Eddie Nketiah (14)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby KG3 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:09 pm

swipe right wrote:It’s handy to have a box striker in the squad. Guys like Eduardo or Chicharito.

Disrespectful to those two players Eduardo would have led us to a BPL title had it not been for his unfortunate injury, Chicharito benched Berbatov/Welbeck and led the line well with united winning the title and they managed to reach the CL final but that Barcelona was far too good for anyone to beat really.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm

KG3 wrote:
swipe right wrote:It’s handy to have a box striker in the squad. Guys like Eduardo or Chicharito.

Disrespectful to those two players Eduardo would have led us to a BPL title had it not been for his unfortunate injury, Chicharito benched Berbatov/Welbeck and led the line well with united winning the title and they managed to reach the CL final but that Barcelona was far too good for anyone to beat really.

That can’t be proven either way, we always bottled it so I reckon we would have even with him, all I can say is we should have signed Huntelaar, but Wenger being Wenger went for the unknown Eduardo.

Either way though Nketiah isn’t anywhere near those, I have my doubts he’ll make it, so does Bielsa.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:25 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:21 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

It's official :crybaby:

Nketiah is one of his favourites, that’s why he won’t be sold.

No, it's more likely because he is 21 and has been one of best young strikers around up to the level just below 1st team football - and now is embarking on his PL effort to progress and try and make it in the game - with so far just 300 minutes under his belt.

It always amazes me how idiotic fans can be when it comes to players.
They seem to be either brilliant or terrible - depending on what happened in the last few weeks. :dontknow:

Not being funny but his stats at U21 are meaningless, they rarely translate to senior football, plenty of strikers score in the U21s and don’t cut it at the top level, wasn’t Jeffers the record scorer at one point and he was awful!

This guy lacks ability, he’s been very average for us missing some gilt edged chances and scoring 5 yard tap ins you can barely miss in most cases.

We should sell him.

Yeah, they do mean something.
When combined with his PL2 record, they mean at the level just below first-team football, very few were better than him.
So, like I said, he is now being tested to see if he can take that to a higher level and score goals in the first team.
So far he has 300 minutes in the PL.
If you think that is enough to judge a 21-year-old starting out in the first team, then you really don't have much of a clue.

Hi record is nothing to write home about, he’s done ok that’s it, as I said before how someone performs at a lower level rarely has any correlation to how the perform at the top level, more often then not they never reproduce.

He scored 5 goals in 19 games at Leeds at a lower level and Bielsa wasn’t impressed with him, I trust his judgment over Artetas.

He also has 4 goals in the PL in 33 games, granted some are sub appearances, but even then it’s a pretty poor return from a tap in merchant.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:Fair enough. I can tell you this, if Arteta proves me wrong I will be the first to say so and will support him as I have every Arsenal manager since Terry Neill.

I think the difficult thing is, before Premier League money you could support your club and not feel you were being taken for granted or being taken for a ride. Now that silly money is in the game and so much is being asked from the fans, poor decisions and greed are a bitter pill to swallow.

Well you are right there
I gave up my season ticket at the end of the 12/13 tickets as the club were pleading the poor mouth yet charging fortunes for admission
I could live with us being luxuriously expensive
But they couldn’t have it both ways
I have maintained my sons junior gunner membership and now it’s become a silver I use it myself
I must admit my visits have become less frequent
I never thought that would be the case but the habit has been broken
In my older age I have enjoyed watching out games on tv far more than I would have imagined
However a lot of the people moaning and groaning have never seen the sky over the arsenal
An awful lot of junior accountancy goes on
Look at the talk of selling tierney if a silly offer comes in?
Who gives a f**k about a very rich club like arsenal getting money in?
They really have pulled a stroke getting fans even considering a balance sheet
I don’t care about wages
Transfer fees or the like
My consideration is success on the pitch and enjoying it
Mind you even when it was 3quid to get in
In the Terry Neill days a draw v West Brom in front of 15,000 was still a disappointment regardless of finances
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby swipe right » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:02 pm

KG3 wrote:

How is it disrespectful to be called a box striker? It’s a position on a football field.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

No, it's more likely because he is 21 and has been one of best young strikers around up to the level just below 1st team football - and now is embarking on his PL effort to progress and try and make it in the game - with so far just 300 minutes under his belt.

They seem to be either brilliant or terrible - depending on what happened in the last few weeks. :dontknow:

Not being funny but his stats at U21 are meaningless, they rarely translate to senior football, plenty of strikers score in the U21s and don’t cut it at the top level, wasn’t Jeffers the record scorer at one point and he was awful!

This guy lacks ability, he’s been very average for us missing some gilt edged chances and scoring 5 yard tap ins you can barely miss in most cases.

We should sell him.

When combined with his PL2 record, they mean at the level just below first-team football, very few were better than him.
So, like I said, he is now being tested to see if he can take that to a higher level and score goals in the first team.
If you think that is enough to judge a 21-year-old starting out in the first team, then you really don't have much of a clue.

Hi record is nothing to write home about, he’s done ok that’s it, as I said before how someone performs at a lower level rarely has any correlation to how the perform at the top level, more often then not they never reproduce.

He scored 5 goals in 19 games at Leeds at a lower level and Bielsa wasn’t impressed with him, I trust his judgment over Artetas.

He also has 4 goals in the PL in 33 games, granted some are sub appearances, but even then it’s a pretty poor return from a tap in merchant.

His record at the U21 level for England is the best ever.
His record in PL2 before he made the step up was fantastic (more than twice as good as Balogun's, btw).

His loan deal at Leeds was indeed problematic... He didn't get enough regular starts. However he still scored some important goals and the Leeds fans by and large rated him. he actually scored 5 goals in just 663 minutes play for them - a goal every 132 minutes. Very good. Blame Bielsa for not playing him. That is why his loan was ended.

The 4 goals in 33 games at senior level for us is not a valid stat.
He has only played 1,000 minutes to get those 4 goals.
A goal every 250 minutes is actually pretty decent for a player getting the odd sub appearance from the ages of 17 to 21.

Also, 1st team, FA Cup, 2 goals in 300 minutes from a few minutes here and there from the ages of 17-21

League Cup 1st team, 3 goals in 232 minutes

Europa League 1st team, 3 goals in 580 minutes.

All in all his first-team contribution from the ages of 17-21 years old are 12 goals in 2,234 minutes of first-team football.

That's a goal every 186 minutes since he started getting the odd playing time here and there in our first team - extremely good for that time period of a young career. he is WAY ahead of what most strikers - even some of those that go on to become major stars - do between the ages of 17-21.

As I said - this year is actually his first full year in the Arsenal first-team squad and he has played 300 or so PL minutes. He's scored 5 goals in all comps so far - actually still decent in return given he has only played a total of 1000 minutes this year across all comps. Not enough to judge, yet, but keep in mind that kind of rate, if it can be maintained over a season, is a 20+ goal a season striker.

If you want to pretend that you know enough from this season's 300 minutes of PL action as a fully-fledged member of the 1st team squad, whilst also disregarding the fact he's scored 4 in 700 minutes in other competitions, that's up to you. In reality, you have no clue about how he'll turn out.

All of the above will be looked at by Arsenal - along with the players' attitude and work rate and their judgement of whether he can continue to improve. On balance, I think the club would make a sound choice in keeping the player unless a bid of 20+ million came in. Under that kind of offer, they'd have to weigh the value of the money now vs the chances of further progression. That would be a tough choice - especially with Aubameyang coming towards the end of his career and Laca approaching 30, along with Martinelli (a rare talent) looking injury prone.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

We should sell him.

His record in PL2 before he made the step up was fantastic (more than twice as good as Balogun's, btw).

His loan deal at Leeds was indeed problematic... He didn't get enough regular starts. However he still scored some important goals and the Leeds fans by and large rated him. he actually scored 5 goals in just 663 minutes play for them - a goal every 132 minutes. Very good. Blame Bielsa for not playing him. That is why his loan was ended.

A goal every 250 minutes is actually pretty decent for a player getting the odd sub appearance from the ages of 17 to 21.

Also, 1st team, FA Cup, 2 goals in 300 minutes from a few minutes here and there from the ages of 17-21

All in all his first-team contribution from the ages of 17-21 years old are 12 goals in 2,234 minutes of first-team football.

That's a goal every 186 minutes since he started getting the odd playing time here and there in our first team - extremely good for that time period of a young career. he is WAY ahead of what most strikers - even some of those that go on to become major stars - do between the ages of 17-21.

As I said - this year is actually his first full year in the Arsenal first-team squad and he has played 300 or so PL minutes. He's scored 5 goals in all comps so far - actually still decent in return given he has only played a total of 1000 minutes this year across all comps. Not enough to judge, yet, but keep in mind that kind of rate, if it can be maintained over a season, is a 20+ goal a season striker.

If you want to pretend that you know enough from this season's 300 minutes of PL action as a fully-fledged member of the 1st team squad, whilst also disregarding the fact he's scored 4 in 700 minutes in other competitions, that's up to you. In reality, you have no clue about how he'll turn out.

All of the above will be looked at by Arsenal - along with the players' attitude and work rate and their judgement of whether he can continue to improve. On balance, I think the club would make a sound choice in keeping the player unless a bid of 20+ million came in. Under that kind of offer, they'd have to weigh the value of the money now vs the chances of further progression. That would be a tough choice - especially with Aubameyang coming towards the end of his career and Laca approaching 30, along with Martinelli (a rare talent) looking injury prone.

Again records at U21 often don’t translate to goals at the top levels, in fact this is often the case.

He’s had enough games and chances now to have shown more than he has, his general play isn’t great and he never really impresses when he plays, the majority of fans don’t really rate him and that says a lot, as fans like to give young players a chance (myself included).

You’ve got Martinelli, Saka, ESR who have all done well when they’ve played and they’re all younger that this guy, as I said talent is apparent at a young age and I just don’t see anything special with Nketiah, so I get why Bielsa didn’t bother.

When he has started he’s been pretty diabolical to be honest, offering nothing.

For me I’d sell, we may have been able to get 15 million, we need the money to invest in other players, I would have certainly taken that, Arteta being Arteta won’t sell of course, he has a soft slot for him, just like he has for Willock.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:10 pm

We're not getting £15m for a striker that rarely plays and has no track record in the PL.

We're keeping him as third choice in case Laca leaves or runs his contract down.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Ach » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:19 pm

aniym wrote:We're not getting £15m for a striker that rarely plays and has no track record in the PL.

We're keeping him as third choice in case Laca leaves or runs his contract down.

Solanke and Brewster would say otherwise and both are worse than nketiah.

But knowing our lot, we will sell eddie for 2.5m
Ach
SE13
SE13

Postby ESR10 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:22 pm

With one year left we will probably not get more than 10-15m next summer. Now it could be 15-20m imho.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:26 pm

Ach wrote:
aniym wrote:We're not getting £15m for a striker that rarely plays and has no track record in the PL.

Solanke and Brewster would say otherwise and both are worse than nketiah.

But knowing our lot, we will sell eddie for 2.5m

We ain't Liverpool. We'd have let Coutinho run his contract down and offered £30m for VVD.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:53 pm

Didn’t Liverpool get 20 odd million for Brewster though?
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:44 pm

Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
Özim wrote:
Mustafi wrote:

We should sell him.

Again records at U21 often don’t translate to goals at the top levels, in fact this is often the case.

He’s had enough games and chances now to have shown more than he has, his general play isn’t great and he never really impresses when he plays, the majority of fans don’t really rate him and that says a lot, as fans like to give young players a chance (myself included).

You’ve got Martinelli, Saka, ESR who have all done well when they’ve played and they’re all younger that this guy, as I said talent is apparent at a young age and I just don’t see anything special with Nketiah, so I get why Bielsa didn’t bother.

When he has started he’s been pretty diabolical to be honest, offering nothing.

For me I’d sell, we may have been able to get 15 million, we need the money to invest in other players, I would have certainly taken that, Arteta being Arteta won’t sell of course, he has a soft slot for him, just like he has for Willock.

The point is you have absolutely zero clue on whether Nketiah's fabulous scoring record at all levels up to the level before the first team can be maintained in the first team.

When he's played a little more (a lot more) we might get a better idea. :think:

Overall in terms of his first-team action - limited though it is - 12 goals for the first team in what amounts to half a season of minutes is none too shabby - achieved from the ages of 17-21. None too shabby at all. A lot of senior strikers would be happy with that.

Will he go on to fulfil his potential as a youngster? I don't know. Neither do you.

The players you mentioned :

Martinelli - unreal talent and not standard. You'll get no arguments form me that he is better than Nketiah - significantly so. I believe Gabi to be our most talented footballer (by a mile).

ESR - He has just strung together 2 or 3 decent performances (last game he was pretty poor until he stepped up for the goal). I am delighted for him as I rate him. He's also been really poor in other games. As usual, opinions are being taken over a 3 game stretch. Stupid. ESR needs to continue his journey and keep improving. He is nowhere even close to his potential - and even further away from where some are positioning him (even to the extent of comparing him to De Bryne FFS).

Saka - is in his second season as a 1st team regular. He was good in patches last year and utterly useless in other spells. Expected. He improved again this year. Also not the finished article.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:35 pm

Problem with Nketiah is he's just a goal hanger / poacher.

He's like Giroud only less aerial because he's smaller, he's not overly skillful.

he literally doesn't do much but run around a bit and goal hangs, we're lucky if he scores so he can actually contribute.

Honestly, that's lower than Wolves level, Nketiah would be good for a lower league team who just throws balls in the box.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:57 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Problem with Nketiah is he's just a goal hanger / poacher.

He's like Giroud only less aerial because he's smaller, he's not overly skillful.

he literally doesn't do much but run around a bit and goal hangs, we're lucky if he scores so he can actually contribute.

Honestly, that's lower than Wolves level, Nketiah would be good for a lower league team who just throws balls in the box.

He’s nothing like Giroud
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk