Rate the January window

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Rate the January window

Postby Mike Dean » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:45 pm

For a january transfer window with limited players and options available:

9/10.

Would have given them 10/10 if they dropped or sold Welbeck. Would have truly shown ambition going forward.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:50 pm

mike mate u need to change ur avatar asap

it has a snake in it
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Mike Dean » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:15 pm

Working on it....
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:49 pm

This season has actually been crazy in terms of how much the squad has changed. We've signed four players - PEA, Mkhi, Lacazette and Kolasinac - but have moved on Oxlade-Chamberlain, Gibbs, Szczesny, Gabriel, Coquelin, Walcott, Alexis, Debuchy and Giroud in the space of around 5 months. Mertesacker is gone at the end of the season too and Cazorla is seemingly done for at this point.

Think we're gonna need 4-5 players in the summer, both to improve the first team and bolster our numbers.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:13 pm

Once again it's a case of buy whoever's good value, not necessarily what we need.

He bought Auba because he was cheap. That's the only reason.

He didn't manage to buy any defenders when that was what we clearly needed.

Its always been his game. Go down the shops and see what's on offer. If there's an offer on bread buy it. "What's that you say, we needed milk? But milk wasn't on offer stupid. Drink your bread."
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby PairyGrows » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:54 pm

UFGN wrote:Once again it's a case of buy whoever's good value, not necessarily what we need.

Its always been his game. Go down the shops and see what's on offer. If there's an offer on bread buy it. "What's that you say, we needed milk? But milk wasn't on offer stupid. Drink your bread."

I agree. Even when we haven't had a lot of money to spend, Wenger has spent the vast majority of our budget on attacking players. He tends to neglect the defensive players in his plans.

For example, we're now paying two play makers (Özil and Mkhitaryan) high wages while having no cover for Bellerin. We've spent more than £100 million on strikers (Aubameyang and Lacazette) while having no distinguished defensive midfielder in our squad. Surely we've mismanaged our "very limited" resources.

I can't help thinking Wenger isn't buying well.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby UFGN » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:59 pm

PairyGrows wrote:
UFGN wrote:Once again it's a case of buy whoever's good value, not necessarily what we need.

I agree. Even when we haven't had a lot of money to spend, Wenger has spent the vast majority of our budget on attacking players. He tends to neglect the defensive players in his plans.

For example, we're now paying two play makers (Özil and Mkhitaryan) high wages while having no cover for Bellerin. We've spent more than £100 million on strikers (Aubameyang and Lacazette) while having no distinguished defensive midfielder in our squad. Surely we've mismanaged our "very limited" resources.

I can't help thinking Wenger isn't buying well.

It was the same when we bought Ozil. Good value. Great player, but should have been a low priority at the time. In that window a midfielder was about the only thing we didn't need.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:09 am

Tbf I have to take issue with the above.

I heard on AFTV who apparently heard it from an inside source that Stan Kroenke basically told Wenger & co, you can spend whatever you make from transfers.

i.e spend the value you make only and all the structural profit from the club gets kept as profit.

Now don't get me wrong Wenger is completely complicit, he doesn't even spend what we make of transfers hence why they've made him the highest paid manager in football ........ because he's made them rich.

Gazidis and his cohorts seem to have other ideas now, yes they bought PEA because he was cheap but tbf you don't turn down WC players of that calibre when your working within a budget set by the board .......... to top it off we've needed a WC striker since RVP.

........... also they did bid for Evans but Pardew knew we we're keen and tried to maximise the sale money, tbf would we really give Pardew £25m for a player they are losing in 6 months time?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:14 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Tbf I have to take issue with the above.

I heard on AFTV who apparently heard it from an inside source that Stan Kroenke basically told Wenger & co, you can spend whatever you make from transfers.

i.e spend the value you make only and all the structural profit from the club gets kept as profit.

Now don't get me wrong Wenger is completely complicit, he doesn't even spend what we make of transfers hence why they've made him the highest paid manager in football ........ because he's made them rich.

Gazidis and his cohorts seem to have other ideas now, yes they bought PEA because he was cheap but tbf you don't turn down WC players of that calibre when your working within a budget set by the board .......... to top it off we've needed a WC striker since RVP.

........... also they did bid for Evans but Pardew knew we we're keen and tried to maximise the sale money, tbf would we really give Pardew £25m for a player they are losing in 6 months time?

Give me five mins I'll give you a list of 5-10 players roughly as good as Evans for the same money or less....

You know I could. Anyone could

UFGN

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:07 am

Not sure how this rates as a 9/10 ....

We started the window with an attacking seven of Ramsey / Wilshere / Ozil / Walnut / Sanchez / Lacca / Giroud plus our average back-ups

We ended the window with an attacking six Ramsey / Wilshere / Ozil / Mkhi / Aube / Lacca plus those same average back-ups

Is that a stronger line-up? only time will tell .....

We also started the window with glaring holes at DCM and GK ..... we ended the window with those same glaring holes .....

In terms of PR and Media maybe a 7 but in terms of improving the team .... it's not even a 5 .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:09 am

8/10

- Mkhi, Auba great singings
- Definitely improves our attack as Alexis has been toilet this season
- Most significant loss is Giroud, but Auba negates that
- Didn't really need anyone else bar a David Luiz-esque player
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Mike Dean » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:02 am

Sims wrote:mike mate u need to change ur avatar asap

it has a snake in it

better bro?

Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:10 am

9/10. I would have given it a 10/10 had we not sold Giroud.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Ismail Kader » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 am

5/10

Without effective and intelligent defenders any team is vulnerable. Wenger has made the biggest mistake by not bringing in good defenders. Mustafi is amateurish. Laurent Koscielny is unstabble. Bellerin is immatured. Who is there to defend?
Ismail Kader
Liam Brady

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:03 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:9/10. I would have given it a 10/10 had we not sold Giroud.

I respect your opinion but how, when we clearly need a DCM and a new Keeper, is that window a 9/10 .... or is it just 9/10 compared with previous windows or taken against the gloom and doom of the last five years? Even after spending 120m on two new strikers, Laca and Aube, we are still showing a 2m profit across the last two windows ....

Compare that with our rivals all of whom have invested very large amounts in adding to their squads .... City 220m, Utd 152m, Liverpool 0m (but spent the 142m fron Coutinho) Chelsea 53m, even feckin' Spuds 20m ........

I get that Aube is a 'great headline' and I fervently hope he will replace Alexis goals and assists (80 goals in 165 games with 37 assists)

But when we're part of a 'top six' standing still just won't cut it .... especially when we're already 6th in that list .....

As I said happy to listen to why you think this represents a 9/10 .... and you're not alone so maybe I'm just missing something .....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk