Staff Overhaul

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Backroom Overhaul

Postby Sims » Tue May 07, 2019 2:24 pm

Fabrizio is super reliable
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zenith » Tue May 07, 2019 2:34 pm

Anything on Edu's reputation as Corinthians' DoF?
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Losmeister » Tue May 07, 2019 2:40 pm

Zenith wrote:Anything on Edu's reputation as Corinthians' DoF?

What he said... I've not a clue...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Tue May 07, 2019 4:13 pm

Zenith wrote:Anything on Edu's reputation as Corinthians' DoF?

https://le-grove.co.uk/2019/05/07/techn ... more-26047

Le Grove did a piece today. Still reading through it.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Angelito » Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 am

After yesterday's game against Liverpool, it's dawned on me that how far we've fallen off from the top. And, it might be over a decade before we get back there with the owners we have.

It's not about spending money. It's about ambition. Liverpool have pulled off all sorts of comical stuff over the years but they've always tried. Their owners have tried. And that resulted in Klopp.

They're now in their 2nd UCL final in two years. They are favorites now. They will lose the Prem by a hair—a record points of 97, but it'd be something no team has ever done and against a team that has unlimited cheat codes.

I truly fear for our future. With the existing setup, our incompetent boardroom, and the owners, top-6 might be where we will continue to fluctuate before Everton or another sugar daddy club overtakes us.

City have unlimited cash. Liverpool have Klopp and a history. United have the brand value and financial resources. Chelsea have the desire and the money. Spurs have a strategic CEO and a top-tier manager.

What do we have? Zilch.

We're the worst placed club for long-term success. Sanllehi comes across as an incompetent fool to me. Kroenke doesn't care. We let our best head scout leave. We have a manager who's notches below the rest of the top-6 managers. We don't have smart footballing men upstairs to help mitigate the situation.

The long-term doesn't look good. This summer will be telling.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed May 08, 2019 5:52 am

Angelito wrote:After yesterday's game against Liverpool, it's dawned on me that how far we've fallen off from the top. And, it might be over a decade before we get back there with the owners we have.

It's not about spending money. It's about ambition. Liverpool have pulled off all sorts of comical stuff over the years but they've always tried. Their owners have tried. And that resulted in Klopp.

They're now in their 2nd UCL final in two years. They are favorites now. They will lose the Prem by a hair—a record points of 97, but it'd be something no team has ever done and against a team that has unlimited cheat codes.

I truly fear for our future. With the existing setup, our incompetent boardroom, and the owners, top-6 might be where we will continue to fluctuate before Everton or another sugar daddy club overtakes us.

City have unlimited cash. Liverpool have Klopp and a history. United have the brand value and financial resources. Chelsea have the desire and the money. Spurs have a strategic CEO and a top-tier manager.

What do we have? Zilch.

We're the worst placed club for long-term success. Sanllehi comes across as an incompetent fool to me. Kroenke doesn't care. We let our best head scout leave. We have a manager who's notches below the rest of the top-6 managers. We don't have smart footballing men upstairs to help mitigate the situation.

The long-term doesn't look good. This summer will be telling.
Win the europa league and use thatbas a springboard. A few more guendouzi/torreira signings (like wenger did with vieira, petit, anelka) and we can compete. Considering we are in transition we are not far off those other clubs and have matched all of them when we played them.

We lack belief at the moment and that stems from Wenger's losers mentality imo. A Europa League win would give them the belief that is missing. Then a few signings and shifting of deadwood and the whole feeling will change.

I'm also fed up with the 'Emery is a level below' narrative. There's a reason PSG appointed him when they could have taken their pick of names. They haven't done muchnsince he left, either! He will have a point to prove and our shiteness will not be put right in a season.

I still think we are on the right path. If we don't win the Europa League then maybe I'll think differently but that hasn't happened yet.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Wed May 08, 2019 10:11 am

The problem is from top to bottom we have a mentality that's 20 years out if date, rather than change this we just look to employ more people who will operate just as the guy they are replacing did ...

We had a great model 20 years ago, scout, buy, develop a core of young players who will support the 3/4/5 big name players ... this worked when the league was a two and then three horse race and when anyone below top three couldn't afford more than 1/2 superstars ... life was good top three, title challenges, and European football.

Move forward ten years and the conveyor belt had Walcott, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Denilson, Gibbs moving along, but the world has changed. Now there are four, soon to be five challengers in the EPL. Gone are the days of 3/4/5 top quality players now it's 8/9/10 or even 22 in City's case. The days when you can expect five or six players to role straight out of the academy are gone, you are lucky to get even one a year ...

EVERY competitor gets this, Chelsea, City, Utd, Liverpool all started spending huge sums on ready made players plus the best youngsters from across Europe. Spurs were left behind but somehow managed to sell Bale, Modric, Walker, Berbatov for huge sums and reinvest that cash, luck or good business? now they have the income to also compete in the transfer market ... so for sure five serious rivals.

What about us? Well we seem to have moved at a snails pace, maybe we've gone from 3/4/5 big names to 5/6/7 big names but we are still losing ground on our rivals ... we just can't seem to accept that just because a player has 'come through the ranks' does not make him top six material ... how long did we stick with Walcott, Chamberlain, Wilshere, Denilson, Gibb? and how long will are we going to persist with today's under performers?

If we don't wise up and at least match our rivals we will NEVER catch back up .... the more we get left behind the harder that recovery will become, it's taken Liverpool twenty years, and Utd are in year five already ....

Maybe Edu has forgotten all the 'old ways' maybe Arteta is a new man, but all the evidence says appointing ex-players does not go well ... Ole at Utd is just the latest example, sure he got the new manager bounce but now it's the same old shite ... we need to watch and learn and not make the same mistakes, not believe we still know best, because our results are telling that's simply not true..
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am

Excellent consecutive posts by Angelito, PG, and EK.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby PairyGrows » Wed May 08, 2019 11:30 am

Angelito's post is a very realistic take on the future outlook of the club. While I disagree with some of his points, he's pointing in the right direction overall. I too despair over the long-term future of Arsenal, and I feel we're not going to get back to the top in a very long time. That's a very depressing outlook; however, I won't shy away from it just because I don't like it.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Losmeister » Wed May 08, 2019 11:57 am

excellent series of posts... WENGER OUT was only the first step... ambition from the exec level is absent... that leaves a huge chasm to somehow try to cross...

its dicey times and we are very thoroughly B level
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 10, 2019 1:26 am

People here are full of shit. If Ali Dangote announced tomorrow that he'd be bidding for a club buyout, everybody would rush in here being all sanctimonious about "we're not an oil club" (Dangote's biz is in cement and construction) and questioning the legitimacy of his wealth.

Most people here want instant success, but they want it to be perfectly above board, because they're terrified of rival fans mocking them the same way City and Chelsea fans have been mocked.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Tue May 14, 2019 3:37 am

Cagigao has been credited with bringing Cesc Fabregas, Santi Cazorla, Alexis Sanchez & Héctor Bellerín to the club, with having a strong network in Spain, as well as leading the pursuit of Ituano forward Gabriel Martinelli this summer, who will join for £6m. [@jamesbenge] #afc
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby EliteKiller » Tue May 14, 2019 4:26 am

So we're just going to stick with the same old shit we've been doing for a decade ... not knocking Cagigao he's a lifelong Arsenal man ... but if you're going to give him credit for the good signings, then equally he has to take shit for all the bad ones ...

At a time when we need to make drastic changes just to catch back up, going for the easy and cheap option of promoting the next man in line ... that's bollocks
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Sims » Tue May 14, 2019 8:03 am

As long as he didn’t scout Mustafi it’s fine by me
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Tue May 14, 2019 8:17 am

Was he already at the club? or did we appoint him when sven left?
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk