Cech replacement?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Which stopper(s) do you think qualify as a competent, realistic long-term successor of big Pete?

Alban Lafont (1999) Image
15%
Gianluigi Donnarumma (1999) Image
27%
André Onana (1996) Image
No votes
Jordan Pickford (1994) Image
4%
Kepa Arrizabalaga (1994) Image
No votes
Pau López (1994) Image
No votes
Jack Butland (1993) Image
8%
Sergio Rico (1993) Image
4%
Timo Horn (1993) Image
8%
Alphonse Areola (1993) Image
No votes
Jan Oblak (1993) Image
8%
Gerónimo Rulli (1992) Image
No votes
Bernd Leno (1992) Image
4%
Marc-André ter Stegen (1992) Image
4%
Mattia Perin (1992) Image
No votes
Anthony Lopes (1990) Image
No votes
Oliver Baumann (1990) Image
4%
Roman Bürki (1990) Image
No votes
Sergio Asenjo (1989) Image
No votes
Lukáš Hrádecký (1989) Image
No votes
Ralf Fährmann (1988) Image
No votes
Rui Patrício (1988) Image
No votes
Yann Sommer (1988) Image
No votes
Stéphane Ruffier (1986) Image
No votes
Keylor Navas (1986) Image
No votes
Kasper Schmeichel (1986) Image
12%
Samir Handanovič (1984) Image
No votes
Other (Please specifiy)
4%

Total votes : 26

Re: Cech replacement?

Postby Zenith » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:36 pm

↑ Unlike Cech, Handanovic at 34 has shown no signs of regression. In fact he's one of those keepers who has gotten better and better with age. Not every keeper has the same fixed progression and regression curve; for all we know he could go on and continue to have a Buffon/van der Sar-esque career which would mean he has another 5-7 good seasons in him, which would qualify as long-term for many.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby KG3 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:47 am

What you guys need to understand is that all these young goalkeepers you want like Oblak, Donnarumma and Leno etc are never going to reach their full potential at Arsenal, just look at Szczesny 5 years as Arsenal number one and absolutely zero progression and 2 years in Italy and signs of progression. He even said it himself...

“The one thing I want to do is make sure I don’t stay still,” he says. “I was quite still for five years – sometimes I played better, sometimes worse, sometimes phenomenal, sometimes rubbish. You take steps forwards and backwards. It is not very good for your head if you go up and down and up and down. I want to try to keep going up, with my quality and with my decisions that I make. I am 27, the best I have ever been, I still have room to improve and I want to make sure that room doesn’t stay empty. I want to go into that room. It feels like a big moment.”

“The biggest thing I have taken away from these two years at Roma is the fact I grew as a goalkeeper. It’s just raising your levels, your standards. I absorbed a bigger knowledge of football, the tactical side of the game. You don’t see me with that rush of blood that I used to have as a younger keeper. It’s not that I don’t feel that rush of blood but tactically you are more aware of when to be involved, when to let the defenders recover.”

This is the reason why on old age Cech was an upgrade the moment he came into the Arsenal team, he not only came with the skill set but had that knowledge drilled into him at Chelsea, like I said any young keeper we buy will just stagnate for the next few years with our coaching staff like Szczesny did.

Anyway on a side note I am personally happy with Cech as long as we aren't giving away dodgy pens or defending poorly he does his job when called upon which is all you can ask from from a goalkeeper. De Gea and Neuer aside no goalkeeper can look good in games when your defence is playing poorly on a consistent basis.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:06 am

Scez is still shiite though
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:28 am

Our goalkeeping problems will disappear once Gerry peyton fucks off