2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:46 pm

When we set up a team to defend, we are actually quite good. Chelsea werent blistering last night but we kept them quite for the most part. City a few years ago, united when we beat them 3 nil in the second half. It seems when we are given the task of defending we can do it, but transitioning from attack to defence is far more difficult for us, and because we rarely take early leads in games we are constantly forced to transition between attack and defence, taking huge gambles and exposing our weaknesses.

It makes sense really, we dont have bad defenders, but with the pressure of constant retreat we see them exposed, this is quite normal. Anyone who's played at even the lowest level of football knows it is a nightmare to be defending while retreating, getting pulled out wide in 1on1s and getting into foot races. This is where mistakes happen.

Far too often are we drawn into these slugfest games. Going blow for blow with the opposition, but we havent got the jaw for it. Hence why random bums with a right hand always have a chance against us. (Watford)
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:53 pm

I wanted us to try out that 3-4-1-2.

I feel we need to field our best most senior players especially once Sanchez goes.

Why the hell would we have both Iwobi and Welbeck on the pitch (one is bad enough) when we will have Giroud and Ramsey back who are not my favourites by any means but they're a damn sight more capable than the other two I mentioned.

Also neither of our strikers are top class enough to play the lone wolf role, Giroud needs support to make up for his lack of mobility and Lacazette needs someone to take point so he can be played in on goal ....... not be the hold up man, we also get the aerial threat, together I believe they'll get goals.

Xhaka, Maitland-Niles can rotate with Ramsey and Wilshere as needed, Wilshere can step in for Ozil at CAM also when needed

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby ALLCAPS_ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:04 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:I wanted us to try out that 3-4-1-2.

I feel we need to field our best most senior players especially once Sanchez goes.

Why the hell would we have both Iwobi and Welbeck on the pitch (one is bad enough) when we will have Giroud and Ramsey back who are not my favourites by any means but they're a damn sight more capable than the other two I mentioned.

Also neither of our strikers are top class enough to play the lone wolf role, Giroud needs support to make up for his lack of mobility and Lacazette needs someone to take point so he can be played in on goal ....... not be the hold up man, we also get the aerial threat, together I believe they'll get goals.

Xhaka, Maitland-Niles can rotate with Ramsey and Wilshere as needed, Wilshere can step in for Ozil at CAM also when needed

Mate you'll be seeing that when Sanchez goes and we don't relace :frogwink:
ALLCAPS_
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Nah not under Wenger.

Wenger lost his balls for playing 2 strikers many years ago, even playing with 5 defenders he hasn't tried it yet.

But yes I made that team from our best seniors (which is what a manager is supposed to do) and yes it is "life after Sanchez" he's def going in January.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:04 pm

wilshere - ramsey is a terrible midfield. neither has a defensive bone in their body and both arent mobile

all i want us to do is go to a 4231/433, keep ozil and sign a malcom/fekir/lemar. ill be reasonably happy if we do
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:36 am

Sims wrote:wilshere - ramsey is a terrible midfield. neither has a defensive bone in their body and both arent mobile

all i want us to do is go to a 4231/433, keep ozil and sign a malcom/fekir/lemar. ill be reasonably happy if we do

Think it would be ok against certain teams especially those that park the bus.

DiamondGooner wrote:I wanted us to try out that 3-4-1-2.

No thanks to Giroud. I’m sure its possible for Giroud and Lacazette to form a good partnership but I’ve had my fill of Giroud starting games. If Sanchez left and no other transfers, I’d try this:

Macey?
Koscielny(c) Monreal
Bellerin Wilshere Elneny Niles Kolasinac
Ramsey --- Ozil
Lacazette

with Mustafi rotating with Koscielny or Monreal and Xhaka rotating with Niles or, when we play three defenders at the back, Elneny
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm

ARSHAVIN 77 wrote:
theHotHead wrote: » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:26 pm

Giroud up top as the centre forward and essentially the central striker of three, benefit being his ability of bringing others into play and creating chances.

I just pissed myself laughing at this!! When has Giroud regularly brought others into play or created chances? He can barely hold up the ball without falling over, the big Jessie!!

You'll wait a very very longtime for seing Laca giving such beautiful assists.

A Youtube reel of Giroud's best bits :naughty: :doh:

You were saying !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 pm

Lets compare club assists stats in all comps for the past 5 years.

Giroud
2017 - 1 assist
2016 - 6 assists
2015 - 6 assists
2014 - 4 assists
2013 - 10 assists

Lacazette
2017 - 3 assists
2016 - 4 assists
2015 - 3 assists
2014 - 6 assists
2013 - 3 assists

Giroud is ahead, according to ESPN Soccernet, 27 vs 19
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby ARSHAVIN 77 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:40 pm

Hottaid said

Lets compare club assists stats in all comps for the past 5 years.

Giroud
2017 - 1 assist
2016 - 6 assists
2015 - 6 assists
2014 - 4 assists
2013 - 10 assists

Lacazette
2017 - 3 assists
2016 - 4 assists
2015 - 3 assists
2014 - 6 assists
2013 - 3 assists

Giroud is ahead, according to ESPN Soccernet, 27 vs 19

How can you compare stats from a shitty league like french one with stats from premier league ?!! How can you dare ??? And unfortunately, i certainly know the french league better as you. I know you are the one of the numerous guies who hate Giroud, because he's not a killer like RVP, because he's not good looking like Lacazette or he's got no pace like Anelka and because the frustration that i can share with you, that we don't have, since many years, a forward among the mondial top 10 but i can bet you that the more you'll see lacazette plays, the more you'll realise the positive role for our team that Giroud can have. The only guy, now, who can help Lacazette is Giroud, hoping for us we can keep Ozil and get Mkhitarian, Lucas (i have no hope for Lemar), to get creative players behind a french duo which could be very efficient and…altruistic.
There will be our turn to triumph.
ARSHAVIN 77
Liam Brady

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:46 pm

So...

unless Mkhi or PEA isn't happening, one of Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Lacazette, Xhaka, or even Mkhi or PEA will be seeing a lot of the bench or, in the case of the former five, sold.

Hard to imagine Wenger not starting one of these players regularly. We should all brace ourselves for some unwanted news because something doesn't feel right wrt the PEA/Mkhi rumors.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby ESR10 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:54 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:So...

unless Mkhi or PEA isn't happening, one of Ramsey, Wilshere, Ozil, Lacazette, Xhaka, or even Mkhi or PEA will be seeing a lot of the bench or, in the case of the former five, sold.

Hard to imagine Wenger not starting one of these players regularly. We should all brace ourselves for some unwanted news because something doesn't feel right wrt the PEA/Mkhi rumors.

It will only be Mkhi knowing Wenger. Mkhi is Alexis' replacement. And we will buy a cheap Theo replacement or promote Nelson.

Laca

Özil -----------Mkhi

Xhaka Ramsey/Wilshere
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:59 pm

Mustafi wrote:

It will only be Mkhi knowing Wenger. Mkhi is Alexis' replacement. And we will buy a cheap Theo replacement or promote Nelson.

Laca

Özil -----------Mkhi

Xhaka Ramsey/Wilshere

I'm growing sceptical about Auba. It's too good to be true and doesn't align with Wenger's self-sabotage theories.

Whenever we've been on the brink of having a great first eleven, Wenger has found a way to mess it up.

Dortmund want cash + Giroud apparently. And we've been lowballing.

Let's see.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ESR10 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Angelito wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

Laca

Özil -----------Mkhi

Xhaka Ramsey/Wilshere

I'm growing sceptical about Auba. It's too good to be true and doesn't align with Wenger's self-sabotage theories.

Whenever we've been on the brink of having a great first eleven, Wenger has found a way to mess it up.

Let's see.

Tbh we are still very far from that. At least a DM, a GK, a CB and a RB are needed to have a really competitive starting eleven.

If Auba happens, it will be because of the influence of the new backroom staff, Sven and Sanllehi, backed from Gazidis. I don't believe Wenger will be backing this.

If it happens, I'll be a bit more optimistic about the future of the club, because it would mean, Wenger's influence isn't that big as before.
ESR10

Postby Angelito » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Mustafi wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

Laca

Özil -----------Mkhi

Xhaka Ramsey/Wilshere

Let's see.

Tbh we are still very far from that. At least a DM, a GK, a CB and a RB are needed to have a really competitive starting eleven.

If Auba happens, it will be because of the influence of the new backroom staff, Sven and Sanllehi, backed from Gazidis. I don't believe Wenger will be backing this.

If it happens, I'll be a bit more optimistic about the future of the club, because it would mean, Wenger's influence isn't that big as before.

Was referring to our almost great teams of 07/08, 10/11, or 15/16 where we were a signing or two short from competing for the title.

Cech
Bellerin - Koscielny - Mertesacker - Monreal
Cazorla - Coquelin
Ramsey - Ozil - Alexis
Giroud

Needed a world-class forward/CF at the time (15/16). Like, we needed a potent attacker in 07/08 or a top quality CB in 10/11. Even in 13/14, if we had a top quality forward, we would have won the title.

At this stage, we need a world class CM and a similarly poised CB alongside Auba and Mkhi to compete for the Prem. I feel we need a top class CM more than a DM. Elneny could accompany such a CM but without a top class CM, we're not going to go anywhere.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm

Mustafi wrote:

Laca

Özil -----------Mkhi

Xhaka Ramsey/Wilshere

If this turns out to be then I'll have no doubt that Wenger or someone at the club is trying to sabotage us.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk