2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:26 pm

How about a midfield diamond?

---Sanchez----Lacazette
--------------Ozil
-----Ramsey---Wilshere
------------Coquelin
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:44 pm

No @ Ramsey and Wilshere playing together.

That was Wenger's desire when we sold Cesc and Nasri before Jack got injured - in return thanks to Wenger overplaying him in 10/11 and continuously playing him in pre-season (of 11/12) too.

Then, after Ozil won the World Cup with Germany, what did Wenger do? Fulfil his wish by switching to adopt Germany's 4-1-4-1 - mainly to accommodate Ramsey and Wilshere in the middle with Ozil shoved to the left. It was horrific.

Ramsey and Wilshere combo doesn't work. It's either, or.

If we're switching to a diamond, a better unit would be Jose's 4-3-1-2 that he used at Inter:

Elneny - Xhaka - Wilshere
Ozil
Lacazette - Alexis

Although, I doubt Alexis and Lacazette would work as a front two.

If we want to bring the best of Ramsey, he must play in a flat 4-3-3.

But the best of 'em all?

------ Lacazette
LW* - Dybala - Ozil
------ CM - CM

* As Alexis is leaving.

:hiding:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby PairyGrows » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:11 pm

The formation is irrelevant as long as we have no tactical framework to begin with.
PairyGrows
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:15 am

tufnelltoughie wrote:From recent results it would seem we have the wrong squad and no tactics whatsoever.

Looool :rofll:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:26 am

Giroud up top as the centre forward and essentially the central striker of three, benefit being his ability of bringing others into play and creating chances.

I just pissed myself laughing at this!! When has Giroud regularly brought others into play or created chances? He can barely hold up the ball without falling over, the big Jessie!!

Definitely not part of his repertoire, more luck than skill when he pulls it off.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:30 am

I would not class Elneny as a box to box midfielder, box to box midfielders don't get nose bleeds when they get into the attacking box, Elneny has no offensive attributes that I have seen.

As mentioned he is not entirely disciplined in the DM role but I think he is the best we have in that position
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Really struggling to understand the Elneny fetish on here. Guy offers less than everyone in our midfield offensively and defensively. Shows how desperately bad our midfield is that we're thinking maybe he's the missing piece. Like when Theo doesn't get a game for a few months and people thinking he's Ian Wright reborn. I'm not actually sure i've ever seen Elneny attempt or win a tackle?
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:12 pm

ALLCAPS_ wrote:Really struggling to understand the Elneny fetish on here. Guy offers less than everyone in our midfield offensively and defensively. Shows how desperately bad our midfield is that we're thinking maybe he's the missing piece. Like when Theo doesn't get a game for a few months and people thinking he's Ian Wright reborn. I'm not actually sure i've ever seen Elneny attempt or win a tackle?

https://youtu.be/N69Cg-yxvM8?t=2m20s

https://youtu.be/3EkFKfSmmUw?t=3m50s

Besides defending is not only about tackling. Intercepting, blocking shots and pass lanes, always providing an option for a pass/good at helping keep possession are all forms of defending and Elneny excels more with the latter than the former
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

I disagree that these are things that Elneny excels at. In fact at this level I dont think he excels at everything. There is a difference between a player being subtle and less obvious in the effectiveness of their game and a player being all together average. Tony Kroos' game is subtle, Busquets' game is subtle. When I see us play with Elneny I think we look worse than with Xhaka, but it has been a while since he's played in the league, any performances in particular you can recall though that we looked more stable/fluid as a result of his inclusion?
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:45 pm

ALLCAPS_ wrote:I disagree that these are things that Elneny excels at. In fact at this level I dont think he excels at everything. There is a difference between a player being subtle and less obvious in the effectiveness of their game and a player being all together average. Tony Kroos' game is subtle, Busquets' game is subtle. When I see us play with Elneny I think we look worse than with Xhaka, but it has been a while since he's played in the league, any performances in particular you can recall though that we looked more stable/fluid as a result of his inclusion?

Its a little bit the opposite for me: when I see xhaka play, i think we'd look better if elneny was starting instead.

basically, if we don't look fluid with elneny then its probably because he's mostly been playing with players who does not make us look fluid. Hope I don't jinx his performance, but watch Elneny closely today. He'll be the player providing an escape option for most our players more specifically our back line. He will also be looking to attempt threaded passes if our attacking players make the right runs. tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets an assist or pre assist today. it'll depend on our attacking players
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby ARSHAVIN 77 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:54 pm

theHotHead wrote: » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Giroud up top as the centre forward and essentially the central striker of three, benefit being his ability of bringing others into play and creating chances.

I just pissed myself laughing at this!! When has Giroud regularly brought others into play or created chances? He can barely hold up the ball without falling over, the big Jessie!!

You'll wait a very very longtime for seing Laca giving such beautiful assists.
There will be our turn to triumph.
ARSHAVIN 77
Liam Brady

Postby coach8smallball » Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 pm

ARSHAVIN 77 wrote:
theHotHead wrote: » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm

You'll wait a very very longtime for seing Laca giving such beautiful assists.

well i'm sure if we had a reel of how many times the big G has hit the ground from being out muscled by cbs.....it would be equally long or even longer.

then we could say that it would be even longer til laca falls over that many times.
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:55 pm

Since wining the league is no longer an arsenal objective, lets at least bring back the sexy football of the cesc, ade, rvp, hleb era. At least it was fun to watch. I can’t stand seeing this piss any more.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:40 am

@thehothead - that two people have forwarded a highlight reel showing a collection of Giroud's assists, hold up and link up play, passing ability and intricate foot work tends to actively support my assessment whilst dismissing yours and as such renders any further substance to my retort, moot.

If you really are pissing yourself when you laugh, might I suggest you doing some pelvic floor exercises to tighten your bladder muscles back up, my missus had the same problem after having our second rug rat and it worked a treat.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:08 pm

@ArseneNose - I hear what you're saying and agree entirely, why not place our emphasis on our attacking virtues even if only to sort out half the teams issues in preparation for next season. I would propose trying 2 formations, 4;2;3;1 and 3;4;1;2 with the former being my preferred choice. A 4@the back defense of AMN, Mustafi, Koscielny, Kolasinac. A midfield two of Rambo and Jack with Ozil as the midfield spearhead flanked by Sanchez left and Lacazzette right. Giroud would be the lone striker.
The alternative formation would have 3@the back but without wing backs further forward, instead playing 4 midfielders with those wide providing the width when needed.
Mustafi, Mertasaker, Koscielny; AMN, Ramsey, Wilshire, Kolasinac; Ozil; Lacazzette, Sanchez.
I would imagine that 4:3 would become the average score line. We get beat now so why not, nothing to lose!
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk