Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who should replace Emery?

Brendan Rodgers
9%
Eddie Howe
5%
Freddie Ljungberg
4%
Massimiliano Allegri
12%
Mauricio Pochettino
32%
Mikel Arteta
13%
Rafael Benitez
9%
Other
16%

Total votes : 76

Re: Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Postby StLGooner » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:46 pm

I don't know who we need, but we need someone that the players will respect. I don't think they ever respected Emery.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:54 pm

starmandb wrote:
aniym wrote:
Holdini wrote:
Godlop wrote:What big manager wants to come to Arsenal now?

Going to Arsenal at the current situation is a career suicide.

liverpool managed to get klopp and they had a far far worse squad than us and were in a worse situation.

you can get the right man in if you sell the project well.

We aren't Liverpool. Their fans are dedicated beyond belief, even during the shit football years between Rafa's sacking and Klopp's arrival. They don't openly abuse their manager and players on match day like we do. Their players in the past often sucked but they tried damn hard to play for the shirt and justify fan support. The muppets we have are happy to hide behind the manager for their failings.

Most importantly, they give their managers time and money. Klopp in his first season ended 8th and lost an EL final. That would have been enough to sack him at Arsenal, where managers are given 18 months to fix the rot the predecessor left.

Lovely lazy generic bollox about those magnificent Scouse fans that any sports writer fills a column with when he is having a brain freeze idea wise
Doesn't take into account the stick David James got
Brendan Rogers got near the end of his tenure
And even klopp was getting as recently as 2 years ago
But keep up the narrative
It's easier than actually examining nuanced reasons why fans are f***ked off with the set up at a club that are selling themselves cheaply yet charging a fortune for the privilege

You are right, but unfortunately, managers don't give a toss about why the fans are angry at the club. They see a toxic atmosphere and demand for instant success (<1 season), and they'll know they'll be first one that fans turn against. No manager is going to put up with that if they have better options elsewhere.

David James left Liverpool 20 years ago. I specified the 2009-2015 Pool in my post.

Rodgers fully deserved the boos he got at the end. He spunked the Suarez money on terrible signings and was beaten 6-1 by Stoke.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Holdini » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:19 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Holdini wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Holdini wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Holdini wrote:we can also look at napoli this season. 7th in the italian league with no win in their last 7 games :dontknow:

stats can be used to make whatever argument you want to make :dontknow:

Yes, they can. But I can guarantee you, nobody else linked with us has a more successful record in the Champs League, Premier League or other top leagues around Europe. Statistically, nobody else can compare and most of candidates we have been linked with have lost to Emery at some point if they have played his side.
Also, what is the sense in looking just at head to head games vs Emery when he won't be a Premier League coach? That's no way to asses a coach.

emery has a load of trophies to his name, what was it worth? sod all. pochettino has nothing to his name yet id take him in a heart beat. it's not about trophies and past achievements but more about what a manager can do. i don't doubt we'd improve under carlo, i mean it'd be pretty hard not to, but would it take us to a completely different level? im not convinced.

someone else posted a detailed assessment of nagelesmann, outlining his tactics, strategy & philosophy. i was impressed. i done some more research and have warmed to him. im willing to change my mind on carlo but you're not putting forth a convincing argument.

If you don't know about Carlo Ancelotti or the difference between a three time Champions league winner to a three time Europa League winner, I don't think there is much point in talking football with you. If you're looking for an argument from me to sway your opinion then something is really wrong here. His record speaks for itself and is more than qualified for the role.

in other words you can't.

you could have just said that at the beginning and we would have saved ourselves 3 hours of debate.

PnG :rose:
a once great poster on goonersweb but a shadow of his former self :rose:

:rolleyes: Finally seeing sense.

you've just pointed to posts where i say exactly the same thing you muppet :rofll:

'i don't doubt we'd improve under carlo, i mean it'd be pretty hard not to, but would it take us to a completely different level? im not convinced.'

today i said:

'i mean i think we can do better but he's not the worst.'

:rofll:
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Özim wrote:
Sims wrote:Ornstein rules out Ancelotti

Feel we could see a Poch raid

Worrying news, all the top candidates seem to be being ruled out, Rogers is out, Ancelotti is out, Simeone apparently isn't leave Athletico, Allegri we're not keen on apparently.

We're going to end up with a mickey mouse manager who isn't particularly qualified aren't we? The club just never learns it's lesson, this squad needs a big manager to come in, not only to convince our top players we're serious about achieving something, but also so that the players can be put in their place if they don't perform as well as picking the best team.

If we sign a nobody, Aubameyang will be off in the summer for sure, Lacazette will probably follow, who is left then?

That's the worry. They say they are waiting for the right candidate but it seems like we are interviewing absolute bums. We really don't have the time to take a risk or go for someone with zero experience or hiring someone just because they're former Arsenal. If I'm meant to believe that the players will react better to a manager that has 'Arsenal DNA' then why wouldn't they react to coach with winning credentials and a top reputation? It's looking like the con job is on. We'll see who they will appoint but I'll be pissed if they decide on a complete novice or nobody after all this time waiting.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Santi » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:25 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ancelotti's best is a Champions League title or League title. We need someone that can win the Europa League and push for a top 4 finish. He may not be at his best but he's still good enough to help us achieve that. Plus, someone with experience of beating Jose, Pep, Klopp and the rest of the Prem managers has to have some value. He may not be a long term appointment but over the next 2 years, he may help. I doubt he'll be screaming for the Board to spend billions so that could work in his favour.

He won't be good for us unless we get the Milan Ancelotti, or the Chelsea one.

Players walked all over him at Bayern. He was never a great tactician. He is a lax coach who believes in players finding their way. And, unlike Wenger, Ancelotti was never famed for his philosophy or understanding of the game.

Benitez would be a much better option than Ancelotti. Benitez revolutionized the 4-2-3-1 in Spain that has since become a major formation. Plus, he's an overachiever, a disciplinarian, and a tactician who doesn't have to spend money to achieve success.

I feel our players would walk all over Ancelotti. If Unai was rigid and lost players' faith on him, Ancelotti would receive a grandfatherly treatment where nobody would listen to what he has to say. That'd have worked if we had Vieira or Adams as our caption, but this unit will go into vacation mode under him.

He failed to win the League at Real. He only won 1 League title with that epic Milan side. He's always had world class players wherever he's gone, except for arguably Napoli.

I'd have taken Ancelotti 18 months ago over Unai. Even today, I'd take him over the mediocre junk we're linked to. But if we're going for experience, Benitez is our man.

I still don't understand why we're not doing everything to get Pochettino or even Allegri. Apparently, Allegri wants the ManU job because it's a managerial position over the head coach role at Arsenal. Surely though; if we're going to compete with the best, we have to hire the best? :dontknow:

Unless Poch rejects us, what is stopping us from getting him?

The upside of appointing Ancelotti is that he's an attack-minded Italian manager, whose soul isn't Italian but nationality is. And, Italian managers are most successful in the Premier League.

The point highlighted is what's key for me. We're being linked with Arteta, Vieira, Paulo Sousa and Marcelino.

I don't think we'll get Allegri because he's saying he wants to wait until the summer and we'd have already snapped him. But he'd be my first choice.

Poch is unlikely because of his Spurs ties. It would be funny if this were to happen, but I don't see it happening. He's been impressive with Spurs, but at the end of the day they won nothing. But I'd still support a move for him if reports said today we were interviewing him.

Rafa...I wouldn't mind but why over Ancelotti? He tinkers a lot a more and has a much colder personality which might not work in a time where we're low on confidence and need to bring the players together. That's probably my main concern with Rafa. His stock is quite low as well because he's now in China and before that he was with Newcastle.

Does Rafa have a much colder personality though? For me Ancelotti is a boring old git while Rafa has been loved by the fans everywhere he’s been and even has a lot of fans outside of those clubs.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Holdini » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:35 pm

Özim wrote:For me my top choices would be Simeone and Allegri with Rogers, Ancelotti and Benitez next (i'd have taken Mourinho if Spurs hadn't just snapped him up).

The likes of Arteta, Marcelinho and Sousa, no thanks.

We're being pretty slow at appointing a manager has to be said, some might say it's to make sure we appoint the right guy, but if we're interviewing the likes of Arteta, Kovac, Sousa etc it clearly isn't, if we are it's because we don't have a clue.

I hope someone else appoints Arteta so that when he flops we'll never get linked with him ever again.

allegri is ideal.

our players are scared on the ball and allegri is like a warrior, he'd instil some steel in us. under an attacking manager id see us carry on being flakey.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:04 pm

Santi wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ancelotti's best is a Champions League title or League title. We need someone that can win the Europa League and push for a top 4 finish. He may not be at his best but he's still good enough to help us achieve that. Plus, someone with experience of beating Jose, Pep, Klopp and the rest of the Prem managers has to have some value. He may not be a long term appointment but over the next 2 years, he may help. I doubt he'll be screaming for the Board to spend billions so that could work in his favour.

He won't be good for us unless we get the Milan Ancelotti, or the Chelsea one.

Players walked all over him at Bayern. He was never a great tactician. He is a lax coach who believes in players finding their way. And, unlike Wenger, Ancelotti was never famed for his philosophy or understanding of the game.

Benitez would be a much better option than Ancelotti. Benitez revolutionized the 4-2-3-1 in Spain that has since become a major formation. Plus, he's an overachiever, a disciplinarian, and a tactician who doesn't have to spend money to achieve success.

I feel our players would walk all over Ancelotti. If Unai was rigid and lost players' faith on him, Ancelotti would receive a grandfatherly treatment where nobody would listen to what he has to say. That'd have worked if we had Vieira or Adams as our caption, but this unit will go into vacation mode under him.

He failed to win the League at Real. He only won 1 League title with that epic Milan side. He's always had world class players wherever he's gone, except for arguably Napoli.

I'd have taken Ancelotti 18 months ago over Unai. Even today, I'd take him over the mediocre junk we're linked to. But if we're going for experience, Benitez is our man.

I still don't understand why we're not doing everything to get Pochettino or even Allegri. Apparently, Allegri wants the ManU job because it's a managerial position over the head coach role at Arsenal. Surely though; if we're going to compete with the best, we have to hire the best? :dontknow:

Unless Poch rejects us, what is stopping us from getting him?

The upside of appointing Ancelotti is that he's an attack-minded Italian manager, whose soul isn't Italian but nationality is. And, Italian managers are most successful in the Premier League.

The point highlighted is what's key for me. We're being linked with Arteta, Vieira, Paulo Sousa and Marcelino.

I don't think we'll get Allegri because he's saying he wants to wait until the summer and we'd have already snapped him. But he'd be my first choice.

Poch is unlikely because of his Spurs ties. It would be funny if this were to happen, but I don't see it happening. He's been impressive with Spurs, but at the end of the day they won nothing. But I'd still support a move for him if reports said today we were interviewing him.

Rafa...I wouldn't mind but why over Ancelotti? He tinkers a lot a more and has a much colder personality which might not work in a time where we're low on confidence and need to bring the players together. That's probably my main concern with Rafa. His stock is quite low as well because he's now in China and before that he was with Newcastle.

Does Rafa have a much colder personality though? For me Ancelotti is a boring old git while Rafa has been loved by the fans everywhere he’s been and even has a lot of fans outside of those clubs.

Apparently. I remember some stories from his Liverpool days about him having a cold personality and some of the busts ups he'd have with players. Pennant was one of them. Always thought Inter appointing Rafa after Jose was a massive mistake

Worth Googling Rafa Benitez Cold. Best I could find.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.shield ... 9189%3famp

Gerrard and some others have said similar. But I guess if it works, it works. It's probably my only concern with Rafa because we've had enough problems under Emery with personality management.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby swipe right » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:07 am

Incoming... Vitor Perriera with the 3-5-2 high pressing possession style.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:29 am

Power n Glory wrote:Rafa...I wouldn't mind but why over Ancelotti? He tinkers a lot a more and has a much colder personality which might not work in a time where we're low on confidence and need to bring the players together. That's probably my main concern with Rafa. His stock is quite low as well because he's now in China and before that he was with Newcastle.

Because Ancelotti has only had success with the biggest clubs in their respective leagues who were able to buy whoever they wanted. Rafa has not, he has performed well at Valencia, turned Liverpool into real title contenders and performed near miracles at relegation threatened Newcastle over and over with no money.

Rafa has the battling qualities we need here at Arsenal, thats why I would take Rafa any day over the likes of Ancelotti.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:34 am

elkanofan wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Business has just picked up. Strong rumor today was Gattuso to replace Ancelotti and it looks like its happening. Wouldn't surprise me to see him here at Arsenal and incharge by the Everton game.

I have a little bit more hope now if we get him, hope we can still win the Europa.

What has Ancelotti done to make you think he would do well at Arsenal ? Winning CLs with Real Madrid and AC Milan ? Winning leagues with AC Milan, PSG, Bayern and Chelsea ?

Who COULDN'T win titles at those clubs !! I don't rate Ancelotti at all, I have seen nothing from him or in the way his teams play to suggest he could do anything at Arsenal.
Would you rather Arteta how has never managed in his life? A rookie?

Or Paulo Sousa a shit journeyman manager who wasant good enough at QPR let aline anyone remotely relevant?

Or Marcelino who i wouldn't mind because his last two jobs he managed to grind and over achieve and rebuild Villarreal and Valencia despite the circus upstairs especially with Valenica?

Thing is this guy hasn't won anything bar the Cup last year and is essentially another Emery standard coach who nobody here seems to have time for?

I know Ancelotti is past it, however he has the experience to help us grind back out of this mess for a season or two, not continue to nosedive if we hire a rookie or a substandard coach.

We are beggars and we don't have the statue anymore to choose from the creme del la creme.

Over the names you listed I too would take Ancelotti, but that's not saying much.

No we are not beggars, we are one of the 10 biggest clubs in World football, Arsenal is a tier down from the likes of Real Madrid, Bayern, Barcelona, Liverpool, Man U and Juventus.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Nuggets » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:08 am

theHotHead wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Rafa...I wouldn't mind but why over Ancelotti? He tinkers a lot a more and has a much colder personality which might not work in a time where we're low on confidence and need to bring the players together. That's probably my main concern with Rafa. His stock is quite low as well because he's now in China and before that he was with Newcastle.

Because Ancelotti has only had success with the biggest clubs in their respective leagues who were able to buy whoever they wanted. Rafa has not, he has performed well at Valencia, turned Liverpool into real title contenders and performed near miracles at relegation threatened Newcastle over and over with no money.

Rafa has the battling qualities we need here at Arsenal, thats why I would take Rafa any day over the likes of Ancelotti.

:clap: so would I, its a pity he is in China.
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Holdini » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:11 am

VOTE LABOUR
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:18 am

theHotHead wrote:

At the moment, I'm looking for a coach that can get us top 4 football. I believe Rafa and Ancelotti could possibly do that. But I favour Ancelotti over Rafa for reasons already stated.

But the part Ancelotti only winning because of the top clubs he has managed, if true, you should take a closer look at Rafa's record. Inter Milan were the reigning champs in Serie A and Champions League winners. Rafa coached them as was sacked in 6 months. Despite having a title winning team, he was complaining publicly about needing new signings when results were going south.

He also managed Real Madrid. He followed on from Ancelotti and was sacked just after 6 months as well. He wasn't a popular figure around the camp and people were questioning his overly defensive approach which is another concern I have.

People tend to underestimate the skill it takes to manage characters and big personalities. Whoever comes in faces a tough situation. Taking a cold clinical approach may work but it could also backfire and that's partly why I think he hasn't lasted long at Inter, Chelsea and Real Madrid. Rafa has managed his fair share of big clubs but hasn't won a league title or CL with any of them. In fact, there aren't many manager out there with 3 CL titles. Besides the trophy haul, Ancelotti has slotted into various club set ups and tends to be a popular figure. From a club perspective, he's not the type that will demand players to win titles. He's able to work with what he has and try to get the best out of them.

Worth a read. The respect he earns around football is just another reason why I think the players may respond to him positively.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/26/foot ... index.html
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Nejch » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:55 am

Whoever we bring in, fact is we can only hope for top 4. To return to our old glory we need a complete club overhaul, starting with the owner.
Nejch
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby theHotHead » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:01 am

Power n Glory wrote:
theHotHead wrote:

At the moment, I'm looking for a coach that can get us top 4 football. I believe Rafa and Ancelotti could possibly do that. But I favour Ancelotti over Rafa for reasons already stated.

But the part Ancelotti only winning because of the top clubs he has managed, if true, you should take a closer look at Rafa's record. Inter Milan were the reigning champs in Serie A and Champions League winners. Rafa coached them as was sacked in 6 months. Despite having a title winning team, he was complaining publicly about needing new signings when results were going south.

He also managed Real Madrid. He followed on from Ancelotti and was sacked just after 6 months as well. He wasn't a popular figure around the camp and people were questioning his overly defensive approach which is another concern I have.

People tend to underestimate the skill it takes to manage characters and big personalities. Whoever comes in faces a tough situation. Taking a cold clinical approach may work but it could also backfire and that's partly why I think he hasn't lasted long at Inter, Chelsea and Real Madrid. Rafa has managed his fair share of big clubs but hasn't won a league title or CL with any of them. In fact, there aren't many manager out there with 3 CL titles. Besides the trophy haul, Ancelotti has slotted into various club set ups and tends to be a popular figure. From a club perspective, he's not the type that will demand players to win titles. He's able to work with what he has and try to get the best out of them.

Worth a read. The respect he earns around football is just another reason why I think the players may respond to him positively.

https://edition.cnn.com/2016/08/26/foot ... index.html

The section I highlighted is exactly why I don't think Ancelotti is good for us. The teams he came in and managed to trophies could all manage themselves, he didn't have to do anything at all !! I don't remember a team he went to that he turned into winners - who were not already winners. and its not like he did a Pep and turned an already top team into a record breaking team - Pep did that 3 times at 3 different clubs !!

You can criticise Rafa because he got sacked, but he knows how to win, he has won trophies at every club he has managed apart from Real Madrid - because the stint was too short. He even won a trophy at Newcastle - the Championship title winners. He rebuilt a Liverpool team in heavy decline and turned them into CL winners, in fact he got them to 2 CL finals, winning one of them.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk