Konstantinos Mavropanos

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Konstantinos Mavropanos

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:
KG3 wrote:I'm all for signing young talents and all but do we really need more young centre back prospects we already have Chambers, Bielik and Holding then the more experienced lot in Mertesacker, Mustafi and Koscielny. If anything we need more experienced ones as Mertesacker will be gone at the end of the season, Koscielny is 32 and plays through pain these days then theirs Mustafi who wanted out last summer.

I think our club should be able to set apart 10-15 million for these ventures, could get 4-5 of these type of players each season and hope for the best. Plus, he's going out on loan, so not going to be on the bench. Imagine if he does well in the Bundesliga, that'll be more experience than Holding has even now.

Personally think Chambers has potential, but Holding is not mentally strong enough to be a CB for us

At a club like ours 10-15 million is the difference between signing someone top class or not signing them, we're so cheap that every penny counts. Wenger and co are always whining about not being able to compete, or not enough money being available and yet they waste money on nobodies on a regular basis.

This isn't some normal club, it's a freakish interpretation of a football club that charges sky high prices and not only spends as little as possible but also delivers a substandard product, as a business it wouldn't last long in the real world.

The day the club has enough sense to understand this, these signings again, won't matter.

If we were any normal club, you coud just accept it and say why not take a punt, but with penny pinchers like us it's a different story, we'll literally give up signing someone for the sake of 1 or 2 million.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:
KG3 wrote:I'm all for signing young talents and all but do we really need more young centre back prospects we already have Chambers, Bielik and Holding then the more experienced lot in Mertesacker, Mustafi and Koscielny. If anything we need more experienced ones as Mertesacker will be gone at the end of the season, Koscielny is 32 and plays through pain these days then theirs Mustafi who wanted out last summer.

I think our club should be able to set apart 10-15 million for these ventures, could get 4-5 of these type of players each season and hope for the best. Plus, he's going out on loan, so not going to be on the bench. Imagine if he does well in the Bundesliga, that'll be more experience than Holding has even now.

Personally think Chambers has potential, but Holding is not mentally strong enough to be a CB for us

At a club like ours 10-15 million is the difference between signing someone top class or not signing them, we're so cheap that every penny counts. Wenger and co are always whining about not being able to compete, or not enough money being available and yet they waste money on nobodies on a regular basis.

This isn't some normal club, it's a freakish interpretation of a football club that charges sky high prices and not only spends as little as possible but also delivers a substandard product, as a business it wouldn't last long in the real world.

The day the club has enough sense to understand this, these signings again, won't matter.

If we were any normal club, you coud just accept it and say why not take a punt, but with penny pinchers like us it's a different story, we'll literally give up signing someone for the sake of 1 or 2 million.

That list you gave me. Let's assume we bought none of them. Do you think we'd have bought one more world class player, yes or no?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:Vasilis added: "He’s considered the ‘next big thing’ in terms of Greek defenders after the likes of Panagiotis Retsos (Bayer Leverkusen), Sokratis (Borussia Dortmund) and Manolas (Roma) left Greece for Europe.

"Olympiakos was close to signing him in October for €1m. However, it was not an official offer from Olympiakos. They wanted to have the first refusal on the player if he became for sale in January. PAS told them that if they received a better offer from outside they will accept it, which is why he is now heading to Arsenal."

Also shares the same agent with Sokratis btw, you can tell a lot about a player from the agent he has.

I don't think any of those defenders are all that to be honest so that doesn't say much to me, Greece doesn't really have any standout talents. Dortmund aren't the team they use to be either.

We're signing him for what 2 1/2 times that, we must have the worst negotiators in football if Olympiakos nearly got him for 1 million Euros a few months ago.

I'm not hopeful about this guy at all, we've had plenty of better known youngsters fail.

Sokratis would be the 2nd best defender at the club tbh

Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:Additional Info for those interested:
"Interestingly, Arsenal’s chief scout Sven Mislintat watched Greece Under-20s play last summer and signed young Olympiakos player Argiris Kampetsis (for Mislintat's former club Borussia Dortmund). He clearly has knowledge of the Greek market and Mavropanos’ arrival could be the start of similar signings, if his previous work is anything to go by.

Giannis Petrakis trusted him enough to put him in the starting line-up for games against Veria and AEK Athens this season, and he was voted man of the match against AEK. AEK Athens were Runners Up in the Superleague Greece btw

Might be true, but then Xhaka was supposedly a world beater and in the Bundesligue team of the season, yet he can't pass, tackle of defend so these facts don't mean a lot in reality.

Heard this hype about these youngsters many times before, that's all it is hype, mostly unwarranted.

Those who watched Bundesliga said Xhaka was shit before he joined us.

SchlandGooner wrote:I think we could buy a better midfielder for the rumoured 40+m tbh.
He's apart from his age no real upgrade from what we already have but maybe he surprises me.
Imo he commits way to many fouls and his tackling isn't that good also his passing is overrated and his shooting is kind of horrible also he is always good for an error. Personally I also don't like his regular dribblings against pressing opponents with only 1-2 defender behind him. If you focus on defensive stats (per 90min) in the league and compare him with Flamini (who has no standing here) he isn't really better. Imo there are more interesting and most likely cheaper players in the Bundesliga we could think about.

Stats from Xhaka, Flamini, Dahoud (first season as starter), Elneny, Cazorla focussed on passing and defensive shizzle
http://tinyurl.com/zqclabb

And before someone start mention it I already wrote multiple times that I wish Ramsey would move to another club cause I guess he won't develope under Wenger to his full potential.

gooney also flatly said that he was Elneny-Coquelin level
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:56 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:

That list you gave me. Let's assume we bought none of them. Do you think we'd have bought one more world class player, yes or no?

Probably not, because Wenger is so cheap, but you never know. What I do know is that he saturated the 1st team and club with so many young players over the years that it's no longer a novelty or indeed exciting to see them appear in the first team. The latest guy for example Iwobi is absolute rubbish.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:00 pm

GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:Vasilis added: "He’s considered the ‘next big thing’ in terms of Greek defenders after the likes of Panagiotis Retsos (Bayer Leverkusen), Sokratis (Borussia Dortmund) and Manolas (Roma) left Greece for Europe.

"Olympiakos was close to signing him in October for €1m. However, it was not an official offer from Olympiakos. They wanted to have the first refusal on the player if he became for sale in January. PAS told them that if they received a better offer from outside they will accept it, which is why he is now heading to Arsenal."

Also shares the same agent with Sokratis btw, you can tell a lot about a player from the agent he has.

I don't think any of those defenders are all that to be honest so that doesn't say much to me, Greece doesn't really have any standout talents. Dortmund aren't the team they use to be either.

We're signing him for what 2 1/2 times that, we must have the worst negotiators in football if Olympiakos nearly got him for 1 million Euros a few months ago.

I'm not hopeful about this guy at all, we've had plenty of better known youngsters fail.

Sokratis would be the 2nd best defender at the club tbh

Özim wrote:
GoonerAlexandre wrote:Additional Info for those interested:
"Interestingly, Arsenal’s chief scout Sven Mislintat watched Greece Under-20s play last summer and signed young Olympiakos player Argiris Kampetsis (for Mislintat's former club Borussia Dortmund). He clearly has knowledge of the Greek market and Mavropanos’ arrival could be the start of similar signings, if his previous work is anything to go by.

Giannis Petrakis trusted him enough to put him in the starting line-up for games against Veria and AEK Athens this season, and he was voted man of the match against AEK. AEK Athens were Runners Up in the Superleague Greece btw

Might be true, but then Xhaka was supposedly a world beater and in the Bundesligue team of the season, yet he can't pass, tackle of defend so these facts don't mean a lot in reality.

Heard this hype about these youngsters many times before, that's all it is hype, mostly unwarranted.

Those who watched Bundesliga said Xhaka was shit before he joined us.

SchlandGooner wrote:I think we could buy a better midfielder for the rumoured 40+m tbh.
He's apart from his age no real upgrade from what we already have but maybe he surprises me.
Imo he commits way to many fouls and his tackling isn't that good also his passing is overrated and his shooting is kind of horrible also he is always good for an error. Personally I also don't like his regular dribblings against pressing opponents with only 1-2 defender behind him. If you focus on defensive stats (per 90min) in the league and compare him with Flamini (who has no standing here) he isn't really better. Imo there are more interesting and most likely cheaper players in the Bundesliga we could think about.

Stats from Xhaka, Flamini, Dahoud (first season as starter), Elneny, Cazorla focussed on passing and defensive shizzle
http://tinyurl.com/zqclabb

And before someone start mention it I already wrote multiple times that I wish Ramsey would move to another club cause I guess he won't develope under Wenger to his full potential.

gooney also flatly said that he was Elneny-Coquelin level

Not hard to be 2nd best defender because quite frankly our defenders are rubbish, so it would be no great achievement.

As for Xhaka I also thought he was a waste of time, fact is though some people said he can't be bad if he's in the Bundesligue team of the season and reckoned he was top notch. My point was that hearsay doesn't mean a lot, all these young players get hyped up something chronic, very few ever make it, how many have we found in the 100s we've wasted money on.

A for the people looking for players, sometimes they get someone decent, sometimes they don't, like I said Dortmund aren't all that and haven't been since Klopp left and the hard facts are Wenger will have final say like he always does and the guy doesn't have a clue about what makes a decent player despite his 20,000 substitutions.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:54 am

Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Zenith » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:53 am

ScoutNation just uploaded a compilation of him;

Looks physically imposing, mobile and hard as nails imo. Greeks are generally very passionate players and looking at this video you can tell he just loves to defend.

Now bring in his compatriot Kostas Manolas whose contract expires in 2019. :thumbsup:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:14 am

^not going to lie, I liked what I saw in that video. Im sure PG will at least like that he’s 6’3 :)

Also i see that pace is listed as one of his weaknesses but he looks pretty quick to me going by the video
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Mike Dean » Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:03 am

How is he slow??

We have fielded Per out there lol....
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:12 am

Mike Dean wrote:How is he slow??

We have fielded Per out there lol....

Faster than Chambers too lol
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:02 am

Arsene Wenger has confirmed Konstantinos Mavropanos’s move to Arsenal has been completed, but the defender will be sent out on loan..........but he’s not ready to play or run,” Wenger said. lol only at Arsenal WTF buy him then??
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:03 am

Nuggets wrote:Arsene Wenger has confirmed Konstantinos Mavropanos’s move to Arsenal has been completed, but the defender will be sent out on loan..........but he’s not ready to play or run,” Wenger said. lol only at Arsenal WTF buy him then??

Because he's young and haws potential to be an ATG
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:16 am

2.2m is no money .... this is a player for three years in the future .... long, long, long after Arsene has gone ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:17 am

GoonerAlexandre wrote:
Nuggets wrote:Arsene Wenger has confirmed Konstantinos Mavropanos’s move to Arsenal has been completed, but the defender will be sent out on loan..........but he’s not ready to play or run,” Wenger said. lol only at Arsenal WTF buy him then??

Because he's young and haws potential to be an ATG

With our shit defence would it make more sense to buy somebody we could use now? just a thought.
Nuggets

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:22 am

There’s a thing called player development

We’re likely to bring in a CB in the summer too, expecting a first team centre half in Jan is a stretch for us
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to World Football