Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis, and Statistics

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:03 pm

jayramfootball wrote:Here is the core of the team that will potentially be winners of a title in the future..

Ramsdale
White
Gabriel
Tierney
Saka
ESR
Tomiyasu
Tavares
Odegaard
Martinelli
Lokonga

Everyone else, including Partey by the way , have little to no role in Arsenal's next title-winning side.

"Potentially be winners of a title"

Are you having a fkin laugh?

See this is your problem, you are high as a kite on agenda so you can't see the woods for the trees and it makes you come out with ridiculous shite like that.

Go through City, Utd and Chelsea's first 11 teams and tell me the team you listed will beat all of them to a title??

In what fantasy land is that going to be?

We'd be extremely lucky if that team could even secure us top 4 imo, there's a lot of Brighton's, Brentfords, Aston Villa's etc on the way to the top 4, you know those teams who you think are so hard to get a result from.

This is the reality of that team.

Ramsdale - Decent
White - Decent but no VVD
Gabriel - Potential World class, could end up on a level similar to VVD
Tierney - He's already beginning to show his limits
Saka - Over rated by AFC fans, has moments of brilliance but they are far and few between, may become more consistent with age but it could also go the reverse.
ESR - Good player, may become a bit better but he it won't be much more.
Tomiyasu - Solid RB, if he stays at this consistency he will be good
Tavares - Barely featured, that's not saying much seeing as Tierney has been off form.
Odegaard - I think he's at his limit now, not much more to come from him that what we're seeing already, decent player but he won't get to even Ozil's level.
Martinelli - When someone spots him let me know, a potential top level player derailed and sidelined by Arteta damaging his potential, he's not going to become WC from the bench.
Lokonga - Not going to be anywhere near as good as you think, you'll be lucky if he even manages to become first choice, I'm having doubts as to if he'll eclipse even Xhaka.

Your hope of some sort of spurt of leveling up for these guys is just not likely, you'll be lucky if one or two of them hit a peak anywhere near what we used to have like RVP, Sanchez, Cazorla, Ozil, Rosicky, Sagna and co.

Like Swipe already told you, this dream of "building for the future" is BS, granted we may get to a level back to 6th / 5th place again, maybe flirt with top 4 but that's it unless we bring in improvements to our first choice 11.

Defence is fine, midfield isn't good enough and neither is our attack.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:13 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:Here is the core of the team that will potentially be winners of a title in the future..

Ramsdale
White
Gabriel
Tierney
Saka
ESR
Tomiyasu
Tavares
Odegaard
Martinelli
Lokonga

Everyone else, including Partey by the way , have little to no role in Arsenal's next title-winning side.

"Potentially be winners of a title"

Are you having a fkin laugh?

See this is your problem, you are high as a kite on agenda so you can't see the woods for the trees and it makes you come out with ridiculous shite like that.

Go through City, Utd and Chelsea's first 11 teams and tell me the team you listed will beat all of them to a title??

In what fantasy land is that going to be?

We'd be extremely lucky if that team could even secure us top 4 imo, there's a lot of Brighton's, Brentfords, Aston Villa's etc on the way to the top 4, you know those teams who you think are so hard to get a result from.

This is the reality of that team.

Ramsdale - Decent
White - Decent but no VVD
Gabriel - Potential World class, could end up on a level similar to VVD
Tierney - He's already beginning to show his limits
Saka - Over rated by AFC fans, has moments of brilliance but they are far and few between, may become more consistent with age but it could also go the reverse.
ESR - Good player, may become a bit better but he it won't be much more.
Tomiyasu - Solid RB, if he stays at this consistency he will be good
Tavares - Barely featured, that's not saying much seeing as Tierney has been off form.
Odegaard - I think he's at his limit now, not much more to come from him that what we're seeing already, decent player but he won't get to even Ozil's level.
Martinelli - When someone spots him let me know, a potential top level player derailed and sidelined by Arteta damaging his potential, he's not going to become WC from the bench.
Lokonga - Not going to be anywhere near as good as you think, you'll be lucky if he even manages to become first choice, I'm having doubts as to if he'll eclipse even Xhaka.

Your hope of some sort of spurt of leveling up for these guys is just not likely, you'll be lucky if one or two of them hit a peak anywhere near what we used to have like RVP, Sanchez, Cazorla, Ozil, Rosicky, Sagna and co.

Like Swipe already told you, this dream of "building for the future" is BS, granted we may get to a level back to 6th / 5th place again, maybe flirt with top 4 but that's it unless we bring in improvements to our first choice 11.

Defence is fine, midfield isn't good enough and neither is our attack.

Your view on whether the strategy is correct is entirely irrelevant DG
It is what it is.

The players I have listed ARE the ones that we have decided as a club will be the ones that will get us back to being title challengers - with any others we add over the coming years.

These are just facts - I am not saying they will, although I rate a lot of those players very highly in terms of potential (some even now, not for the future). So I have a lot more faith in them than you.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:16 pm

Yes but my issue is that you said they're potential title winners.

Again, are you having a fkin laugh?

Its City, Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea up there, not your feared Brighton and Brentford's, if you think those teams are too difficult for us to beat how are we going to get past the top 4?

Its a perfectly reasonable assumption based on your own assessment of what level we are.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:17 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:Yes but my issue is that you said they're potential title winners.

Again, are you having a fkin laugh?

Its City, Liverpool, Utd and Chelsea up there, not your feared Brighton and Brentford's, if you think those teams are too difficult for us to beat how are we going to get past the top 4?

Its a perfectly reasonable assumption based on your own assessment of what level we are.

Read up the thread a bit in terms of what that post is in response to.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 am

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Ach » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:34 am

CB or another defensive minded player incoming
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby swipe right » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:34 am

Said it before, will say it again. You cannot play Partey and Lokonga together. We need a player next to Partey that can pass out the back otherwise we are too predictable in bringing the ball out. Lokonga can developed as a successor to Partey, rather than a partner to Partey. In the near term we must try other options like Odegard deeper or even giving Patino a debuted.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby LMAO » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 am

LMAO wrote:Arteta still needs to get the rest of the balance right. I'm not a huge fan of a midfield three of Thomas, Odegaard, and ESR—not enough protection for Thomas, would rather a 6 in there to allow Thomas to play to his strengths. He still needs to figure out what to do with Auba, Pepe, Saka, Odegaard, and ESR. Drop one of the latter four for a 6 or an 8.

ffs I can't even criticize Arteta for playing that midfield three when Palace didn't score until after Saka had gone off.

Partey and Lokonga both tried their best Xhaka impressions, and Gabriel and White didn't exactly cover for them. Massive two points dropped.

The club needs to get an actual 6 in January—not a 6/8 hybrid—a 6.
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:48 am

swipe right wrote:Said it before, will say it again. You cannot play Partey and Lokonga together. We need a player next to Partey that can pass out the back otherwise we are too predictable in bringing the ball out. Lokonga can developed as a successor to Partey, rather than a partner to Partey. In the near term we must try other options like Odegard deeper or even giving Patino a debuted.

Both Partey and Lokonga made mistakes on the ball, dwelling too long, but in reality they were not Guendouzi or Xhaka levels of dwelling, we have to credit Palace for the speed at which they shut us down!!

Its a partnership that needs time to develop, so one knows what to do when the other has the ball, because at the moment they are playing the same game. When you have 2 box to box CMs you need to communicate a lot and learn when to go and when to sit, you also need to know when to stay close.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:53 am

LMAO wrote:
LMAO wrote:Arteta still needs to get the rest of the balance right. I'm not a huge fan of a midfield three of Thomas, Odegaard, and ESR—not enough protection for Thomas, would rather a 6 in there to allow Thomas to play to his strengths. He still needs to figure out what to do with Auba, Pepe, Saka, Odegaard, and ESR. Drop one of the latter four for a 6 or an 8.

ffs I can't even criticize Arteta for playing that midfield three when Palace didn't score until after Saka had gone off.

Partey and Lokonga both tried their best Xhaka impressions, and Gabriel and White didn't exactly cover for them. Massive two points dropped.

The club needs to get an actual 6 in January—not a 6/8 hybrid—a 6.

We didn't create anywhere near enough, Odegaard and ESR were largely ineffective. That's down to the system. Then you have 2 box to box midfielders not playing in tandem. That said, before Saka went off, Partey was over exposed, it was only the shitness of Benteke that kept them off the scoresheet in the first half
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:42 am

We’ve changed a huge number of players and still we look no better, we struggle to create, most players don’t look particularly good and we’re getting outplayed week in week out.

I think it should be clear to everyone it’s the system by now, 24 points available and we’ve dropped 13 so far, absolutely dreadful.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby Power n Glory » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:52 am

Our passage of play was seeing Lacazette and Aubameyang link up. Lacazette was very close to scoring when Auba threaded that pass behind their defenders. We need a two man striker formation. It hasn't been a good start to the season for Odegaard or Saka. One or both should make way.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:13 am

Power n Glory wrote:Our passage of play was seeing Lacazette and Aubameyang link up. Lacazette was very close to scoring when Auba threaded that pass behind their defenders. We need a two man striker formation. It hasn't been a good start to the season for Odegaard or Saka. One or both should make way.

Too simplistic.
2 upfront will work in some situations, not in others.
Last night Palace decided to hold on to the 2-1 lead... that gave us an opportunity.
Against Spurs, we didn't need two upfront.
The game situation demanded that we put 2 up last night and it was a good decision by Arteta to bring on Laca and also leave Auba on.
Good reading of the game and tactically astute.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:11 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby ag6789 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:39 pm

Great news. Future looks bright.