4-2-3-1 is the only option if we sign Mahrez

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 4-2-3-1 is the only option if we sign Mahrez

Postby ESR10 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:14 pm

I don't think Mahrez is our best option, but he is the most realistic one.
Wenger will hesitate to buy Lacazette with his price tag.
2 new forward signings won't happen unless Alexis is leaving imo.

If we got Mahrez and kept Alexis and Özil, we can continue playing 3-4-2-1

Front three then:
------Alexis
Özil - Mahrez

If Sanchez left, Mahrez will be the replacement and a striker should hopefully come in. Front three then:
----Striker
Mahrez - Özil

I don't see Coquelin or Monreal starting for us in any formation btw
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Sims » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:45 pm

Nacho is a perfect LCB, can't see Wenger altering a working formula in he 3atb

Still think Alexis & Mahrez on either side will be f***ing terrible unless Mahrez is forced to become more selfless. Would be infuriating to have two players out wide who just want to keep dribbling into cul-de-sacs time and time again
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 pm

problem with our 3 at the back is I don't think it's as good as other teams with 3 at the back so whilst it improved us for a time we need a different way to win imo.

Spurs are far more solid and somehow score lots of goals despite being all pace n power, Chelsea are just better in all areas....we need another way to overcome them both. We're not gonna spend like City so I really don't see how we're supposed to win the title, myabe switching between 3-4-3 for big games and 4-2-3-1 for the others idk.

Or just sign Mbappe
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm

Gs1981 - there is no such thing as a bad formation and no formation is worse than another. Its all about the personnel AND the tactics selected as well as the formation.

The best managers will be able to have fluid tactics and formations, this is where Wenger is total dogshite, he is a one formation/tactic fits all type of manager. A good manager would find a formation and tactics to benefit the personnel that he has.
Last edited by theHotHead on Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Mesüt wrote:problem with our 3 at the back is I don't think it's as good as other teams with 3 at the back so whilst it improved us for a time we need a different way to win imo.

Spurs are far more solid and somehow score lots of goals despite being all pace n power, Chelsea are just better in all areas....we need another way to overcome them both. We're not gonna spend like City so I really don't see how we're supposed to win the title, myabe switching between 3-4-3 for big games and 4-2-3-1 for the others idk.

Or just sign Mbappe

Being flexible with tactics is definitely the key but first we need at least two signings imo:

1) A dynamic and clinical forward
2) A disciplined and energetic central midfielder

The midfielder will help neutralize counterattacking and possession-dependent teams (Chelsea and City respectively) and the forward will help break down stubborn defenses and keep pressure-dependent teams in their own half (Sp*rs/United/mid-to-low table teams and Liverpool respectively)
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:10 pm

Gs1981 wrote:Naby Keita would be perfect I think, Keita alongside Cazorla or Xhaka would be immense.

If reports are to be believed, he'd cost about 70 million pounds and even though I think he'll be great here I can't see Wenger paying that much for him.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:02 am

Gs1981 wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Gs1981 - there is no such thing as a bad formation and no formation is worse than another. Its all about the personnel AND the tactics selected as well as the formation.

The best managers will be able to have fluid tactics and formations, this is where Wenger is total dogshite, he is a one formation/tactic fits all type of manager. A good manager would find a formation and tactics to benefit the personnel that he has.

I don't agree with that, I think the board has Wenger by the balls and he can't spend but he takes the public brunt of it because he is well paid himself and 'unsackable', the manager of the invincible's is not 'dog shit'.

We cant attract the players Chelsea, City or Utd can and Spurs and Liverpool throw their cash around a lot more than us, if we had that option, we would be as good as the others if not better.

Managers look to be adopting that Italian Conte style now, and when the big teams adopt a style of play or a similar style, the rest follow suit, rendering these old Barcelona of 10-15 years ago tactics dated and ineffectual.

The 3-4-2-1 or variation of needs a Keita or Kante type.

If you dont think Wenger is dogshit tactically im not sure what games you have been watching. Its a the reason we can throw away a four goal lead. Its the reason we get arse raped at least twice a season - no top manager gets the regular arse whoopings that Wenger does. It's the reason he makes his subs at 70 mins. Its the reason his changes are often like for like - he has no plan B and just bangs his head against the wall.

Dont let sentiment cloud your judgement.

As for Spurs and Liverpool spending more than us, we have a higher wage bill than both and a higher cash balance - so if we wanted to spend more we could. Gazidis already said the shackles are off and we can spend.

Our wage bill is almost double that of Spurs!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:11 pm

Just checked some of the betting odds - players to Arsenal:

- Mahrez is at 2/9 odds
- Lemar's odds are 8/11

That's overwhelming odds tbh.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator