Eddie Nketiah (14)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Eddie Nketiah (30)

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 27, 2022 6:22 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Rockape wrote:Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about Eddie as the rest of you, but there is a limited supply of strikers who are better than Eddie and available to us. Therefore, until such time as we have better players in the squad or at least signed up, it would be a massive mistake to let him go.

Without keeping raking over old ground, we haven't got CL, so we won't be seeing a queue at our door (with high quality players) anytime soon!

That is true, but I'm certain Martinelli would score the same type of goals Eddie has scored and maybe more if played there. He has the work rate, speed and tenacity to score those type of goals. A solution has been staring us in the face for ages.

No I'm not so sure.

Martinelli likes to run with the ball while Eddie plays like a CF, box predator, headers, staying close to goal etc.

Martinelli is a Winger / WF, he's not a box striker.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 27, 2022 6:25 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Again, same as Elneny.

We didn't get our CL money so we have £50m reduced from our budget and Stan is in a bad mood.

With minimal funds signing Eddie as 2nd CF maybe isn't terrible, he can score, he's proven that, more than Lacazette did, he is a proper CF although not at the level we need for first choice, he can be 2nd choice and play the weaker games in the Europa and cups.

We're not going to have the money to buy two top CF's as well as other positions now.

A new no1 and Eddie as back up, is doable while we're not a top 4 team, that's the reality of not being a CL squad.

Come off it DG, we are frikkin Arsenal FC. We don't plan for now, we look ahead. We need to be a top 4 club, we aint doing that with Eddie as backup CF. If we play with mid-table players - we will become a mid-table team. We need better players, to put us where we need to be.

You'll likely find the budget we're given won't allow us to buy too many players.

This isn't about what we want, its about what Stan gives, Arteta did not look happy when he had that press conference and was asked about his summer budget after we failed top 4.

Saying "we're Arsenal FC" holds no weight any more ......... Arsenal is whatever Kroenke decides we are and the signs are he's not happy with not getting 4th and has reduced our budget.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 27, 2022 6:35 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Rockape wrote:Don't get me wrong, I feel the same about Eddie as the rest of you, but there is a limited supply of strikers who are better than Eddie and available to us. Therefore, until such time as we have better players in the squad or at least signed up, it would be a massive mistake to let him go.

Without keeping raking over old ground, we haven't got CL, so we won't be seeing a queue at our door (with high quality players) anytime soon!

That is true, but I'm certain Martinelli would score the same type of goals Eddie has scored and maybe more if played there. He has the work rate, speed and tenacity to score those type of goals. A solution has been staring us in the face for ages.

No I'm not so sure.

Martinelli likes to run with the ball while Eddie plays like a CF, box predator, headers, staying close to goal etc.

You should rewatch the games where Martinelli played as CF for us under Emery when he first arrived here.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby DiamondGooner » Fri May 27, 2022 6:41 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

No I'm not so sure.

You should rewatch the games where Martinelli played as CF for us under Emery when he first arrived here.

I remember but that was what two games?

The player has said himself he prefers playing on the wing, no point in forcing him to convert, may as well buy the CF we need.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Fri May 27, 2022 6:51 pm

My fear with another small/non dominant CF that we are slinging in crosses for is that we won't convert the chances, to me it is clear, the Archetype of CR we need is someone big and strong, good with the ball at their feet and good in the air. Being good in the air gives you a second option immediately.

Think back to those days when we needed a goal and Wenger would bring on Bendtner and he would inevitably score a headed goal. Giroud obviously provided a goal threat in the air as a forward, we have missed that option so much. Sick of just seeing these small technical players attacking, I want to see a brute up top dominating defences !!!

We need to be able to fight fire with fire, its good that we do pose a threat at attacking set pieces, but thats just from one player - Gabriel.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Fri May 27, 2022 6:51 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

No I'm not so sure.

I remember but that was what two games?

The player has said himself he prefers playing on the wing, no point in forcing him to convert, may as well buy the CF we need.

Most of Martinelli's goals are poacher type goals and tap ins. It's not a hard adjust for him to do what Eddie does.

https://youtu.be/bEjSqcuVRsE

Look for yourself at his top 10 goals.

I don't know if Eddie will or has signed on to be a backup striker. I think he may be first choice. I also think we could end up signing a winger, which would further limit Martinelli's game time and Smith Rowe's.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Fri May 27, 2022 7:13 pm

Talk of a 5 year contract, personally find this a shocking decision.

He scored 5 goals all season and only scored in 3 matches and most of those were handed to him on a plate.

He’ll probably go all next season scoring about 3 goals, it’s been pretty evident that he’s not up to playing at this level for a while now.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri May 27, 2022 9:41 pm

Salibatelli wrote:Talk of a 5 year contract, personally find this a shocking decision.

He scored 5 goals all season and only scored in 3 matches and most of those were handed to him on a plate.

He’ll probably go all next season scoring about 3 goals, it’s been pretty evident that he’s not up to playing at this level for a while now.

The Rob Holding effect. Never good enough, but got an extension anyway and now we're stuck with him as backup CB till he's 30.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby alexafc12 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:08 am

Rob Holding is our third choice CB. Soon to be fourth.

He's also earning a reporter £40k per week.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zenith » Sat May 28, 2022 10:09 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Santi » Sat May 28, 2022 11:01 am

Salibatelli wrote:Talk of a 5 year contract, personally find this a shocking decision.

Agree, absolutely shocking decision if it happens.

Will depend on the wages as to how bad it is but knowing us and knowing how he rejected Palace already due to wages, we'll probably be giving him 80k pw.

I'd sack Edu for that alone and it puts Mikel's judgement on watch.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sat May 28, 2022 11:03 am

This will be our ONLY striker going into next season. Mark my words. This is Arsenal lol
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:34 am

If two Prem clubs and two Bundesliga clubs approached him , then he could be at least good for a 2nd choice at Arsenal. Don't see a big problem w/that as long as we buy a quality first choice striker. Only issue is his salary, probably to ward off other parties.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Sat May 28, 2022 11:57 am

ag6789 wrote:If two Prem clubs and two Bundesliga clubs approached him , then he could be at least good for a 2nd choice at Arsenal. Don't see a big problem w/that as long as we buy a quality first choice striker. Only issue is his salary, probably to ward off other parties.

To be honest, you rarely see the problem until it's too late, like a deer in headlights . I recall the discussion we had about Auba when Arsenal made a statement and you didn't think much of it then when most were saying it would have bigger ramifications.

£100k for a back up striker is too much and Eddie signing on to be a back up striker goes against everything Eddie has previously said about playing time and developing.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Sat May 28, 2022 12:43 pm

The two Prem teams were Norwich and Watford.

Bundesliga were Furth and Bielefield
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk