2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby ESR10 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:04 pm

arsenalpan wrote:If Sanchez stays and we get a Mahrez-like forward on right side, we may try a new 3-4-3 with full power on offensive side which no other PL teams have ever had. I know it's kind of risky to play Coq alone but the pressure we give to the opponent on their half will be high enough to make them not push too hard in midfield.

--------Sanchez---laca---Mahrez------
--------------------Ozil--------------------------------
Kolašinac-----------------------OX/Nelson
--------------------Coq--------------------------------
any 3 of our CBs

Our games would end winning or losing with results like 4-3, 3-5 mostly with this formation.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby arsenalpan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Mustafi wrote:
arsenalpan wrote:If Sanchez stays and we get a Mahrez-like forward on right side, we may try a new 3-4-3 with full power on offensive side which no other PL teams have ever had. I know it's kind of risky to play Coq alone but the pressure we give to the opponent on their half will be high enough to make them not push too hard in midfield.

--------Sanchez---laca---Mahrez------
--------------------Ozil--------------------------------
Kolašinac-----------------------OX/Nelson
--------------------Coq--------------------------------
any 3 of our CBs

Our games would end winning or losing with results like 4-3, 3-5 mostly with this formation.

Yes, that would always be an open game. But if you want to be a top club you have to keep pressure on the opponent side.
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESR10 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 am

When asked about signing a third player, Wenger made it clear that he would only go in for a player who could drastically improve his squad, which is no doubt an exciting prospect for the Gunners fans.

“We are open to an exceptional player,” he told Sky Sports. “However, just to remind you we have 33 players and they are all good players.”

“That’s unmanageable to bring one more player in for the sake of it would be stupid, but if we find an exceptional one, we will do it.”

Is it so difficult to find a CM, who would improve us? I don't think so
ESR10

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:46 pm

Work on the defense. Don't care how its done, just do it
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby ESR10 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Cech
Bellerin - Mustafi - Koscielny - Kolasinac
Xhaka
Ramsey Cazorla*
Özil - Alexis
Laca

* or Wilshere or Ox. Whoever is fit.

Xhaka and Ramsey look lost in the midfield even with 3 in the back. So I think it's time to try out 4-3-3. Problem could be the defense still. Koscielny and Mustafi didn't convince that much as the CB pairing last year.

We aren't buying anyone, so no use of putting a new signing in the lineup. Defense aside I think this is the best side we currently can field, as a shitty central midfield is imo the worst thing a team can suffer with.
ESR10

Postby CaptGooner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Cech
Xhaka - El Neny/Wilshere
Ozil
Ramsey - Alexis
Laca

The way Ramsey is bombing forward these days makes me nervous seeing him at CM.
CaptGooner
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby bengulnaci1 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Emphasis should be on being solid, which we are not.

Wenger won't setup that way so it will he the chaotic 3-5-2 or weak as pish 4-3-3 / 4-5-1.

With the current personel and erratic decision making from the management, I expect a few performances when things 'click' and abject collapse / drubbings....
bengulnaci1
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:55 pm

Was just reading through some of the posts yesterday and noticed Sims making a lot of good points which I agree with (this and
this). Seemed to also inspire some of the posts I saw from others when I logged in today.

I think it is safe to say that it is obvious to all (besides maybe Wenger) that we need at least another CM. The issue I think is what type of CM we should be after. The way I see it, there’s three ways we can approach this:

1) Defensive type CM – The plan here is to bring in someone who’ll be an upgrade to Coquelin and Elneny. This will remove some of the defensive responsibilities off xhaka and ramsey and allow them to do what they do best. Since this requires taking out a natural CB, the CM we bring in will need to have many attributes similar to that of a CB. We’d lineup something like:

Cech
Mustafi ----- Koscielny
CM
Oxlade --- Xhaka --- Ramsey --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

2) Box-to-Box CM – The plan here is to bring someone in who’ll relegate Xhaka to the bench and leave the brunt of the mop up work to the central defender of the back three. Like Xhaka, this CM will require some positional discipline but ideally will have better attributes than Xhaka (i.e. better agility, better passing, better shooting, better strength, better tackling, etc.). We’d lineup something like:

Cech
Mustafi Koscielny Monreal
Oxlade --- CM --- Ramsey --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

3) Offensive type CM – The plan here is to bring someone in who’ll relegate Ramsey to the bench. Like Ramsey, this CM will be required to provide goals and/or assists regularly but will have better attributes than Ramsey (i.e. better end product, better consistency, better ball control, better movement, better decision making, etc.). We’d line up something like:

Cech
Oxlade --- Xhaka --- CM --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

Option 2, I believe would be the most ruthless move. Option 1, imo, would be the safest option and would ruffle the least feathers. With option 3, we get a huge boost to our offensive capabilities but I feel we’ll still be a little vulnerable defensively.

All three improves us but, for me, it comes down to do you trust our current offensive players or defensive players. For me, I think I trust our offense more so than our defense so I would go with option 2. I’d only pick option 3 over option 2 if we were getting a CB in addition to a CM but I'm going to assume Wenger will leave us short as usual

Mustafi wrote:
Cech
Xhaka
Ramsey Cazorla*
Özil - Alexis
Laca

* or Wilshere or Ox. Whoever is fit.

Xhaka and Ramsey look lost in the midfield even with 3 in the back. So I think it's time to try out 4-3-3. Problem could be the defense still. Koscielny and Mustafi didn't convince that much as the CB pairing last year.

We aren't buying anyone, so no use of putting a new signing in the lineup. Defense aside I think this is the best side we currently can field, as a shitty central midfield is imo the worst thing a team can suffer with.

the reason, imo, why xhaka and ramsey has looked lost recently is because we were playing monreal behind them who isn't really imposing. I think the lineup you have will require ramsey or whoever he partners to help xhaka with the defending and we know neither ox, ramsey, or wilshere are disciplined enough to do this on a consistent basis. Cazorla could work but he's always injured and I personally would not rely on him to stay fit this season. the 3 at the back when used with the right players seems to help make xhaka and ramsey better. imo, xhaka is just too slow to play as that "third CB" without offering him some help from those around him.

CaptGooner wrote:
Cech
Xhaka - El Neny/Wilshere
Ozil
Ramsey - Alexis
Laca

The way Ramsey is bombing forward these days makes me nervous seeing him at CM.

This would be similar to playing Ramsey on the right again. not sure if anyone wants to see that again but the decision was not popular around here
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 pm

A well thought out post sir
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 am

starmandb wrote:A well thought out post sir

My thanks :cheers:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby ESR10 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:03 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Cech
Mustafi ----- Koscielny
CM
Oxlade --- Xhaka --- Ramsey --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

2) Box-to-Box CM – The plan here is to bring someone in who’ll relegate Xhaka to the bench and leave the brunt of the mop up work to the central defender of the back three. Like Xhaka, this CM will require some positional discipline but ideally will have better attributes than Xhaka (i.e. better agility, better passing, better shooting, better strength, better tackling, etc.). We’d lineup something like:

Cech
Oxlade --- CM --- Ramsey --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

3) Offensive type CM – The plan here is to bring someone in who’ll relegate Ramsey to the bench. Like Ramsey, this CM will be required to provide goals and/or assists regularly but will have better attributes than Ramsey (i.e. better end product, better consistency, better ball control, better movement, better decision making, etc.). We’d line up something like:

Cech
Oxlade --- Xhaka --- CM --- Kolasinac
Ozil --- Alexis
Lacazette

Option 2, I believe would be the most ruthless move. Option 1, imo, would be the safest option and would ruffle the least feathers. With option 3, we get a huge boost to our offensive capabilities but I feel we’ll still be a little vulnerable defensively.

All three improves us but, for me, it comes down to do you trust our current offensive players or defensive players. For me, I think I trust our offense more so than our defense so I would go with option 2. I’d only pick option 3 over option 2 if we were getting a CB in addition to a CM but I'm going to assume Wenger will leave us short as usual

Great analysis as always :clap:

Option 2 wouldn't work unless Ramsey plays more like a CM. He's more a shadow striker these days. Not even Kante or Casemiro could handle a midfield partnership with him.

Option 3 could work, if we bought a very mobile CM with equally strong defensive and offensive attributes. A Nainggolan or Vidal. Very difficult to find such players.

Option 1 would work best imo. Krychowiak could work in this position and is available.

I also think you are right about the unbalanced CB-partnership playing a role in our problems the last fews games. With Koscielny back Ramsey and Xhaka will be better hopefully. I still think even with the best CBs behind, they aren't good enough on their own.
And as we aren't buying anyone, I would give 4-3-3 a try at some point this season. Cazorla, Wilshere or Ox would help take some pressure from Xhaka, when he's about to screw up, or when Ramsey is more concerned about scoring goals than being in his original position.
ESR10

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:55 pm

^Thanks

You’re right about option 2 not working now that I have taken more time to think about it. I think it isn’t the type of player that’s the problem here but the partnership. With our current personnel, we really should go with either of the other lineups but the player should have the attributes I listed in option 2.

Here’s a fun question that shows why I agree this approach is better:

Bakayoko Kante
Matic Herrera
Wanyama Dembele
Xhaka Ramsey

One of these is not like the other, which is it? Here’s a clue too: three of the pairs are defense first, everything else second.

Here’s another:

De Bruyne D.Silva
Rakitic Iniesta
Modric Isco
Xhaka Ramsey

Which of these is not like the other? Another clue: three of the pairs are offense first, everything else is secondary.

The point I’m trying to make is that when you look at the other top teams, they have a focus/clear idea of how they want to win. This helps ensure that results like we had against stoke rarely happen and why they’re always favorites to win major trophies.

We, on the other hand, have no identity. We’re ok-ish up front, ok-ish in the middle, and ok-ish in the back. Instead of taking a half-hearted approach to each area, we should try going all in one direction and building from there. If we want to see beautiful football again, for example, then drop/sell whoevers holding us back from doing so and bring in the players that will help create that identity.

Option 1 and 3 helps create a defensive style approach to victory, one more effectively than the other. Option 2 creates an offensive style approach and, although more entertaining to watch and what I prefer to see, requires more effort to get it to work effectively. Going this route would require an upgrade to both Xhaka and Ramsey, imo, as Ramsey is not only suspect defensively but offensively as well. And this also doesn’t take into account the fact that Ozil isn’t a consistent goal scorer (considering the position he occupies) and doesn’t offer much defensively (besides being able to hold unto possession). The alternative (prioritizing the defense) requires only one addition to a pretty respectable defensive foundation; something that is/should be easily within the club’s scope
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby zavedomo » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:32 pm

If the preference is to use the best players available AND if a major problem is protection of the central zone in front of the defense, then, to my mind, the best solution would be to use Kolasinac as a CM. He impressed me as somebody with a potential of a character (if maybe not skill) of Vieira.

If 3-4-3:

Cech
Koscielny - Mustafi - Nacho
Bellerin - Xhaka/Cazorla (God willing) - KOLASINAC -Iwobi
Özil - Lacazette - Alexis

or, if 4-2-3-1

Cech
Bellerin - Koscielny - Mustafi - Nacho
Xhaka/Cazorla (God willing) - KOLASINAC
Iwobi/Ramsey/Wellbeck -- Özil - Alexis
Lacazette
zavedomo
Liam Brady

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 pm

I think our best lineup, when everyone's fit, should be:

Cech
(Ospina/Macey)
Mustafi Koscielny(c) Monreal
(Holding/Mertesacker) (Coquelin/Elneny) (Koscielny/Chambers)
Bellerin --- Elneny --- Cazorla --- Kolasinac
(Niles/Jenkinson) --- (Xhaka/Cazorla) --- (Wilshere/Elneny) --- (Monreal/Bramall)
Ozil --- Alexis
(Ramsey/Walcott) --- (Nelson/Iwobi)
Lacazette
(Giroud/Welbeck)
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 pm

I wonder if we might revert to 4-2-3-1?

Selling ox means we have no rwb cover and we've also sold gabriel so don't have as many CBs (plus monreal is cover for kolasinac too).
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk