Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who should replace Emery?

Brendan Rodgers
9%
Eddie Howe
5%
Freddie Ljungberg
4%
Massimiliano Allegri
12%
Mauricio Pochettino
32%
Mikel Arteta
13%
Rafael Benitez
9%
Other
16%

Total votes : 76

Re: Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:18 am

Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:
Sims wrote:Ornstein says Arteta is the top candidate

But Mauricio Pochettino, Patrick Vieira, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Martinez are still being mentioned

Pochettino
Arteta
Ancelotti*

In that order.

Martinez? :lol:

Vieira? No thanks.

* Napoli are having their worst start in 7 seasons (I think) in Serie A. Even at his peak, Ancelotti wasn't a great manager in the League. I'd still take him ahead of the ones we're being linked to (Marcelino, Vieira, and all), but he's not ideal.

and what makes Arteta a good manager, his pals Pep and Wenger saying he will be? The guy wasn't even a decent player for us, the captain that always when missing and barely had a voice and was part and parcel of the setup when the club was failing to achieve anything.

God help us if we appoint him.

if we were gonna appoint him we shouldve done it in the first place insetad of the bumbling buffoon, then moved him on if he looked like a failure

tim stillman wrote about arteta here:

and this is true of arteta during his stay here

I think Arteta represented a kind of cultural symbol during his time at Arsenal. He was a bit like a ‘difficult’ Radiohead album, you either got ‘it’ or you didn’t. His game was based on intelligence, movement, subtlety and technical accuracy. To others, he was just quite a nice midfielder who passed the ball quite nicely and had a nice haircut.

i dont see anyone in the middle, it's either one or the other
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Salibatelli » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Sims wrote:
Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:

But Mauricio Pochettino, Patrick Vieira, Carlo Ancelotti and Roberto Martinez are still being mentioned

Pochettino
Arteta
Ancelotti*

In that order.

Vieira? No thanks.

* Napoli are having their worst start in 7 seasons (I think) in Serie A. Even at his peak, Ancelotti wasn't a great manager in the League. I'd still take him ahead of the ones we're being linked to (Marcelino, Vieira, and all), but he's not ideal.

and what makes Arteta a good manager, his pals Pep and Wenger saying he will be? The guy wasn't even a decent player for us, the captain that always when missing and barely had a voice and was part and parcel of the setup when the club was failing to achieve anything.

if we were gonna appoint him we shouldve done it in the first place insetad of the bumbling buffoon, then moved him on if he looked like a failure

I think Arteta represented a kind of cultural symbol during his time at Arsenal. He was a bit like a ‘difficult’ Radiohead album, you either got ‘it’ or you didn’t. His game was based on intelligence, movement, subtlety and technical accuracy. To others, he was just quite a nice midfielder who passed the ball quite nicely and had a nice haircut.

Stillman is spot on, I don't get it either, but the fanbase definitely has an element of this, for years and years they believed in the Wenger smokescreen for example when it came to transfers, it's believing in the illusion that something great is happening because it once happened or someone else says it will.

I thought he was poor for us, at Everton he seemed much better, but Wenger played him in the wrong position and he was largely ineffective, I think most fans feel that way about him, a kinda nondescript player noone really remembers with any fondness because he never really did anything of note with us.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:48 pm

Özim wrote:
Sims wrote:
Özim wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Pochettino
Arteta
Ancelotti*

In that order.

Vieira? No thanks.

Stillman is spot on, I don't get it either, but the fanbase definitely has an element of this, for years and years they believed in the Wenger smokescreen for example when it came to transfers, it's believing in the illusion that something great is happening because it once happened or someone else says it will.

I thought he was poor for us, at Everton he seemed much better, but Wenger played him in the wrong position and he was largely ineffective, I think most fans feel that way about him, a kinda nondescript player noone really remembers with any fondness because he never really did anything of note with us.

i'm the opposite. i thought arteta was a great buy at the time and behind van persie was probably the most important player for us getting into the CL when the squad was dire, he stuck the midfield togeher like glue

his conversion to a DLP was pretty good too, definitely better than any of our current midfielders and had a nasty streak in him - overran in the big games which was just an arsenal fault in general tbh. i also know a large amount who rated arteta highly during his time here as well, as i said - it's split
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Holdini » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:12 pm

Angelito wrote:

Pochettino
Arteta
Ancelotti*

In that order.

Vieira? No thanks.

i read again today that ancelotti was laughed out of bayern because players were in disbelief at his basic training sessions. a warm up followed by 11 vs 11 every day. that is not what we need. we need a surgeon to sort this mess out.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 pm

the ballbag has spoken

im guessing its gonna be arteta
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:06 pm

Thank f**k for that, Rafa just ruled himself out of a premier league move in the near future.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:09 pm

Also Arteta was class til his legs went, he held our midfield together and his football iq was clearly high. He knew when to make tactical fouls, when to dive and roll around, how to cope under pressure etc. Not saying any of that makes him a good managerial candidate but until his final season he was a good buy for 10m.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby themessiah » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:11 pm

I’m I hearing Ancelotti he literally is on the brink of getting sacked
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Marsbar100 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Arteta was steady Eddie nothing more nothing less.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby themessiah » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Arteta summed us perfectly, , agility of a turtle. Involved in so many embarrassing defeats average player signed to replace a world class player
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:32 pm

Santi wrote:Also Arteta was class til his legs went, he held our midfield together and his football iq was clearly high. He knew when to make tactical fouls, when to dive and roll around, how to cope under pressure etc. Not saying any of that makes him a good managerial candidate but until his final season he was a good buy for 10m.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Holdini » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:46 pm

people now turning arteta into a prime xavi :rofll:

he was bang average.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Holdini wrote:people now turning arteta into a prime xavi :rofll:

he was bang average.

If that’s what you take from that then you are spastic.

Arteta was good for us simple as that. If you compare to Cesc then he was average, if you compare to Xhaka then he basically is Xavi. Either way he was more than capable, reliable and a good player.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Holdini » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:00 pm

Santi wrote:
Holdini wrote:people now turning arteta into a prime xavi :rofll:

he was bang average.

If that’s what you take from that then you are spastic.

Arteta was good for us simple as that. If you compare to Cesc then he was average, if you compare to Xhaka then he basically is Xavi. Either way he was more than capable, reliable and a good player.

you're the r*tard. sometimes i wonder what you sloppy sentimental bellends see :rofll:
Last edited by Holdini on Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:16 pm

Maybe you can see the part where I said it doesn’t make him a good managerial candidate :dontknow:
Santi
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk