Staff Overhaul

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Backroom overhaul.

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:17 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:It's a loss but it's a non issue, the big issue is whether or not we are going to spend the required amount of money to get back in the mix.

This
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Sims » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:19 pm

our fans are thick as shit

get what we deserve tbh
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:21 pm

Sims wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:It's a loss but it's a non issue, the big issue is whether or not we are going to spend the required amount of money to get back in the mix.

Our budget is going to be limited compared to the big boys, hence why Sven is a huge loss as he's the one who can spot talent when they're cheap, be developed into good players and be used for our own gain and also to sell for big profits in order to rectify the squad like Liverpool are doing

Now he's f***ked off we're left with Raul and his address book buying old rejects with no resale value with our limited money, meaning there's no chance to improve the club

I'm with Sims on this one. I think it's an issue for sure.

For any other club, or maybe the big spending clubs it wouldn't be much of an issue, but for the state we are in, I think it's a problem for sure, not to mention we are supposed to be taking steps forward, and this is just another step backwards. Doesn't mean we can't pull ourselves out of it, but it definitely is another problem, which we seem to have a lot of now days.

And the frustration doesn't just boil down Sven leaving, it's been boiling for the past 10 years really. So things like this that seem so minor actually cause much frustration when added on to all the other crap we've been putting up with for years now.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Ach » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:27 pm

This
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Mess » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:28 pm

StLGooner wrote:
Sims wrote:

Our budget is going to be limited compared to the big boys, hence why Sven is a huge loss as he's the one who can spot talent when they're cheap, be developed into good players and be used for our own gain and also to sell for big profits in order to rectify the squad like Liverpool are doing

Now he's f***ked off we're left with Raul and his address book buying old rejects with no resale value with our limited money, meaning there's no chance to improve the club

I'm with Sims on this one. I think it's an issue for sure.

For any other club, or maybe the big spending clubs it wouldn't be much of an issue, but for the state we are in, I think it's a problem for sure, not to mention we are supposed to be taking steps forward, and this is just another step backwards. Doesn't mean we can't pull ourselves out of it, but it definitely is another problem, which we seem to have a lot of now days.

And the frustration doesn't just boil down Sven leaving, it's been boiling for the past 10 years really. So things like this that seem so minor actually cause much frustration when added on to all the other crap we've been putting up with for years now.

Completely agree with Sims and StLGooner there. If we don't invest money in players, we better be freaking good at scouting. Losing Sven is big loss in that context.
Mess
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Ach wrote:

This

I don't think you guys realize that those two issues tie into each other, to make a bigger issue on the overall picture and state of our club.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:29 pm

Sims wrote:

This right here.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 pm

I dont disagree with what's being said but even with sven we are still going to have to drop 80m net spend this summer to get back into the top 4 picture let alone title imo, thats a figure I have no idea if we are willing to get near.

Sven is good but he is replaceable we can't replace a lack of ambition.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby StLGooner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:33 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:I dont disagree with what's being said but even with sven we are still going to have to drop 80m net spend this summer to get back into the top 4 picture let alone title imo, thats a figure I have no idea if we are willing to get near.

True, Sven is replaceable and he isn't the only good scout in the world. However, like I said, it's just another step backwards in the circus that is Arsenal right now. And it seems to have brought to light other issues behind the scenes that we weren't aware of. I think that is part of the doom and gloom and worry.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Godlop » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:37 pm

Ach wrote:
Yago wrote:
Ach wrote:A guy who doesn't appear on the pitch for us is leaving and all hell breaks loose on here lol

Imagine if someone important left.

Like a player

RIP GW

the only guy to make sure we sign players like torreira and not like lichtsteiner

So a glorified scout then?

I don't remember this much hullabaloo when Steve Rowley left. Or is he still here? Who knows? Only reason ive heard of Rowley is cos of Football Manager like many of us

Lot of things wrong at Arsenal atm. This is hardly the most important.

This is a guy known for buying players and selling them for big money. Id be more worried if he bought players and they helped us won trophies and he was leaving

No surprise Dortmund went to shit whilst he was there and now hes gone, look at them now.

Doesn't that Monchi pubber at Roma do the same? A club regularly finishing in the CL places. He comes along and they are struggling but hey they made money from player sales. Fans must be delighted with that

:lol:
Sancho, Zagadou, Dahoud, Pulisic, Guerrero and Bruun Larsen are all Sven signings.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:38 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Marsbar100 wrote:There is loads of top scouts out there, watching football is more accessible than ever, ideally we would have kept him as his track record is good but he has fallen out with a club before it's not the first time, the manager and scout have to be in sync.

Its not just that though, spotting talent is one thing but top scouts these days are elite because they have the contacts or the reputation of approaching players and making them want to come, whether that's directly or via other channels, they prep the ground for the club to reach out and sign the player.

Mislintat is one of those scouts.

But as I said, Raul is basically the new Gazidis on the footballing front so if he has a vision then we need someone to take charge here and start getting things done, I just hope he doesn't fk it up but anythings better than what we're doing now which is nothing.

It's definitely a loss when you put it like that because Emery doesn't have an allure like klopp, pep or wenger even as bad as he was by the end.

Would we have been able to have got Lacazette, ozil and Sanchez as easily with Emery, I doubt it tbh, he does not have the same reputation or appear to have he charm of Wenger.

If we want young prospects we are really going to have to convince them that they have a good route to the first team, useing guendo as an a example, offer competitive wages and show ambition as a club.

Sven is not a coach so I highly doubt he has any pull for players. He's not in charge of training and development is he?, We're still Arsenal at the end of the day. We still have history. We had no idea who the Chief Scout of Dortmund was before we signed him. We have no idea who's who at most clubs when it comes to scouting. I highly doubt players care which scout is watching them play, they only care about which club that scout represents.

If Emery and the club weren't enough of a pull for cheap unknown players Sven was supposed to look for, then we were already in trouble.

You have no idea how business works, that is plainly obvious.

Sven is not a coach but there is a reason why some scouts are better than others and its because they help get deals done.
Talking to the players or getting the "right people" to whisper in their ear, get all the ducks in line so to speak, having the right connections, being able to get meetings with the right people and having a reputation for successful transfers all adds up.

I'll give you an example, Johnny no name is a Scout turns up to Benfica trying to urge a player to join his club or Mislinslat turns up ......... who do you think can instantly just by being in town get the wheels turning?

So Johnny no name turns out to be a scout from Barcelona! Are you telling me that holds no weight in the decision making process for the player? Hypothetically speaking. So if Sven were to end up in Russia, he could convince the world's best young talent not to join us but to join Russia despite strong interest from us and other top clubs? He's that good and his reputation is that strong? I don't think so.

I'm clear on how the business works. Regardless of who is scouting a player, they're not going to convince a player to join them if they're part of a club that doesn't have a good reputation for developing young players or if they have the wrong sort of manager in charge, Jose Mourinho is an example. Money and connections is also a factor. Isn't that how we're here in the first place with Raul and Sven falling out? Sven depends on data to sign players, Raul would prefer to rely on his relationships and connections. Sounds like your mixing up Raul's method of signing players with Sven's role.

............... you just answered it yourself.

Barcelona and Arsenal (well they do now apparently) don't hire nobodies, they hire reputable scouts in the football world.

You can't be a Johnny nobody and get through the door of Barca can you?

Talent spotting, transfer business resume, contacts and aiding getting deals over the line is what a good Scout / Head of Recruitment is all about.

Well, that's been my original argument from the start when I read this.

Would we have been able to have got Lacazette, ozil and Sanchez as easily with Emery, I doubt it tbh, he does not have the same reputation or appear to have he charm of Wenger.

If we want young prospects we are really going to have to convince them that they have a good route to the first team, useing guendo as an a example, offer competitive wages and show ambition as a club.

It's not the name of the scout that players pay attention to, It's the club behind the scout.

I highly doubt players care which scout is watching them play, they only care about which club that scout represents.

Just to add to that, Sven leaving shouldn't effect our ability to sign players like Lacazette, Ozil and Sanchez. In fact, he wasn't hired for that part of the job. The high profile players is where Raul comes in. We have a great reputation for giving young players a chance and paying them well. Too well. We're covered in that area. We needed Sven to spot the sort of talent that flies under the radar of all the top clubs. The Guendouzi's from Ligue 2. The sort of players that are undervalued and not attracting a bidding war. The Moneyball players. We've been trying that for years under Wenger and have picked up a load of duds.

Stan Kroenke is a huge fan of the Moneyball system so I'm surprised that he hasn't stepped in to save Sven's job. I would have thought he'd be the prize asset if we're all about saving money and boosting our value. Maybe there has been a change in strategy. That part about Raul preferring Seri over Guendouzi makes me wonder. Verdict is still out for Guen but I'm sure his signing over Seri would have been met with much scepticism if he were Wenger signing two or three years ago.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CaptGooner » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:09 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:I dont disagree with what's being said but even with sven we are still going to have to drop 80m net spend this summer to get back into the top 4 picture let alone title imo, thats a figure I have no idea if we are willing to get near.

Right, but do you trust some of these jokers to get the most value out of the 80m as possible? I sure as hell don’t.

Sven is a major loss, there is no other way to put it.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Jack The Ripper » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Dlck Law is coming back I think, This Sven was light years worse than him. Dlck Law was one of the main reasons we were winning the premierships back between 98 and 2004. fantastic talent spotter and gem finder. Bring back DlCK LAW!!!!
Jack The Ripper
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:04 am

alexafc12 wrote:Orstein has posted the reasons he’s leaving. Basically:

- overlooked for technical director role
- Emery prefers players he knows like Suarez.
- Sanhelli recruitment strategy is to buy based on his network. Sven prefers a more analytical approach.
- Sanhelli & Unai responsible for bringing in Lichtsteiner. Sven recommend against it.
- Sven brought home Auba, Guen, Lucas etc.
- Sanhelli was trying to scupper Lucas deal to being in Serri
- No money to work with in Jan and limited budget expected for the summer

Replacements being lined up are either a friend of Unai / Sanhelli or ex Arsenal player such as Edu or Overmars

Obviously this is Orstein's side of the argument but it does make some sense .... Licht was clearly a Emery man .... and we all know that money is a huge issue.

Looking at this from afar it looks like Orstein was sold a lemon, realised it, and now wants out .... big loss for our club.
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:20 am

The way some of you numpties see things, Emery the Fuhrer had full control over every bad transfer we've made, while brave Sven snuck Torreira and Guendouzi into the squad under cover of night, like a footballing Oskar Schindler.

Writing entire f***ing novels on the basis of a single sentence in an Ornstein article. Y'all don't know shit.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk