Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who should replace Emery?

Brendan Rodgers
9%
Eddie Howe
5%
Freddie Ljungberg
4%
Massimiliano Allegri
12%
Mauricio Pochettino
32%
Mikel Arteta
13%
Rafael Benitez
9%
Other
16%

Total votes : 76

Re: Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Postby Angelito » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:22 am

Power n Glory wrote:Ancelotti's best is a Champions League title or League title. We need someone that can win the Europa League and push for a top 4 finish. He may not be at his best but he's still good enough to help us achieve that. Plus, someone with experience of beating Jose, Pep, Klopp and the rest of the Prem managers has to have some value. He may not be a long term appointment but over the next 2 years, he may help. I doubt he'll be screaming for the Board to spend billions so that could work in his favour.

He won't be good for us unless we get the Milan Ancelotti, or the Chelsea one.

Players walked all over him at Bayern. He was never a great tactician. He is a lax coach who believes in players finding their way. And, unlike Wenger, Ancelotti was never famed for his philosophy or understanding of the game.

Benitez would be a much better option than Ancelotti. Benitez revolutionized the 4-2-3-1 in Spain that has since become a major formation. Plus, he's an overachiever, a disciplinarian, and a tactician who doesn't have to spend money to achieve success.

I feel our players would walk all over Ancelotti. If Unai was rigid and lost players' faith on him, Ancelotti would receive a grandfatherly treatment where nobody would listen to what he has to say. That'd have worked if we had Vieira or Adams as our caption, but this unit will go into vacation mode under him.

He failed to win the League at Real. He only won 1 League title with that epic Milan side. He's always had world class players wherever he's gone, except for arguably Napoli.

I'd have taken Ancelotti 18 months ago over Unai. Even today, I'd take him over the mediocre junk we're linked to. But if we're going for experience, Benitez is our man.

I still don't understand why we're not doing everything to get Pochettino or even Allegri. Apparently, Allegri wants the ManU job because it's a managerial position over the head coach role at Arsenal. Surely though; if we're going to compete with the best, we have to hire the best? :dontknow:

Unless Poch rejects us, what is stopping us from getting him?

The upside of appointing Ancelotti is that he's an attack-minded Italian manager, whose soul isn't Italian but nationality is. And, Italian managers are most successful in the Premier League.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:27 am

Pls no ancelotti ffs

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:30 am

Santi wrote:
theHotHead wrote:
Santi wrote:
Holdini wrote:people now turning arteta into a prime xavi :rofll:

he was bang average.

If that’s what you take from that then you are spastic.

Arteta was good for us simple as that. If you compare to Cesc then he was average, if you compare to Xhaka then he basically is Xavi. Either way he was more than capable, reliable and a good player.

Santi, he was nothing more than average for us. slow but kept the ball moving. His Arsenal career is summed up by the phrase "meh".

Tbh I think his last season and probably the 3 final months of the one before have made people forget how good he was when he first came in. By the time he left he’d turned to shite because he had no legs but at the start I thought he was good.

thats probably a fair comment
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:36 am

elkanofan wrote:Business has just picked up. Strong rumor today was Gattuso to replace Ancelotti and it looks like its happening. Wouldn't surprise me to see him here at Arsenal and incharge by the Everton game.

I have a little bit more hope now if we get him, hope we can still win the Europa.

What has Ancelotti done to make you think he would do well at Arsenal ? Winning CLs with Real Madrid and AC Milan ? Winning leagues with AC Milan, PSG, Bayern and Chelsea ?

Who COULDN'T win titles at those clubs !! I don't rate Ancelotti at all, I have seen nothing from him or in the way his teams play to suggest he could do anything at Arsenal.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:38 am

Angelito wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:Ancelotti's best is a Champions League title or League title. We need someone that can win the Europa League and push for a top 4 finish. He may not be at his best but he's still good enough to help us achieve that. Plus, someone with experience of beating Jose, Pep, Klopp and the rest of the Prem managers has to have some value. He may not be a long term appointment but over the next 2 years, he may help. I doubt he'll be screaming for the Board to spend billions so that could work in his favour.

Players walked all over him at Bayern. He was never a great tactician. He is a lax coach who believes in players finding their way. And, unlike Wenger, Ancelotti was never famed for his philosophy or understanding of the game.

Benitez would be a much better option than Ancelotti. Benitez revolutionized the 4-2-3-1 in Spain that has since become a major formation. Plus, he's an overachiever, a disciplinarian, and a tactician who doesn't have to spend money to achieve success.

I feel our players would walk all over Ancelotti. If Unai was rigid and lost players' faith on him, Ancelotti would receive a grandfatherly treatment where nobody would listen to what he has to say. That'd have worked if we had Vieira or Adams as our caption, but this unit will go into vacation mode under him.

He failed to win the League at Real. He only won 1 League title with that epic Milan side. He's always had world class players wherever he's gone, except for arguably Napoli.

I'd have taken Ancelotti 18 months ago over Unai. Even today, I'd take him over the mediocre junk we're linked to. But if we're going for experience, Benitez is our man.

I still don't understand why we're not doing everything to get Pochettino or even Allegri. Apparently, Allegri wants the ManU job because it's a managerial position over the head coach role at Arsenal. Surely though; if we're going to compete with the best, we have to hire the best? :dontknow:

The upside of appointing Ancelotti is that he's an attack-minded Italian manager, whose soul isn't Italian but nationality is. And, Italian managers are most successful in the Premier League.

:clap: :clap:

Absolutely spot on.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Rockape » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:59 am

Trouble is.....whilst Ancelotti doesn't light my fire, no one else is either! Whoever gets the job has a massive uphill task ahead of them. There ain't gonna be no miracle worker with this group of players!
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:19 am

Angelito wrote:

The point highlighted is what's key for me. We're being linked with Arteta, Vieira, Paulo Sousa and Marcelino.

I don't think we'll get Allegri because he's saying he wants to wait until the summer and we'd have already snapped him. But he'd be my first choice.

Poch is unlikely because of his Spurs ties. It would be funny if this were to happen, but I don't see it happening. He's been impressive with Spurs, but at the end of the day they won nothing. But I'd still support a move for him if reports said today we were interviewing him.

Rafa...I wouldn't mind but why over Ancelotti? He tinkers a lot a more and has a much colder personality which might not work in a time where we're low on confidence and need to bring the players together. That's probably my main concern with Rafa. His stock is quite low as well because he's now in China and before that he was with Newcastle.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:23 am

Ancelotti won't get the time or patience necessary to rebuild. Yet I'd take him any day over a nobody like Arteta or someone who's never had to worry about European games like Howe.

We can't claim to want a full-fledged rethink of our team and playing philosophy while also baying for the sack if things aren't going well in 18 months. Progress isn't linear.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:21 am

I am amazed that a manager gets sacked cos he is pure sh1te then we are linked with him, if he could not do the job where he managed what makes people think he could do a better job with us. Baffling lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:35 am

Nuggets wrote:I am amazed that a manager gets sacked cos he is pure sh1te then we are linked with him, if he could not do the job where he managed what makes people think he could do a better job with us. Baffling lol

Yes. Baffling. Let's only look at managers that have never been sacked. Which rules out most candidates so that just leaves those that have never managed a club before. You might be on to something. :clap:
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:46 am

For me my top choices would be Simeone and Allegri with Rogers, Ancelotti and Benitez next (i'd have taken Mourinho if Spurs hadn't just snapped him up).

The likes of Arteta, Marcelinho and Sousa, no thanks.

We're being pretty slow at appointing a manager has to be said, some might say it's to make sure we appoint the right guy, but if we're interviewing the likes of Arteta, Kovac, Sousa etc it clearly isn't, if we are it's because we don't have a clue.

I hope someone else appoints Arteta so that when he flops we'll never get linked with him ever again.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby starmandb » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:38 pm

aniym wrote:
Holdini wrote:
Godlop wrote:What big manager wants to come to Arsenal now?

Going to Arsenal at the current situation is a career suicide.

liverpool managed to get klopp and they had a far far worse squad than us and were in a worse situation.

you can get the right man in if you sell the project well.

We aren't Liverpool. Their fans are dedicated beyond belief, even during the shit football years between Rafa's sacking and Klopp's arrival. They don't openly abuse their manager and players on match day like we do. Their players in the past often sucked but they tried damn hard to play for the shirt and justify fan support. The muppets we have are happy to hide behind the manager for their failings.

Most importantly, they give their managers time and money. Klopp in his first season ended 8th and lost an EL final. That would have been enough to sack him at Arsenal, where managers are given 18 months to fix the rot the predecessor left.

Lovely lazy generic bollox about those magnificent Scouse fans that any sports writer fills a column with when he is having a brain freeze idea wise
Doesn't take into account the stick David James got
Brendan Rogers got near the end of his tenure
And even klopp was getting as recently as 2 years ago
But keep up the narrative
It's easier than actually examining nuanced reasons why fans are f***ked off with the set up at a club that are selling themselves cheaply yet charging a fortune for the privilege
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Sims » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:17 pm

Ornstein rules out Ancelotti

Feel we could see a Poch raid
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby elkanofan » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:35 pm

theHotHead wrote:
elkanofan wrote:Business has just picked up. Strong rumor today was Gattuso to replace Ancelotti and it looks like its happening. Wouldn't surprise me to see him here at Arsenal and incharge by the Everton game.

I have a little bit more hope now if we get him, hope we can still win the Europa.

What has Ancelotti done to make you think he would do well at Arsenal ? Winning CLs with Real Madrid and AC Milan ? Winning leagues with AC Milan, PSG, Bayern and Chelsea ?

Who COULDN'T win titles at those clubs !! I don't rate Ancelotti at all, I have seen nothing from him or in the way his teams play to suggest he could do anything at Arsenal.
Would you rather Arteta how has never managed in his life? A rookie?

Or Paulo Sousa a shit journeyman manager who wasant good enough at QPR let aline anyone remotely relevant?

Or Marcelino who i wouldn't mind because his last two jobs he managed to grind and over achieve and rebuild Villarreal and Valencia despite the circus upstairs especially with Valenica?

Thing is this guy hasn't won anything bar the Cup last year and is essentially another Emery standard coach who nobody here seems to have time for?

I know Ancelotti is past it, however he has the experience to help us grind back out of this mess for a season or two, not continue to nosedive if we hire a rookie or a substandard coach.

We are beggars and we don't have the statue anymore to choose from the creme del la creme.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Salibatelli » Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:44 pm

Sims wrote:Ornstein rules out Ancelotti

Feel we could see a Poch raid

Worrying news, all the top candidates seem to be being ruled out, Rogers is out, Ancelotti is out, Simeone apparently isn't leave Athletico, Allegri we're not keen on apparently.

We're going to end up with a mickey mouse manager who isn't particularly qualified aren't we? The club just never learns it's lesson, this squad needs a big manager to come in, not only to convince our top players we're serious about achieving something, but also so that the players can be put in their place if they don't perform as well as picking the best team.

If we sign a nobody, Aubameyang will be off in the summer for sure, Lacazette will probably follow, who is left then?
Last edited by Salibatelli on Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk