Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis and Statistics

Postby Goonerred » Tue May 25, 2021 10:51 am

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Reasons why keeping Aubameyang as first choice ST is a mistake:

1. We have Arteta in charge. His record shows to me that he tends to make poor decisions and does not know how to take advantage of opponents’ weaknesses. As long as Arteta and Aubameyang are here, Arteta will continue to play Aubameyang up top even if the game doesn’t call for it.

2. We don’t play a style that will bring out the best of Aubameyang. Backwards and sideways passing won’t work with Aubameyang up top. Lacazette is better suited to this style of play than Aubameyang is. We must change to a counter attacking style for Aubameyang playing the ST role to work but again we have Arteta in charge who isn’t flexible enough to see this.

3. Aubameyang is an awful captain IMO. Him keeping his spot in the first XI takes away the opportunity from someone who actually deserves to be captain. Again having Arteta in charge is a problem here. He clearly is someone who does not put much value in whoever is captain when he should. If we actually gave the captains armband to someone who deserves it, that player would see it as a license to actually call the shots on the pitch and would carry out the role much better than someone who was chosen by a manager who doesn’t truly understand what the captain’s armband means to a football club.

I can't help thinking that Artera has learned from the Wenger school of knocks. Wenger never revered the captain's role and seemed to give it to players to keep them at the club, they mostly left anyway.
Goonerred
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022
Predictions League 2021-22 Winner, Member of the Year 2022

Postby Ach » Tue May 25, 2021 11:13 am

Auba was fine as Captain when he single handedly kept us up and won us a trophy

Once he gets his form back, he'll be fine
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:39 am

Goonerred wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:Reasons why keeping Aubameyang as first choice ST is a mistake:

1. We have Arteta in charge. His record shows to me that he tends to make poor decisions and does not know how to take advantage of opponents’ weaknesses. As long as Arteta and Aubameyang are here, Arteta will continue to play Aubameyang up top even if the game doesn’t call for it.

2. We don’t play a style that will bring out the best of Aubameyang. Backwards and sideways passing won’t work with Aubameyang up top. Lacazette is better suited to this style of play than Aubameyang is. We must change to a counter attacking style for Aubameyang playing the ST role to work but again we have Arteta in charge who isn’t flexible enough to see this.

3. Aubameyang is an awful captain IMO. Him keeping his spot in the first XI takes away the opportunity from someone who actually deserves to be captain. Again having Arteta in charge is a problem here. He clearly is someone who does not put much value in whoever is captain when he should. If we actually gave the captains armband to someone who deserves it, that player would see it as a license to actually call the shots on the pitch and would carry out the role much better than someone who was chosen by a manager who doesn’t truly understand what the captain’s armband means to a football club.

I can't help thinking that Artera has learned from the Wenger school of knocks. Wenger never revered the captain's role and seemed to give it to players to keep them at the club, they mostly left anyway.

That was one thing I disliked about Wenger. He should have put more value on the captain’s role than he did
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Tue May 25, 2021 11:43 am

Ach wrote:Auba was fine as Captain when he single handedly kept us up and won us a trophy

Once he gets his form back, he'll be fine

Part of the problem is that I don’t think he will get his form back that is as long as Arteta doesn’t change his ways. Regardless of this I still think we have other options better than Aubameyang and I feel that it’s bad management that they’re being overlooked
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Angelito » Sun May 30, 2021 4:35 pm

Net spend of clubs since the summer of 16/17.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun May 30, 2021 9:40 pm

I'd do away with having a CF, I'd have two forwards, a LF & RF who run at defenders and have good shooting ability.

With this we can go more defensive on the WB's and use Cedric or Tierney or go offensive with Wingers like in the below depending on who we're playing.

A 4-4-2 could be interesting however I think you give away too much possession with that formation and we don't need to be so defend / counter as that, I think the 3-4-1-2 is a better half way house.

Having an in form Pepe and Auba and LF / RF could be frightening to defences, Auba plays better off to the Left as well but this way he doesn't have to do all that tracking back as a winger.

Obviously we could replace Elneny if we buy a better CM.

DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Sun May 30, 2021 10:10 pm

Martinelli - Auba - Saka
Tierney - ESR - Partey - AMN
Gabriel - Saliba - Mavrapanos
Leno
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 31, 2021 9:53 am

Angelito, what that table shows us is that we have been spending money, we all knew that anyway, although some are obsessed with wanting us to turn into Citeh or Chelski. No thanks.

How about the fuckwits being paid good money to run/manage the club do their f***ing jobs properly !!!!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon May 31, 2021 11:26 am

DiamondGooner wrote:I'd do away with having a CF, I'd have two forwards, a LF & RF who run at defenders and have good shooting ability.

With this we can go more defensive on the WB's and use Cedric or Tierney or go offensive with Wingers like in the below depending on who we're playing.

A 4-4-2 could be interesting however I think you give away too much possession with that formation and we don't need to be so defend / counter as that, I think the 3-4-1-2 is a better half way house.

Having an in form Pepe and Auba and LF / RF could be frightening to defences, Auba plays better off to the Left as well but this way he doesn't have to do all that tracking back as a winger.

Obviously we could replace Elneny if we buy a better CM.

I really like that formation because it suits our forwards if Laca goes:

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Mon May 31, 2021 4:44 pm

That team does not have enough goals in them imo.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon May 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Dejan wrote:That team does not have enough goals in them imo.

Auba and Pepe coming in on their favourite shooting foot with Martinelli and Saka backing them up on the wings, ESR in the hole .............

Over what we have now with Auba not being good at CF and Laca getting fk all service, dude there is plenty of goals in my formation.

If your on about PG's version I believe he was showing the more defensive version with the WB's being fullbacks instead of Wingers like what I had.

You can play both versions depends on what you need, more offense or more defense.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Mon May 31, 2021 6:14 pm

theHotHead wrote:Angelito, what that table shows us is that we have been spending money, we all knew that anyway, although some are obsessed with wanting us to turn into Citeh or Chelski. No thanks.

How about the fuckwits being paid good money to run/manage the club do their f***ing jobs properly !!!!!

Yeah, spending hasn't been an issue. As I've mentioned before, we've acquired nearly 20 players since Wenger, and we've been worse.

The issue is the staff we have at footballing level, especially the top-level staffs. Arsenal have been in a state of transition ever since the summer of 2016. Gazidis wanted to introduce a European model of DoF and Head Coach while Wenger was around. After Wenger, we did achieve that. Only, we ended up hiring a corrupt marketing guy from Barca as our DoF. Gazidis soon left for obvious reasons, and Mislintat was phased out.

Emery, in his first season, could have been a relative success but he really did show how the Arsenal job was too big for him. Instead of starting fresh, he brought in the PSG hangover and initiated the feud with Ozil. He was dumb not to realize that Arsenal honchos would toss him away as soon as the pressure would pile on them.

Then, we hired Pep-lite and before him, we hired f'kin Edu.

Arteta is neither a club legend, nor has he shown enough prowess to warrant another season at a big club like Arsenal. Zidane came out and wrote against Florentino Perez and Real Madrid. Conte ditched Juve, and later Inter, when they didn't agree. These are club legends. Both managers are available. Italian managers have ruled the Prem. We're already all too familiar with French legends at Arsenal.

Why is it that we're not after those two? Zidane talked about Real's lack of desire for a project. Hello? That's what we speak about at Arsenal all the time. Conte is the master of rebuilding sides. That's what we need.

We've spent £250m since Wenger left, yet only three players are regulars at the club: Leno, Thomas, and Tierney. Gabriel, if you want to put him in. But Arteta's experimented with Mari all the same.

It's insane that you have Conte and Zidane in the market, yet we're persisting with Arteta. I don't even think highly of Zidane like other folks, but Jesus Christ, this is not only a Real Madrid legend but also a winner through and through.

The heck?
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ag6789 » Mon May 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Don't think either Conte or Zidane will come to Arsenal as they would have other glittering suitors waiting for them. Nor, would they consider us as a lucrative proposition given our reputation in the market as a conservative club.
These guys will ask for massive budgets for wholesale rebuilding which I doubt the owners can cough up. After all even when the Kroenkes are criticized left and right , they do operate in a legimately ethical world and are not from shady worlds like the foreign oligarchs w/dark cash to burn.
Then, last but not the least these are prima Donnas and they're for themselves wholly and will never will be for Arsenal. They'll walk as soon as things won't go their way or they've more attractive propositions.
I would rather prefer people like Rodgers or Bielsa if MA needs to be replaced. They've shown how to work successfully w/ limited budget in relatively modest settings.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Salibatelli » Mon May 31, 2021 7:44 pm

As they say if you don’t try you don’t get, we won’t try though.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby theHotHead » Mon May 31, 2021 10:08 pm

4-1-2-3 should work just fine, Arteta has used dismal tactics and personnel in the wrong places.

The "1" needs to be a dedicated holding midfielder, the "2" need to be able to provide support for defence and attack. Ideally suited to box to box midfielders it should also work with an AM and a box to boxer. The box to box midfielder should be prepared to track back and help the holding midfielder.

If you play Xhaka in a 4-1-2-3 you are screwed because he can't defend, he has no engine to be box to box and he can't attack. Partey needs to be unleashed to play his game and not have to babysit others. We need to put more focus on moving the ball forward quicker, so we don't have to commit 8 outfield players forward to try to break down 2 banks of 4.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk