Joe Willock

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Joe Willock

Postby themessiah » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:45 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
aniym wrote:
Özim wrote:If it’s a loan don’t bother, it’s time we sold players we don’t want, all that happens after a loan is we either loan them again, their value drops and we can’t sell or their contract runs down and we lose them for peanuts.

Does anyone at this club actually know what they’re doing, because it sure doesn’t look like it.

Willock will end up like Nelson if he stays; Arteta doesn't rate him, and I get the feeling Odegaard will be back here later this season. Hope Monaco come in with an offer.

Nelson just looks worse every time I see him play.
I think the reason he's 'ended up' where he is, is down to being not good enough.

Willock has at least shown something and performed at the highest level, albeit for just half a season.
He's worth keeping IMO to see if he can keep on developing as a goal-scoring midfielder.

He is better than Nelson. My main problem with Willock is he has no place at a top 6 team. It doesn’t matter whether we play 4231 or 433. At Newcastle he was playing second striker in the old 442/4411 and that is the only time he has ever looked like a decent Premier League player. That won’t work for us. It is shocking.
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:26 pm

theHotHead wrote:Willock can't play number 10, he is not creative, he just gets on the end of things. He's a CM that makes good late runs, definitely not a no10.

The Ramsey role. Still unfilled, but then again I doubt a Ramsey-style player fits into Arteta's system.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:13 pm

aniym wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Willock can't play number 10, he is not creative, he just gets on the end of things. He's a CM that makes good late runs, definitely not a no10.

The Ramsey role. Still unfilled, but then again I doubt a Ramsey-style player fits into Arteta's system.

A Ramsey-style midfielder would only work in SAF's ManU. Given how he colossally flopped at Juve, and Wenger himself deployed Ramsey as a RAM after/during 14/15, or a CM in a 3-4-3, a midfielder whose sole skill is arriving late and scoring doesn't resonate with most top teams.

You can see why Dele Alli has cooled off. While a different player to Ramsey, Dele was/is more of a second striker, an attacker whose only skill was creating chaos in the opposition box. Those are the types of players SAF liked, which is why he (SAF) was in for Ramsey as well. He also advised Mourinho to buy Dele when the latter was ManU manager.

van Persie used to call himself a 9.5. Going by the same assessment, Ramsey was a 8.5. Willock appears to be poor man's Dele.

Under a Wenger or Klopp, I wouldn't have minded Willock. Under Arteta, who already can't set-up a midfield, he'd be lost.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:24 pm

Angelito wrote:
aniym wrote:

A Ramsey-style midfielder would only work in SAF's ManU. Given how he colossally flopped at Juve, and Wenger himself deployed Ramsey as a RAM after/during 14/15, or a CM in a 3-4-3, a midfielder whose sole skill is arriving late and scoring doesn't resonate with most top teams.

You can see why Dele Alli has cooled off. While a different player to Ramsey, Dele was/is more of a second striker, an attacker whose only skill was creating chaos in the opposition box. Those are the types of players SAF liked, which is why he (SAF) was in for Ramsey as well. He also advised Mourinho to buy Dele when the latter was ManU manager.

van Persie used to call himself a 9.5. Going by the same assessment, Ramsey was a 8.5. Willock appears to be poor man's Dele.

Under a Wenger or Klopp, I wouldn't have minded Willock. Under Arteta, who already can't set-up a midfield, he'd be lost.

You could have stopped at "Ramsey at Juve". He is a total outsider there, what were you expecting him to accomplish?

I'm not suggesting bringing Ramsey back. But we need someone to make those runs into box. We don't have anybody who's doing that.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:03 pm

If that goal had have counted, great hit!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:02 pm

Unfortunate to not be credited with a goal.

https://v.redd.it/d0qx0zj3pre71
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby swipe right » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:45 pm

We should hold onto this guy. He gets goals from midfield. Something we need badly.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:57 am

Newcastle have reportedly broken their original transfer budget of £20million, by agreeing a £25million deal to sign Arsenal midfielder Joe Willock.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:41 am

https://www.football365.com/news/arsena ... le-willock

No good sources reporting it yet though.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby alexafc12 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:14 pm

If true, £25m is a decent deal for both parties tbh.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Salibatelli » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:06 pm

Yeah 25 million sounds great if it happens would be happy with that!
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Blimey - if it's true (big if) - then this is amazing business for us.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:26 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Blimey - if it's true (big if) - then this is amazing business for us.

Help me understand something. You bang on about the amazing run we had after Christmas as proof that something special is coming together. So why don’t you feel the same way about the amazing run that Willock had at Newcastle? Why are you in a hurry to sell him?
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Marsbar100 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:34 pm

swipe right wrote:We should hold onto this guy. He gets goals from midfield. Something we need badly.

Agreed
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby swipe right » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:44 pm

Marsbar100 wrote:
swipe right wrote:We should hold onto this guy. He gets goals from midfield. Something we need badly.

Agreed

He could easily turn into a James Madison type of player and command 50-60 mil. This again seems penny wise and pound foolish by Arsenal.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football