Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Who should replace Emery?

Brendan Rodgers
9%
Eddie Howe
5%
Freddie Ljungberg
4%
Massimiliano Allegri
12%
Mauricio Pochettino
32%
Mikel Arteta
13%
Rafael Benitez
9%
Other
16%

Total votes : 76

Re: Next Arsenal Manager ~ General Discussion and Rumours

Postby Phil71 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:55 pm

Richard Keys says he met Rodgers in Qatar after he was sacked by Liverpool, and when asked what job he'd like next:

"I won’t go into detail, but during the journey back to his hotel, he left me with absolutely no doubt that Arsenal’s was the job he coveted, but he had to be careful how he got there."
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Rockape » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:23 pm

Phil71 wrote:Richard Keys says he met Rodgers in Qatar after he was sacked by Liverpool, and when asked what job he'd like next:

"I won’t go into detail, but during the journey back to his hotel, he left me with absolutely no doubt that Arsenal’s was the job he coveted, but he had to be careful how he got there."

He'll have come to his senses by now! We should have hired him instead of Emery....I never understood the animosity (to Rodgers) on GW back then.
Rockape
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jayramfootball » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:26 pm

Rockape wrote:
Phil71 wrote:Richard Keys says he met Rodgers in Qatar after he was sacked by Liverpool, and when asked what job he'd like next:

He'll have come to his senses by now! We should have hired him instead of Emery....I never understood the animosity (to Rodgers) on GW back then.

At the time we had more credibility and many saw Rodgers as sacked Liverpool manager... not exactly a star.
I think he'd be a good choice.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:48 pm

Rockape wrote:

Can you imagine the meltdown if Wenger (still able to get CL in 2015) was sacked, and we got Liverpool reject Rodgers, while they got Klopp?

For those who don't remember, Rodgers' last game of the 2014/15 season was a 6-1 loss to Stoke City. Meanwhile, Emery would beat Klopp 3-1 in the EL final in 2016.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby LMAO » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:08 pm

[gfycat][/gfycat]
Ach wrote:
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.

"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.

"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

He's staying

Sounds like the Leicester board told him to stfu.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:28 pm

LMAO wrote:[gfycat][/gfycat]
Ach wrote:
Leicester boss Brendan Rodgers: "I have a contract here until 2022. Thus far, I know managers are losing their jobs, the club have not indicated to me that they are going to sack me. I am very happy so would have no need to look elsewhere.

"Why would I want to leave Leicester City at this time? I am working with a group of players who have so much potential. I gave an honest answer about how all managers have some sort of clause in their contracts and suddenly that seems to have thrown a door wide open.

"For me I repeat, I am happy here. Very happy here. I feel I want to continue with that. Take from that what you want.”

He's staying

Sounds like the Leicester board told him to stfu.

He'd be an idiot to leave a team he's moulded and got 2nd in the Prem to come and get torn apart at this toxic club.

Sounds like he's gotten over it after a good think............ he got the Emery treatment at Liverpool, probably remembered how it felt and sent a love letter of commitment to the Leicester board.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 am

Arsenal's board want former Gunners captain Mikel Arteta, currently Pep Guardiola's assistant at Manchester City, to replace Unai Emery as manager. (Mirror)

Arsenal are ready to assess as many as 12 contenders for the managerial vacancy. (Mirror)

However, Arsenal will offer interim boss Freddie Ljungberg, 42, the job on a permanent basis if he instigates a sufficient turnaround in fortunes. (Evening Standard)

Sack the board

Must be the most piss poor 12 of all time. Ones named in the article I don't want. They didn't name all 12

Freddie over Arteta.

Former Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino has opened the door on an instant return to the Premier League, declaring himself ready to dive straight back into management. (Fox Sports, via Mirror)

I've got a really bad feeling about this. Please someone take him
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:35 am

Does Allegri speak good English ?
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Gooner_ESR10 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:48 am

We are spoilt for choice, so I really hope we dont go for an underwhelming manager, like we did when we hired Emery.
Gooner_ESR10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:53 am

The press have found themselves a goldmine of new stories to pull out of their arses. Usually they were restricted to weak transfer rumours. Now they can link us to pretty much any out of work manager plus a couple of working ones.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 am

aniym wrote:The press have found themselves a goldmine of new stories to pull out of their arses. Usually they were restricted to weak transfer rumours. Now they can link us to pretty much any out of work manager plus a couple of working ones.

Yeah I'm so done with the press.

Over the years some of these rags have literally just sat there and gone "Quiet day, lets just go with AFC in for XYZ and just run it for laughs and clicks".

No fkin integrity whatsoever.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 am

Gooner_LK6 wrote:We are spoilt for choice, so I really hope we dont go for an underwhelming manager, like we did when we hired Emery.

Pretty much all of them are underwhelming.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby DiamondGooner » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:22 am

Ach wrote:
Gooner_LK6 wrote:We are spoilt for choice, so I really hope we dont go for an underwhelming manager, like we did when we hired Emery.

Pretty much all of them are underwhelming.

They're not underwhelming, we're the ones who are underwhelming.

Wolves, Leciester etc are happy as pigs in sh*t, there's nothing underwhelming about their achievements this season.

The problem with us is the fans would only be happy with Klopp or Pep and we're not getting either.

Even Allegri is giving us the run around, we can't even pull a Brendan Rodgers anymore.

Managers are looking at us and saying "Yeah the brand is still good but my god, they're a mess and are in free fall, not sure I want any of that drama" no one wants the Emery treatment.

A part of me just hopes Freddie becomes the next Nagglesmann or Ten Hag because the one thing I'll say for him is his brand of football that he's saying he wants us to execute, which is like that exciting skillful attacking Euro style like an old Holland team is what suits the Arsenal way and the type of players we keep buying.

Allegri, Fat sam etc they would be basically be doing an Emery in a number of ways, pragmatic football, we'd need different players for that.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby BS221B » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:31 am

Good to see that DG has finally accepted the Arsenal way of playing aka possession based, flowing attacking football. We cant do with pragmatics like Emery or Allegri.

Ten Hag would be great if Poch goes to Bayern. I dont see anyone else getting him. It would be also great if Sarri gets sacked by Juve at end of the season, he is destined to do great at Arsenal.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby FARM » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:25 am

I'd love Rodgers here, he would get rid of all of these club blood sucking fleas and make our team proud and feel loved again.

I could see Rodgers going for a starting 11 like this, and getting the fans in love with the players again and a sense of IDENTITY

............................................................. Leno..................................................................

Maitland Niles....................Chambers........................Holding........................Tierney

Nelson..........................Burton....................................Willock ...................Smith-Rowe..

.....................................Aubameyang..........................Martin Nelly..................................

I could see Rodgers going for a 11 of that and him sticking with it, we would have passion again and the fans will be back in love.

Would also see Matt Macey being possibly preferred to Leno, it depends. Leno would need to prove a lot to him I feel.
Chickens, Turkeys, Pigs and Lambs, and more on my farm. Plenty of livestock to feed the masses. Come visit my farm, don't be a stranger.
FARM
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk