2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: 2017-18 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:15 pm

It is concerning that we have no strong links to a CM (unless you count Lemar as a CM) because if Ramsey goes down, we're screwed. I guess one way around the problem (and its probably what Wenger's thinking) is to revert back to a 4-2-3-1 in such a case and use two deep sitting central midfielders. Unsure if it'll work but we'll need Elneny and Coquelin to be extremely disciplined
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby ESR10 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:11 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:It is concerning that we have no strong links to a CM (unless you count Lemar as a CM) because if Ramsey goes down, we're screwed. I guess one way around the problem (and its probably what Wenger's thinking) is to revert back to a 4-2-3-1 in such a case and use two deep sitting central midfielders. Unsure if it'll work but we'll need Elneny and Coquelin to be extremely disciplined

It's really confusing and concerning me as well.
I think Wenger believes that Cazorla will be match ready by November and counts on him, or as you said he would revert to 4-2-3-1, when one of Ramsey or Xhaka miss a game and play one of Neny and Coquelin.
Both approaches are naive, but it's one of Wenger's characteristics to think like that.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby ESR10 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:54 pm

After the Bayern and Chelsea games ( I know it's only some preseason friendlies) , but these games reminded me of last year.

We need an engine in the midfield, a player like Nainggolan or Vidal, who would join defense, midfield and attack in a more efficient way than Xhaka or Ramsey do.
We need a better CB than what we have. Kos is the only one really good and his injuries are plaguing him.
We need a better backup goalkeeper than Ospina. Cech won't feel challenged next year. We sold the best possible candidate for peanuts as our manager and board are dumb af.
We need to keep Lucas as first backup for Alexis and Özil as the quality difference between them and the rest are huge. When they have a bad day or are injured, we are f***ked.

I'm not optimistic, if we didn't adress these problems in the near future.
ESR10

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Mustafi wrote:After the Bayern and Chelsea games ( I know it's only some preseason friendlies) , but these games reminded me of last year.

We need an engine in the midfield, a player like Nainggolan or Vidal, who would join defense, midfield and attack in a more efficient way than Xhaka or Ramsey do.
We need a better CB than what we have. Kos is the only one really good and his injuries are plaguing him.
We need a better backup goalkeeper than Ospina. Cech won't feel challenged next year. We sold the best possible candidate for peanuts as our manager and board are dumb af.
We need to keep Lucas as first backup for Alexis and Özil as the quality difference between them and the rest are huge. When they have a bad day or are injured, we are f***ked.

Yep and all legitimate areas of concern imo. can see us dropping important points because of these areas
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby BexleyGooner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I feel this is the big week for us. We need to know where we are by the Emirates cup. Sanchez is back this week so that should hopefully be sorted out, and at least get players in or have a firm idea of which ones we can get by the community shield at the latest.

We kick off with three tough games. A few bad results, no one coming in and it becomes panic stations all over again and we end up with some garbage on deadline day.

Is it too much to ask for us to be assertive once in a while.
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rammixp » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:30 pm

Mustafi wrote:After the Bayern and Chelsea games ( I know it's only some preseason friendlies) , but these games reminded me of last year.

So the whole team is weak. I don't disagree with the assessment above but it going to get worse. We will sell Sanchez, Ox will leave and Laca and lemar will end up being replacement to those two players. We always stand still as a squad and club, it is so frustrating and I hate that I care.

Im bored of the same shit each summer and the same results. Yet another top 4 season battle and if we are lucky a cup run. Boo f***ing hoo.
rammixp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby ESR10 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:38 pm

still not convinced our squad is even good enough for top 4 right now
ESR10

Postby gooney » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:05 pm

Mustafi wrote:

it wasnt last season......and the other teams has got better....so there is no logic to think it is now. But we are aiming for 4th which is why I truly hope we dont get it. Some people thought once we didnt make the top 4 it was gonna be wake up call for the club. It hasnt been. But maybe we need several years outside of top 4 for the club to finally change its values
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Goonerz » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:29 pm

Same old Arsenal..

We are still poor in midfield, I have been saying this ever since the Cesc era came to an end, we became a headless chicken club with no defined style of play.. Are we a possession one touch side (Cesc era). Are we defensive side (Graham)? Are we a counter attack side (Madrid). Or are we just a go in each game and hope for the best.. smh
New Day, New Era, New Start. Come On You The Arsenal.
Goonerz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Goonerz wrote:Same old Arsenal..

We are still poor in midfield, I have been saying this ever since the Cesc era came to an end, we became a headless chicken club with no defined style of play.. Are we a possession one touch side (Cesc era). Are we defensive side (Graham)? Are we a counter attack side (Madrid). Or are we just a go in each game and hope for the best.. smh

We are a team managed by a man who thinks tactics is how a dyslexic would spell a popular mint confection
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby ESR10 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:54 pm

gooney wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

it wasnt last season......and the other teams has got better....so there is no logic to think it is now. But we are aiming for 4th which is why I truly hope we dont get it. Some people thought once we didnt make the top 4 it was gonna be wake up call for the club. It hasnt been. But maybe we need several years outside of top 4 for the club to finally change its values

I would never wish Arsenal not to win everything possible, but realistically it looks bad
ESR10

Postby firfi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:10 pm

I don't get this is happening for 5th year in row at least.Before that the quality of the teams was just too high and we didn't need to prepare properly.Oh well things have changed.Next week we go against Chelsea with defense that has never played together a single game.How are we suppose to win.And the week after that it's gonna be the same thing like the previous season ,and the season before that etc.We're gonna lose points in the first games.Keep in mind if we prepared properly last season for the first game we would've been top4.From there on we need to prepare for every game as much as possible ,because every point is vital.Everton spent so much money so did United.And if we look the teams that finished above us only Spurs didn't strengthen so far. I mean we have the players to make it top4 .. but again the pre season has been terrible. Wenger has given way too many minutes to players that are not gonna feature in the season.Why is he playing Elneni as CB ,he can give more playing time for some players that we're gonna use as CB's so they can form partnership ...

And last but not least.Lacazette is gonna score 20 goals ,but hes not gonna be more useful than Walcott or Giroud which score 12-15 goals per season.Hes just gonna take penalties and complete the 20+ goals with the penalties.I don't see him as player for Top team.Hes not a player that can dribble nor produce anything by himself nor make anything creative.Hes in my opinion "Fox in the box" which is outdated type of striker , but i might be wrong.If we want to challenge i feel we need different type of striker.To me he felt like a player from the academy looking to find his place in the team and not taking any chances ,but more polished.Hopefully im wrong.
Kolasiniac on the other hand looked amazing.From ability to pass ,cross etc.
firfi
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Schlandi » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:27 pm

#GoonersWorldExcuses
- Their goalkeerper had the game of his life
- We should have had 10+ penalties .. shit ref
- If long term injured player xyz would have been available we would have won easily
Schlandi
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:42 pm

My preseason XI as it stands:

Cech
Koscielny(c) Elneny Monreal
Nelson --- Coquelin --- Ramsey --- Kolasinac
Iwobi
Lacazette --- Giroud

Was tough deciding who to leave out between Walcott/Lacazette/Giroud and Xhaka/Ramsey/Coquelin
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli

CrimsonGunner11

Postby arsenalpan » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 pm

If Sanchez stays and we get a Mahrez-like forward on right side, we may try a new 3-4-3 with full power on offensive side which no other PL teams have ever had. I know it's kind of risky to play Coq alone but the pressure we give to the opponent on their half will be high enough to make them not push too hard in midfield.

--------Sanchez---laca---Mahrez------
--------------------Ozil--------------------------------
Kolašinac-----------------------OX/Nelson
--------------------Coq--------------------------------
any 3 of our CBs
arsenalpan
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk