Emirates Era XI?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Emirates Era XI?

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:26 pm

For Arsenal obvs
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:27 pm

Sims wrote:For Arsenal obvs

Ozil.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Dubs4Sam » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:30 pm

Lehmann
Sagna - Vermelan - Koscielny - Clichy
Gilberto
Cesc Cazorla
Alexis Ozil
van Persie

Its not in the shape I wrote and couldn't be bothered - but is Gilberto infront of back four and Alexis / Ozil out on the flanks.

Bench: Cech, Bellerin, Ozil, Coquelin, Rosicky, Ozil, Monreal

Opened to be a defensive nightmare but I am a Wengerite with in this Thread.
Dubs4Sam
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:35 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:

Ozil.

Alexis & Ozil aren't as good as what van Persie & Cesc were
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:39 pm

Sims wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:

Ozil.

Yeah I'd take the duo that has at least helped us win two FA Cups.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby KG3 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Sims wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:

Ozil.

Sanchez didn't play for us the first year we won an FA cup, RVP and Cesc won the FA cup for us in 2005 against and a Manchester United side under Fergie far more difficult task that beating a relegation villa side under sherwood, bu anyway your logic on which duo is better is pretty stupid lol.
Last edited by KG3 on Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Sorry for my preference of players who play key roles in helping us achieve something tangible.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Sims » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:59 pm

That doesn't mean the best though

That's just players you prefer
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:14 pm

KG3 wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Sims wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:

Ozil.

Sanchez didn't play for us the first year we won an FA cup, RVP and Cesc won the FA cup for us in 2005 against and a Manchester United side under Fergie far more difficult task that beating a relegation villa side under sherwood, bu anyway your logic on which duo is better is pretty stupid lol.

We won at Old Trafford as well as beating Spurs, Liverpool and Everton on the way to those 2 FA cups. Not our fault the draw made us knock them out so early. Would have preferred beating them in the final myself but a trophy is a trophy init. And that's without me finding out how much they actually played in that cup run...

Also all RVP ever did for us was get us top 4. He was injured when we needed him most and f***ked off before we could build a team to match his quality. Cesc was great for us but ultimately a bottler.

Alexis and Ozil both came here and won. They've been let down by Wenger more than anything who refused to sign anyone last summer which would have won us the league and settled this pointless debate
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:20 pm

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:Sorry but I only care about players who actually achieved something and didn't betray the club:

Szczesny
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Arteta Ramsey
Alexis Ozil Cazorla
Giroud

Monreal didn't betray us, mate.

Sims wrote:Is it agreed that van Persie was the best to play at the Emirates

Easily.

Sims wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:

Ozil.

While I can see where you're coming from, I still want to know how exactly. van Persie was the best striker in the planet from '11 - '13. Cesc wasn't the best midfield player in the world at any point in his career. There is a greater argument for van Persie, yes I can agree. With Cesc, I can't. 2011/2012 was arguably the weakest squad Wenger ever had, and the way van Persie dragged us to finish 3rd - as far as contribution goes, that's as good an individual performance by any Gunner under Wenger.

You see, Alexis and Ozil have won FA Cups with us, and have seen us seen finish highest in the League since 04/05. van Persie and Cesc did win the FA Cup in 2005, with us, but at that time, they weren't anywhere near being two of the most important players in our squad.

Here's a fact that will startle people - comparing their Arsenal careers:

- Cesc Fabregas

Mins played: 23.758'
Games played: 302
Goals: 58
Assists: 91
Trophies: FA Cup 2005

Contribution ratio = 152.29' (per goal or assist)
Strike rate = 51.65%

- Mesut Ozil

Mins played: 11.830'
Games played: 140
Goals: 29
Assists: 50
Trophies: FA Cups, 2014 and 2015

Contribution ratio = 149.75' (per goal or assist)
Strike rate = 55.43%

To think, Cesc was playing with Henry, van Persie, and Adebayor, while Ozil has played with Giroud, Sanogo, Welbeck, and Alexis.. Stark contrast.

Overall, it's van Persie > Ozil > Alexis > Cesc as far as talent goes.

Finally, when you analyze the players we had then - van Persie, Cesc, Nasri, and Arshavin, Song (who was good for us); or van Persie, Cesc, Rosicky, Hleb, Flamini (when he was good), Adebayor, Eduardo, etc.. We had better attacking options then. Difference today is - we have Alexis and Ozil, and a better defense - yet, also liabilities like Theo, Chamberlain; a rookie like Iwobi, and a talented player like Ramsey - who Wenger doesn't know how to use, nor is smart enough to adapt accordingly.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Santi » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 pm

RVP comfortably the best in the Emirates era, to try and take that away because he played with a lot of shit during the 'no money' era and was here for the most unstable period our club has gone through in 20+ years, is massively unfair.

As a duo RVP + Cesc > Alexis n Ozil for me. We didn't quite get over the line while they were here but we played much better football and actually should've won a couple of titles, whilst last year we finish 2nd with absolutely no hope of ever winning the thing...great?

07/08 was the biggest f**k up, also should've had a cup in 2011 but for the f***ing wojcielny blunder. Can't blame those two for Martin Taylor and the calamity. Gallas being a f***ing crybaby etc. You can look at it either way but I wouldn't go just on the two FA Cups when talking about the 4 of them in terms of quality and worth to our club, simply for the fact there's 9 other players in any team that wins a cup.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:37 pm

Mesüt wrote:RVP comfortably the best in the Emirates era, to try and take that away because he played with a lot of shit during the 'no money' era and was here for the most unstable period our club has gone through in 20+ years, is massively unfair.

As a duo RVP + Cesc > Alexis n Ozil for me. We didn't quite get over the line while they were here but we played much better football and actually should've won a couple of titles, whilst last year we finish 2nd with absolutely no hope of ever winning the thing...great?

07/08 was the biggest f**k up, also should've had a cup in 2011 but for the f***ing wojcielny blunder. Can't blame those two for Martin Taylor and the calamity. Gallas being a f***ing crybaby etc. You can look at it either way but I wouldn't go just on the two FA Cups when talking about the 4 of them in terms of quality and worth to our club, simply for the fact there's 9 other players in any team that wins a cup.

The bolded part - priorities of a Gooner. Always. ;) It's like Robbie of AFTV seeing a positive. "Come on, man.. Did you see Alexis dribble past their defense for our goal? Yeaaaa, we lost 5-1, but that goal - was somethin else."

Your last paragraph - that catastrophic collapse in '08 should have been the biggest shocker in our PL history. Today, it's the yardstick as far as points total and performances go. I do understand that the FA Cup wins have become inconsequential lately, and let's blame Wenger for that, instead of appreciating how two world class players in their prime joined us than moaning about leaving us. And, still Wenger f***ked up.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby KG3 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:32 pm

Mesüt wrote:RVP comfortably the best in the Emirates era, to try and take that away because he played with a lot of shit during the 'no money' era and was here for the most unstable period our club has gone through in 20+ years, is massively unfair.

Ok who hacked Mesuts account?

The real Mesut would have blamed Kos instead of his boy
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:03 pm

KG3 wrote:

Ok who hacked Mesuts account?

The real Mesut would have blamed Kos instead of his boy

Wojcielny

Greater part of Kos's name
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby REWBS » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:19 pm

Cech
Sagna - toure - Koscielny - Nacho
Cesc - flamini (07/08 combo)
rosicky - Özil - Alexis
van Persie

subs: szny, gallas, clichy, bellerin, coquelin, cazorla, helb, nasri, arshavin, iwobi, walcott, adebayor.
REWBS
Liam Brady

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk