Eddie Nketiah (14)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby TedLasso » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:51 pm

I know this is basically impossible but, and just hear me out, what if…he keeps improving?

What am I thinking. There’s no way a 23 year old striker at one of the premier clubs in the league will get better. I mean, what are the odds of something like that?
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Re: Eddie Nketiah (14)

Postby Ach » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:09 pm

Barely improved in last 3 years

What makes you think he will now?
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Hypergooner » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:43 pm

At w3 and not much of a run in the team, I think he can get considerably better.
How many times have we seen young forward players leave big clubs and show everyone they are quality after a run of games at a smaller club. Kevin De Bruyne and Serge Gnabry spring to mind.
Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.

Sun Tzu

Hypergooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:21 pm

Hypergooner wrote:At w3 and not much of a run in the team, I think he can get considerably better.
How many times have we seen young forward players leave big clubs and show everyone they are quality after a run of games at a smaller club. Kevin De Bruyne and Serge Gnabry spring to mind.

Have you forgotten about the original Project Youth? The two players you mentioned are a rare exception.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Prime Theo is better than current Martinelli but not better than current Saka. Problem is, getting Theo to be prime, he was hit n miss. Both Saka and Martinelli on form have some way to go to produce the numbers Theo got in his best seasons with us though.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:28 pm

I don't think he will get much better than he is now because of his game, he is a basic poacher/opportunist striker, he doesn't have areas he will improve in, his game is about being in the right place at the right time, not technique.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:02 pm

Theo was a limited player. Lacked dribble , turn, operating in tight spaces and ball holding skills ( not robust enough for a CF) and mostly relied on speed, but did somewhat have a nose for goals. That's why Wenger put him in the wings after observing his capabilities for a while.
He survived at Arsenal for 12 years and scored 108 at an average of 9 goals in all competitions per year. Most teams would have jettisoned him long back, but as per the practices of that Era he carried on like Diaby , Wilshire ( 10 years!), Iwobi, Ox etc., w/o being visibly productive.
Marinelli, on the other hand seems to have many qualities, like dribble ,speed, an eye for the goal, and few other attributes. He's very young and has potential to be a top forward given time and space.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:56 pm

WELL... HE'S IN THE TEAM

Imma get behind him. He DOES work hard and presses well.

Hears hoping he can expand his game beyond tap-ins

Let us spray... (as in laughing your morning tea out your nose)

i mean pray

sigh
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby VCC » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:13 pm

Losmeister wrote:WELL... HE'S IN THE TEAM

Imma get behind him. He DOES work hard and presses well.

Hears hoping he can expand his game beyond tap-ins

Let us spray... (as in laughing your morning tea out your nose)

i mean pray

sigh

Made every other teams CBs day i bet
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 pm

ag6789 wrote:Theo was a limited player. Lacked dribble , turn, operating in tight spaces and ball holding skills ( not robust enough for a CF) and mostly relied on speed, but did somewhat have a nose for goals. That's why Wenger put him in the wings after observing his capabilities for a while.
He survived at Arsenal for 12 years and scored 108 at an average of 9 goals in all competitions per year. Most teams would have jettisoned him long back, but as per the practices of that Era he carried on like Diaby , Wilshire ( 10 years!), Iwobi, Ox etc., w/o being visibly productive.
Marinelli, on the other hand seems to have many qualities, like dribble ,speed, an eye for the goal, and few other attributes. He's very young and has potential to be a top forward given time and space.

Theo as an outside forward was formidable, thats why he got the numbers he got, he was not suited to our pass pass slow game, he thrived getting the ball from starting on the outside shoulder of the full back and running between him and the CB, ball played to him, pace gets him clear and he was pretty deadly in those situations

I think Theo gets rough justice on this forum, he was played out of position for a huge chunk of his career, he was never a winger but was played as a winger for Arsenal and England.
Last edited by theHotHead on Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:44 pm

Walcott would excel playing at Spurs with Kane.

His runs I am behind were under rated. He was just average with the ball at his feet.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:28 am

Agreed, he was totally average with the ball at his feet, but give him a chance to make that run and give him a shot at goal and thats where he shone
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:27 am

TedLasso wrote:I know this is basically impossible but, and just hear me out, what if…he keeps improving?

What am I thinking. There’s no way a 23 year old striker at one of the premier clubs in the league will get better. I mean, what are the odds of something like that?

Yeah it's not impossible. But we've just spent the last few years shifting talented academy players that failed to develop further. Bellerin and Maitland Niles are still on the books and it looks like the end of the road of Reiss Nelson despite looking promising in his early years. Hopefully, Nketiah doubles his numbers and we quick and rabit improvement from him but over the years I've players with more natural fail to develop further at this level so not that optimistic.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:57 am

theHotHead wrote:Prime Theo is better than current Martinelli but not better than current Saka. Problem is, getting Theo to be prime, he was hit n miss. Both Saka and Martinelli on form have some way to go to produce the numbers Theo got in his best seasons with us though.

The funny thing about Theo, despite not looking as naturally gifted on the ball as other players, he turned to be one of our best Project Youth players. Ox, Iwobi, Joel Campbell, Vela..all failed to produce the numbers expected of them. Theo came the closest to delivering but was still inconsistent and met with a lot of criticism from fans.

Martinelli started off well with 10 goals but he's had injury problems and managed just 2 goals, then 6 goals the season just gone. He has a long way to go.

If Saka and ESR manage to double their goals and assists next season, they'd be on par of close to Theo's 12/13 season.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:03 am

Theo in form was a brilliant player. What an outlet he was. When he burst down that right flank it sent shivers down full backs. He made some amazing goals happen for Ade and RvP. Those were good times and it’s a shame we didn’t appreciate them more.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk