Emile Smith Rowe (10)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Emile Smith Rowe (10)

Postby swipe right » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:02 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:ESR needs to evolve his game if he wants to start at a big club. He’s not a striker or an inside forward. He’s more a Delle Ali style number ten and those type of players struggle to fit into starting elevens nowadays. He should evolve his style like KdB into an 8 who can drive the ball forward with power runs, pass it between the lines or make late runs like Lampard used to. But for that he’s going to have to work on his positional game and ball interceptions.

I think that's already happening since Odegaard has his 10 place. I'm not worried about his game because has the ability to do all of what you mentioned. An wide player, an 8 or 10....i think he can adapt to all and do well.

Sure. He is versatile. But if he wants to start every week at Arsenal or else where he’s going to have to learn how to play deeper.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:33 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:ESR needs to evolve his game if he wants to start at a big club. He’s not a striker or an inside forward. He’s more a Delle Ali style number ten and those type of players struggle to fit into starting elevens nowadays. He should evolve his style like KdB into an 8 who can drive the ball forward with power runs, pass it between the lines or make late runs like Lampard used to. But for that he’s going to have to work on his positional game and ball interceptions.

I think that's already happening since Odegaard has his 10 place. I'm not worried about his game because has the ability to do all of what you mentioned. An wide player, an 8 or 10....i think he can adapt to all and do well.

Sure. He is versatile. But if he wants to start every week at Arsenal or else where he’s going to have to learn how to play deeper.

It's not something he can fix on his own. Arteta has to play him consistently in a regular position and I don't think it will come easily since he's competing with Martinelli and Odegaard for a space. I also don't see Arteta developing him into an 8 either. The three roles he can potentially play are all very different and it won't happen overnight. I fear both Martinelli and ESR will lose out on development having to compete for the same space.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:01 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

It's not something he can fix on his own. Arteta has to play him consistently in a regular position and I don't think it will come easily since he's competing with Martinelli and Odegaard for a space. I also don't see Arteta developing him into an 8 either. The three roles he can potentially play are all very different and it won't happen overnight. I fear both Martinelli and ESR will lose out on development having to compete for the same space.

You’re right. It’s probably what will happen. Arteta has never shown a commitment to him.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Power n Glory » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:31 pm

swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
swipe right wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

You’re right. It’s probably what will happen. Arteta has never shown a commitment to him.

When he got the 10 shirt and signed a new deal, I though he had that 10 position locked in. I prefer him playing closer to Saka because the have a great understanding.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:33 am

Power n Glory wrote:

Im not sure he can, he doesnt have the passing range of KDB, not even close from what I have seen so far. Simplicity is his game, that's the key that, for me, makes him so effective and difficult to stop him. I think if he tries to complicate his game he will struggle for form.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:44 am

And here we are, full circle. Plenty of us said Arteta lucked into playing ESR in the first place, it was the last throw of the dice from a desperate manager in December 2020, he threw ESR into the deep end and ESR saved his managerial career!!!

I questioned how Arteta would find a way to play the starlet AND Odegaard together.

Now here we are discussing again, Arteta not actually showing committment to ESR (which backs the argument that the only reason he picked him back in 2020 was desperation) and that Arteta has not solved the conundrum of how to integrate Odegaard and ESR in the same team.

I honestly dont think Arteta knows how to do it because, simply put, he is not smart enough to, he doesnt have many tricks up his sleeve offensively.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Jun 05, 2022 4:46 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:

Im not sure he can, he doesnt have the passing range of KDB, not even close from what I have seen so far. Simplicity is his game, that's the key that, for me, makes him so effective and difficult to stop him. I think if he tries to complicate his game he will struggle for form.

Who has the KDB passing range? You're comparing him with the very best.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby BexleyGooner » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:27 pm

He seems a bit of a forgotten man lately. No one seems to talk about him at all. Has he not kicked on or disappointed the fans, or is he just not good enough to get in the first team at present?
BexleyGooner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ag6789 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:40 pm

He will be fine. Here the less talked about the better. People will find out only when he's wanted elsewhere. Let the season begin and this rubbish 'who's got whom' will recede.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TedLasso » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:15 pm

He’s just the odd man out right now due to injuries and a slow return from covid. Once he’s fully fit, he’ll be one of the first guys off the bench, if not starting.
TedLasso
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Reiss » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:36 pm

Something's up with his fitness/body.

He can't last more than 60 minutes before cramping up/needing to come off.

He needs to sort it out.
Reiss
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:10 pm

TedLasso wrote:He’s just the odd man out right now due to injuries and a slow return from covid. Once he’s fully fit, he’ll be one of the first guys off the bench, if not starting.

His name should be one of the first on the team sheet. Brilliant player.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby 22-0 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:19 pm

Dunno why he gets so much hate on here. i really like him.
22-0
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:39 pm

Yeah very good young player, he’s very productive.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
TedLasso wrote:He’s just the odd man out right now due to injuries and a slow return from covid. Once he’s fully fit, he’ll be one of the first guys off the bench, if not starting.

His name should be one of the first on the team sheet. Brilliant player.

Agreed. Easily one of my favorite Arsenal players currently but it does look like it’s hard to fit him in the starting XI. I’ve personally been having trouble trying to decide if he should be moved out wide or kept in the middle.

The point I’m at right now with him after watching him more is that I’d say his best position is as a CAM but with crossing wingers and a back to goal type ST.

Unfortunately the formation and players Arteta seems to prefer does not appear to prioritize ESR. Can seem him struggling to put up the same numbers he did last season unless Arteta is more flexible with his formation and tactics.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk