Now that's over .........

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Now that's over .........

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:29 pm

Well lets look at it this way ...........

No more Bellerin on the Left now that Ox is gone we'll have to play Monreal or Koselniac there.

We get the front three of Alexis / Lacazette / Ozil and if we can't do some damage with that then there's no helping us.

We are down to 4 midfielders, Ramsey, Xhaka, Coquelin, Elneney, two of this lot need to step up and badly.

Hopefully if Mustafi can find his place in the squad again we could be ok but if we're playing 3 CB's we're going to need Mertesacker on top of Holding to step up, not even sure how we can play 3 CB's now that Gabriel has gone?

My expectations have been lowered, Europa and top 8 here we come.

I'm not going to spend the year banging my head against the wall when it comes to Kroenke or Wenger because its either just get on backing the team or support another club, 2nd ones not an option imo.

Kroenke's the owner (and isn't selling) Wenger has just signed another 2 year deal and fans won't stop attending games in mass to change either of those situations so ............

The club will start drifting into a top 8 team, no more CL and Kroenke and co might start wondering where all the finances and sponsors are going plus lower ticket prices.

Maybe then he'll finally choke up and sell, because there is no way he ever becomes an owner who invests, no way in hell and back, he's a leech with only American interests so there it is.

Anyway I urge you to join me in letting it go and just backing the team and taking it game by game, maybe a bit of humility like what Liverpool and Utd went through will be good for us?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Re: Now that's over .........

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:33 pm

A bit of humility tho? Man, Haven't we been humbled enough recently?

I have a feeling it won't be as bad as we think. We have lost exactly zero starters and added two so I guess there is that.

Maybe in some weird twisted way getting this early nightmare out the way might prevent it from happening later; a bit like Chelsea last year.

I'm hoping we can go under the radar a bit, keep ticking along with little drama as possible and have a solid season finishing 3rd or 4th.

But who knows where everyone will be come May.
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Cripps » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 pm

Top 6 would be a success

Anything more is a bonus

That's all I'm expecting

Realistically. One of 6th, 7th or 8th is likely
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:39 pm

Cripps wrote:Top 6 would be a success

Anything more is a bonus

That's all I'm expecting

Realistically. One of 6th, 7th or 8th is likely

I think that's a little much personally.

We finished one point behind liverpool last year, they've added 2, as have we. I haven't actually been all that impressed with them until we went there and we were the worst team of all time on sunday.

A lot will change in the coming months, I'd advise everyone to not let the depression of this week cloud your mind as most teams will go through a wobble/crisis period at one point or another.
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:47 pm

Welp, the time I normally would spend watching us play will be used to do something else. Will still watch highlights; most likely of the games we win. Won’t bother with the ones where we don’t.

Hope the season doesn't turn out as or worse than expected
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Zedie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:04 pm

Can't see me not being pissed with every point lost tbf.

Supporting another team lol unless people mean going to a local small club which is fine imo.

I still expect us to fix the f**k up and smash through the EL. PL is written off for me from now, I'm hoping we can salvage some pride instead of being this year's banter club.

I'll be fully behind any non violent disruption to the club and I genuinely prey that Stanley kronke and his family lose all their money, respect and power in an unfortunate turn of events. f***ing W****rs.

I hope the end of this season sees Wenger finally give up although he's obvs not going to break contract, but I hope these next two years wear him down so much that he'll be itching to f**k off and spend his days making formal complaints to BT about their shite service (they f***ing deserve it).
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:17 pm

It's done .... so what are we left with?

Well having just gone through a season where expiring or run-down contracts for Arsene and three of our starting player caused nothing but grief what can awe look forward to this year?

Well 100% the "Wenger Out" side off the club will be more vocal, especially if we have another Liverpool result ...

and what about expiring contracts ;

Out Of Contract - so leaving on a free

Sanchez
Ozil
Wilshere
Cazorla
Macey

12 months left - so holding the club to ransom -

Ramsey
Giroud
Walcott
Welbeck
Monreal
Ospina
Cech
Debuchy
Akpom

If you think this summer was a cluster-feck just wait until January when clubs line up to pre-sign our 'freebies' and then next summer will be a giant fire-sale .... at least we'll make a big profit .... :hiding:

In the meantime unless Wonger gets going with signing these players on new contracts we will have FOURTEEN of our squad thinking about who they will be with in twelve months, that's all the dressing room, press, websites will talk about all season .... and what happens if some of them switch off? we're taking a huge risk ......
Last edited by EliteKiller on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby henrysghost » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:19 pm

We made money in the transfer window this year after not qualifying for CL for the first time in forever. We didnt spend any money at all to improve our squad. What a f***ing joke. We will be lucky to qualify for CL let alone compete for any meaningful trophies.
henrysghost
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Fenice » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:28 pm

We've been shit on for seasons now. We don't need humility we need action. United are on their third manager and god knows how much cash. Pool play great football and have a fantastic manager. What do we have? We've had a trial by fire for a decade now. Piss off with that.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:44 pm

Fenice wrote:We've been shit on for seasons now. We don't need humility we need action. United are on their third manager and god knows how much cash. Pool play great football and have a fantastic manager. What do we have? We've had a trial by fire for a decade now. Piss off with that.

How embarrassing will it be if Mourinho wins the league with United before we do, considering he's managed 4 different clubs since we last won the title in '04?
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:51 pm

Liverpool had to go through it, Tottenham have been going through it forever, we're relatively spoilt compared to 90% of clubs out there, time of for us to be that average football fan.

I guess I'm just tired of us thinking we're good enough or ever will be good enough to join that lofty 10%.

PSG will probably now become one of that 10% and you just saw what they had to fork out to do that.

One thing I've learned through this is forget what we think is important, fans concentrate on players and manager but now its more clear than ever that what makes a successful organisation is the owner / top brass full stop.

The ambition and standards of those who run the club is what counts, case in point Mike Ashley or Abramovich? Madrid, Barcelona you name it the controlling owner and board DEMAND success, demand the best, supply the funds, find the funds ....... whatever it takes.

An owner or board like that will get the best manager, get the best players, the best coaches.

Our issue is right there, fkin Stan Kroenke, would Wenger still have a job if he worked under Real Madrid? Abramovich?

You get the picture, we have an Everton, Spurs level capable regime at the moment ...... that is the Arsenal Football Club we have to get used to supporting for the time being.

I know people who support Newcastle ffs, time to be "real" fans or are we plastics?
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Fenice » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:55 pm

I don't accept mediocrity for us. We are the Arsenal. I'm not moving on that, they can move. Players need to force the club forward and if I need to I will watch but cancel my membership and stop buying merchandise. I'll just watch on the tele or at a pub.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:03 am

Fenice wrote:I don't accept mediocrity for us. We are the Arsenal. I'm not moving on that, they can move. Players need to force the club forward and if I need to I will watch but cancel my membership and stop buying merchandise. I'll just watch on the tele or at a pub.

That's my point it doesn't matter what we think its what Stan Kroenke thinks and he bought us because he saw a stable club that could bankroll his American ventures.

He loves his LA Rams, he couldn't give a fk about us.

That's like me stamping my feet and saying "We are Southampton" .......... (birds whistling), no one cares.

Maybe its because I grew up boxing, I look at things differently, talk is cheap currency, you either are or your not.

Atm we're not (elite) so that's that really.

In the words of the virgin Mary ...... "We've been screwed".
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:33 am

DiamondGooner wrote:Liverpool had to go through it, Tottenham have been going through it forever, we're relatively spoilt compared to 90% of clubs out there, time of for us to be that average football fan.

I guess I'm just tired of us thinking we're good enough or ever will be good enough to join that lofty 10%.

PSG will probably now become one of that 10% and you just saw what they had to fork out to do that.

One thing I've learned through this is forget what we think is important, fans concentrate on players and manager but now its more clear than ever that what makes a successful organisation is the owner / top brass full stop.

The ambition and standards of those who run the club is what counts, case in point Mike Ashley or Abramovich? Madrid, Barcelona you name it the controlling owner and board DEMAND success, demand the best, supply the funds, find the funds ....... whatever it takes.

An owner or board like that will get the best manager, get the best players, the best coaches.

Our issue is right there, fkin Stan Kroenke, would Wenger still have a job if he worked under Real Madrid? Abramovich?

You get the picture, we have an Everton, Spurs level capable regime at the moment ...... that is the Arsenal Football Club we have to get used to supporting for the time being.

I know people who support Newcastle ffs, time to be "real" fans or are we plastics?

Spurs have a structure in place we can only dream about .... spent net 300m less than us on players in the last ten years and yet still finished above us and have a squad valued higher than ours ... have a new training facility that makes ours look third world .... have a new stadium designed for the fans not the corporates .... and despite spending allegedly 800m on that stadium they have just spent 80m on four decent back-up players .... Spurs level? you're having a laugh ....

Everton sold a player for 75m but then they backed their manager with 150m of new players .... did we do that?

As for Newcastle .... they spent 35m .... we managed just 47m .... so yeah that's about our level ......
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby 22-0 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:41 am

Never accept this mediocrity.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk