Eddie Nketiah (14)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:19 pm

StockGooner wrote:I don't like it, it really irks me but I suppose it's £25m over 5 years.

What we're saying is that Eddie is better than any other player we could get for £25m over the next 5 years. That and he has more value now than he did 2 weeks ago. Again, I don't like it but that's the logic I guess.

It's similar to Auba. Nobody was happy we paid him £300k a week, but we said that £45m (Over 3 years iirc) invested in him was better than any other player we could get for £45m incl. wages and transfer fee. Now that didn't work out, but I think the logic holds true for Eddie as it did for Auba.

What's the alternative at £25m? A Josh King? Pukki?

Pukki scores goals in a rank bad shit team, according to stats we create heaps of chances ask Jay
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ag6789 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:59 pm

This is on case by case basis. We won't have any recognized striker if Nktiah leaves, ; so when others see you're in dire need , they'll squeeze you of gigantic amounts for ordinary players.
So, to ward off a desperate situation, little extra is shelled out. If he doesn't deliver at all, we can always sell him for 5-10 mil in an year or two w/o sustaining heavy losses. It is not 15-20 mil in wages like Ozil and Auba.
As the young players develop, they'll attract attention, so the key is to have competition in the squad , and none feels indispensable.
Right now we have a decent first squad but need to improve the bench. The team is still a work in progress.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby VCC » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:21 pm

I think peeps lose the purpose of a squad.
The 1st team are your best available players for that game, that may not necessary be against every team.
The bench should be made up of players who can change a game or carry out the game plan once an injury occurs, this should also have a developing part to it with some young prospective element.
A squad is as strong as its weakest member
The squad should always be in progression, the team whilst changes can be made for certain fixtures should be nailed on, unfortunately for at least 10 years we have had a thread bare squad ability wise and the results show,
Playing Eddie who can barely change a game or carry out a game plan as a starter or even off the bench is why we are where we are.
Imo he aint good enough for the squad much less starting
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:48 am

I'd stick with Eddie over those 2 !
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:16 pm

VCC wrote:I think peeps lose the purpose of a squad.
The 1st team are your best available players for that game, that may not necessary be against every team.
The bench should be made up of players who can change a game or carry out the game plan once an injury occurs, this should also have a developing part to it with some young prospective element.
The squad should always be in progression, the team whilst changes can be made for certain fixtures should be nailed on, unfortunately for at least 10 years we have had a thread bare squad ability wise and the results show,
Playing Eddie who can barely change a game or carry out a game plan as a starter or even off the bench is why we are where we are.

In a club of our size, Eddie should have plenty of game time in a season with 3 cup competitions and PL sub appearances. The team should be playing over 50 competitive games per season.

This year we had a severely curtailed season due to no Europe and first-round eliminations everywhere, for the first time in a quarter century. And even then Eddie only got minutes because of Laca's horrible form.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:28 pm

VCC wrote:I think peeps lose the purpose of a squad.

Exactly this !!! The squad should be able to allow for absences/injuries/suspensions, thats why it is a squad.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:21 pm

If he stays we’ll only buy 1 forward, so it will be him and the new forward.

I don’t think Nketiah is good enough to be 2nd choice, as others have said he’s not a game changer.

He scored a few goals towards the end of the season, in large part because of dreadful defending not great individual play.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby ag6789 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:37 pm

I think it is a matter of confidence. He's pretty decent inside the box, and if we strengthen the midfield, he'll have greater support and will score more goals. He should be good enough for the cups and EL ( at leat until QFs) and this is as per his current abilities. He could improve a lot more in the coming season because he won't be looking in from the outside and will have the peace of mind to focus .
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Reiss » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:32 pm

If it means we save money and put funds in another important player like Tielemans or Hickey then might as well go for it.

Maybe with more game time Eddie will perform better? He scored a bit more towards the end of last season.

Jesus
Tielemans
Hickey
Winger

= good summer.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:39 pm

Reiss wrote:If it means we save money and put funds in another important player like Tielemans or Hickey then might as well go for it.

Maybe with more game time Eddie will perform better? He scored a bit more towards the end of last season.

Jesus
Tielemans
Hickey
Winger

= good summer.

No it doesn't.

Who's going to play CF?

Jesus is not a box striker so it'll be Nketiah ffs.

Look at who the other teams are buying, our team plus above is not fit for top 4 ......... which we've all agreed across the board is the minimum target this season.

If you think that plus our current squad is good, you don't know what good is.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby TedLasso » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:09 pm

The Vlahovic attempt shows that Arsenal know they need a true centerpiece forward. Nketiah is a good fox in the box but those guys are very different stylistically.

Signing Jesus doesnt change the fact that we still need that player. Wouldnt mind Charles de Ketelaare as a competitive option.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Reiss » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:43 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
Reiss wrote:If it means we save money and put funds in another important player like Tielemans or Hickey then might as well go for it.

Jesus
Tielemans
Hickey
Winger

= good summer.

No it doesn't.

Who's going to play CF?

Look at who the other teams are buying, our team plus above is not fit for top 4 ......... which we've all agreed across the board is the minimum target this season.

Who's going to play CF? The 50m striker we're about to sign.

Some of the stuff you lot come out with sometimes honestly.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby EliteKiller » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:12 am

Reiss wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Jesus
Tielemans
Hickey
Winger

= good summer.

No it doesn't.

Who's going to play CF?

Who's going to play CF? The 50m striker we're about to sign.

Some of the stuff you lot come out with sometimes honestly.

Apologise for quoting this rag - but there is usually no smoke without fire

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10905133/Arsenal-boss-angry-clubs-indecision-market-chiefs-drag-heels-signings.html

"Mikel Arteta's transfer window woe! Arsenal boss is angry at club's indecision in the summer market as chiefs drag their heels over signings"
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:40 am

Is anyone surprised by the article ?? Arteta has spunked so much cash in player purchases and lost player value, its no wonder they are dragging their heels. If I were Kroenke I would tell Arteta to get performances out of the players you have, prove you can do that then you will get backed.

Or is there a magical money tree that I am not aware of?!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 10:42 am

TedLasso wrote:The Vlahovic attempt shows that Arsenal know they need a true centerpiece forward. Nketiah is a good fox in the box but those guys are very different stylistically.

Signing Jesus doesnt change the fact that we still need that player. Wouldnt mind Charles de Ketelaare as a competitive option.

Agreed.

I think Jesus is just a Pepe replacement who also, conveniently, can play the false 9 role.

I wasn't always convinced, even after attempts to get Vlahovic. But I do think we're looking at actual CFs. Hoping for Scamacca... although something about the sound of his name gives me Chamakh PTSD.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk