. We lost Giroud and Walcott and replaced them with nobody. So its like a 3 or a 4 for me !!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk