David Luiz

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: David Luiz (23)

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:58 pm

swipe right wrote:Didn’t take Fat Frank long to bin him.

Cos lampard is the example we should follow?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Yago » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:23 pm

Ach wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:TBF, he's an improvement on mustafi, koscielny and chambers.

Yup but apparently he has to have a sixth sense of knowing when the ball is going to be deflected and where it's going.

mate he was making sure all of burnley's forwards where onside
Yago
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner
2018 World Cup Predictions League Winner

Postby Ach » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:38 pm

Which wouldn't have mattered had the ball not been deflected. But he didn't have the foresight to see this.

Should be hung
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:55 pm

It's not about being Nostradamus, it's about being proactive by maintaining the back four in a straight, lateral line, in order to utelise the offside rule, should the ball deliberately, or inadvertently, end up in a dangerous area.

It was a positional error by both Luiz and Guendouzi to be as deep as they were. Those who played football will know you learn basic stuff like this around the age of 12.

Proactive defending > Reactive defending.

If I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake.
    — Paolo Maldini

Yago is absolutely right.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:29 pm

not sure if that quote is legit but given maldini made around 3 tackles a game (david luiz around 1.5 in last 3 years) then maldini mustve made a fair few himself

clearly david luiz > paolo maldini imo
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Not to be taken literally and with consideration for context. What Maldini means is that defending is first and foremost about the proactive side (anticipation, positioning), before it's about the reactive side (tackling, duels).

There are plenty situations in the game where a defender needs to cover for someone else's mistake, thus the average amount of tackles per game should be taken with a grain of salt. Also heavily dependent on team quality, the manager's philosophy and how much possession the team keeps/yields on average each game.

If Luiz' reading of the game was half as good as Maldini's, he wouldn't be facing anywhere near as much criticism as he has over the years.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Sims » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:46 pm

i was only joking about, but i saw/heard somewhere that maldini in world cups combined averaged like 3.4 tackles a game, and in his last season at milan averaged 3.9

im still comfortable with david luiz, his brainfarts thus far weren't as infuriating as watching mustafi. the first one though he shouldve been positioned in line it's quite unfortunate, the second one was pretty much stupid instinct - but if he leaves salah alone then it's a goal regardless

also if he didnt get that yellow on salah to begin with he wouldve absolutely took him out before he scored the third

solid performance against spurs please david
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Sims wrote:i was only joking about, but i saw/heard somewhere that maldini in world cups combined averaged like 3.4 tackles a game, and in his last season at milan averaged 3.9

im still comfortable with david luiz, his brainfarts thus far weren't as infuriating as watching mustafi. the first one though he shouldve been positioned in line it's quite unfortunate, the second one was pretty much stupid instinct - but if he leaves salah alone then it's a goal regardless

also if he didnt get that yellow on salah to begin with he wouldve absolutely took him out before he scored the third

He's gotta be aware that he has a yellow though and then in that case don't come so tight on Salah, especially when nobody is behind you to help out. Two huge mental mistakes that we'll never be able to afford against a team like them, or really against anybody for that matter, because we haven't proven to be good enough to overcome those consistently yet.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby theHotHead » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:35 pm

Tony_Adams wrote:TBF, he's an improvement on mustafi, koscielny and chambers.

This !!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Mess » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:44 pm

I didn't value him as a Chelsea player and was not happy when we signed this trainwreck of a defender. Why would anyone value a defender so prone to brain farts and idiotic mistakes? The Mustafi experiment wasn't enough? The Squilacci disaster wasn't enough? That shirt pulling from a veteran like Luiz was simply unforgivable. And what about that stupid gamble with Salah? That's schoolboy defending...from a veteran defender. I'm not having it: Luiz was a poor buy. It does not improve Arsenal one bit.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Zanatos3 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:04 pm

Zanatos3
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby coach8smallball » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:06 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:i was only joking about, but i saw/heard somewhere that maldini in world cups combined averaged like 3.4 tackles a game, and in his last season at milan averaged 3.9

He's gotta be aware that he has a yellow though and then in that case don't come so tight on Salah, especially when nobody is behind you to help out. Two huge mental mistakes that we'll never be able to afford against a team like them, or really against anybody for that matter, because we haven't proven to be good enough to overcome those consistently yet.

agreed, but the ball should not have gotten there, xhaka was so slow to press the outlet pass. granted, luiz could've backed off and contained salah. he took a big risk and of course salah made us pay for it.

i'm with sims, willing to put up luiz cuz he's much better than mustafi. just needs to clean it up a bit.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Mess » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:23 pm

coach8smallball wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

agreed, but the ball should not have gotten there, xhaka was so slow to press the outlet pass. granted, luiz could've backed off and contained salah. he took a big risk and of course salah made us pay for it.

i'm with sims, willing to put up luiz cuz he's much better than mustafi. just needs to clean it up a bit.

But that's the whole point right there: He won't change at 32. He won't "clean up ". It's like when some says that "x player" just need more confidence to get going when you can clearly see that technique, rather than confidence, IS the main issue. It can only get marginally better when technique is poor.

All of this to say: I don't feel any safer with Luiz than with Mustafi. He'll cost us again this year and it's obvious to see.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:32 pm

alexafc12 wrote:How many of the pubbers slating him after 2 games are the same pubbers calling posters trolls for criticising Unai after more than 1 year of mediocrity. Levels.

Legit point.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Mess » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:23 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
alexafc12 wrote:How many of the pubbers slating him after 2 games are the same pubbers calling posters trolls for criticising Unai after more than 1 year of mediocrity. Levels.

Legit point.

Not legit one bit. It's not like we haven't seen Luiz play with Chelsea and for Brazil, for years. Emery has been at Arsenal for one, single, year.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

PreviousNext

Return to World Football