Eddie Nketiah (14)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:56 am

Ach wrote:Dear God. 2 legends at 14 followed by this guy

Bring back Theo. Emirates legend

It fully represents the changes in level at this club.

Who used to wear it......and who wears it now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Re: Eddie Nketiah (14)

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:28 pm

swipe right wrote:Theo in form was a brilliant player. What an outlet he was. When he burst down that right flank it sent shivers down full backs. He made some amazing goals happen for Ade and RvP. Those were good times and it’s a shame we didn’t appreciate them more.

Jumped up and down when it happened
Jump up and down when it happens now
No lack of appreciation
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:32 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

It shows the level where people give a monkeys about what number a player wears . I have seen lots of dross in all different numbers for the club
Some in seasons where we were pretty good at lifting trophies
starmandb

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:09 pm

TedLasso wrote:I know this is basically impossible but, and just hear me out, what if…he keeps improving?

What am I thinking. There’s no way a 23 year old striker at one of the premier clubs in the league will get better. I mean, what are the odds of something like that?

Yeah Pepe has certainly played a big role under Arteta. Think he'll be getting the armband now that Laca's off? :rofll:

The time for Eddie to get better is long past. We need a 20 goal striker, no ifs or buts. Extending him at 6 figures a week is a desperation move from Edu because we failed to get a proper #9 in Jan and now need to keep him for squad depth. This must have been the 3rd or so offer we had to make.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:13 pm

starmandb wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

It shows the level where people give a monkeys about what number a player wears . I have seen lots of dross in all different numbers for the club
Some in seasons where we were pretty good at lifting trophies

No it doesn't.

The point was quite clear, it was a comparison of the players we used to have and the ones we have now per position.

You can go through the whole team for that comparison and the point is fully valid.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:36 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:At w3 and not much of a run in the team, I think he can get considerably better.
How many times have we seen young forward players leave big clubs and show everyone they are quality after a run of games at a smaller club. Kevin De Bruyne and Serge Gnabry spring to mind.

Have you forgotten about the original Project Youth? The two players you mentioned are a rare exception.

To digress a bit, I really can't understand why some people continue to compare this current project to the original Project Youth. We were a profitable club at the time. That project was about finding gems, basement bargains, using scraps. The objective was to be self-sustainable to pay back the stadium debt. We were a shareholder's dream, an anomaly within football economics.

The existing project couldn't be more dissimilar. We're no longer self-sustainable. The owners have eased on their position for various reasons. We are funding our purchases through loans.

If we incorporate projected spending for this summer, Arteta would have spent around £350m since his arrival. If we look into our outlay during the Emery era as well, we are looking at £500m gross spend since then.

I don't think any Arsenal fan could look at such a heavy financial outflow and pretend that we're amidst a youth resurrection. Not saying that you are, btw. But I've seen this narrative being peddled around.

The team is young. Undoubtedly. That doesn't negate on-the-ground reality. We're paying over the odds for transfers. F. Vieira appears to be a value-for-money signing. So, that's a good start.

In the existing environment, only Spurs can claim to be self-sufficient in the Premier League (amongst the so called big six). I haven't checked Man United's finances, but owing to their gargantuan revenue, they might still be self-sustainable. Just badly run.

While I do believe, we will perform better next season. This squad, plus new arrivals, has the potential to win the Europa League at the very least. Of course, nothing is written on stone. I do like what we're building. That doesn't change the fact that we have spent huge amounts to achieve that.

That is what separates this project from the original Project Youth.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:07 pm

It is probably impossible to have a youth project completely from ground up , because of the unrealistic expectations of fans and media. An youth project to germinate and come into fruition will probably take 5 years, and during that time your team, however famed it was in the past, might fall midtable or even low table ( 15 th -16th) . The fans and the board will basically tear you apart , crucify you many times before kicking you onto the streets.
So , ideally, it has to be a pragmatic approach.
Focus on academy but play the market shrewdly to make up the shortcomings.
That's probably been the target ever, later Wenger days, Unai period, and even now, but there have been bad investments like Pepe, Papa, Luiz , even Partey ( over140 mil) in-between by operators who weren't that committed to the club ( Raul and Co.). But, currently, it seems to be going in right direction because we have a relatively young backbone and trying to plug in experienced quality operators in key positions to take us further.
In this forum or any other, the problem is there always groups of fans liking/disliking someone or other, be it Arteta, Anchelotti, or even Freddie or Unai and there'll be endless conflicts because it'll always come to mine vs yours.
I just want to see how far the current organization can take us given adequate time.
We made some progress ( most pundits agree) and see if we can go further. Otherwise move on to the next one.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:36 pm

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Hypergooner wrote:At w3 and not much of a run in the team, I think he can get considerably better.
How many times have we seen young forward players leave big clubs and show everyone they are quality after a run of games at a smaller club. Kevin De Bruyne and Serge Gnabry spring to mind.

Have you forgotten about the original Project Youth? The two players you mentioned are a rare exception.

To digress a bit, I really can't understand why some people continue to compare this current project to the original Project Youth. We were a profitable club at the time. That project was about finding gems, basement bargains, using scraps. The objective was to be self-sustainable to pay back the stadium debt. We were a shareholder's dream, an anomaly within football economics.

The existing project couldn't be more dissimilar. We're no longer self-sustainable. The owners have eased on their position for various reasons. We are funding our purchases through loans.

If we incorporate projected spending for this summer, Arteta would have spent around £350m since his arrival. If we look into our outlay during the Emery era as well, we are looking at £500m gross spend since then.

I don't think any Arsenal fan could look at such a heavy financial outflow and pretend that we're amidst a youth resurrection. Not saying that you are, btw. But I've seen this narrative being peddled around.

The team is young. Undoubtedly. That doesn't negate on-the-ground reality. We're paying over the odds for transfers. F. Vieira appears to be a value-for-money signing. So, that's a good start.

In the existing environment, only Spurs can claim to be self-sufficient in the Premier League (amongst the so called big six). I haven't checked Man United's finances, but owing to their gargantuan revenue, they might still be self-sustainable. Just badly run.

While I do believe, we will perform better next season. This squad, plus new arrivals, has the potential to win the Europa League at the very least. Of course, nothing is written on stone. I do like what we're building. That doesn't change the fact that we have spent huge amounts to achieve that.

That is what separates this project from the original Project Youth.

I get it and of course the circumstances today are very different. But I'm not comparing that. It's that naive, hopeful, optimism that often deludes us as fans. It's how Arteta got the vote over more experienced candidates. It's easier to imagine something wonderful with a blank canvas.

I only mentioned the original Project Youth as reminder of how difficult it is to produce great players. There are few success stories and plenty that don't make it. It's also odd that someone would mention two world class players that developed elsewhere as if we haven't tried to produce world class players from our own youth set up. We've been discussing Theo Walcott for a couple of pages and look how he splits opinion despite actually being one of the succuss stories from the project.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby TedLasso » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:45 pm

Highbury Hillbilly wrote:
TedLasso wrote:I know this is basically impossible but, and just hear me out, what if…he keeps improving?

What am I thinking. There’s no way a 23 year old striker at one of the premier clubs in the league will get better. I mean, what are the odds of something like that?

Yeah Pepe has certainly played a big role under Arteta. Think he'll be getting the armband now that Laca's off? :rofll:

The time for Eddie to get better is long past. We need a 20 goal striker, no ifs or buts. Extending him at 6 figures a week is a desperation move from Edu because we failed to get a proper #9 in Jan and now need to keep him for squad depth. This must have been the 3rd or so offer we had to make.

Idk wtf you are talking about with Pepe here. All Im saying is Nketiah is 23 and just had his best stretch of form so far. Maybe its possible he’s having that breakout we all hoped for? Growth isnt linear.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:11 pm

TedLasso wrote:

Idk wtf you are talking about with Pepe here. All Im saying is Nketiah is 23 and just had his best stretch of form so far. Maybe its possible he’s having that breakout we all hoped for? Growth isnt linear.

Yes I did see genuine improvement in Eddies stint as a starter and more importantly, end product.

His goals were vital in us beating Leeds and Chelsea but then its not difficult to be more productive than Lacazette who just literally forgot how to score for some reason.

As long as Eddie isn't our no1 then I have no problem with the extension, but don't get me wrong if we buy a no1 and Eddie over takes him then fine, he's proven his worth.

......... now is his time to do that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:54 am

Purple patch or improvement we’ll find out next season when he’s our starting striker.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:31 pm

TedLasso wrote:

NVM I thought I was responding to a post in a different thread! :lipssealed:
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:18 pm

I don't think we have seen any improvement. I think he scored what he scored because he was given a consecutive run of games, nothing more, nothing less.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:27 pm

theHotHead wrote:I don't think we have seen any improvement. I think he scored what he scored because he was given a consecutive run of games, nothing more, nothing less.

I'd say an improvement in attitude and work rate on the pitch. There were times where he wasn't putting in a shift as if he checked out but was probably spoken to and upped his efforts. But I haven't seen a significant change at a technical level.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby ag6789 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:42 pm

If anybody scores 5 in 8 or 10, I would say he's any excellent prospect.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk