Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis, and Statistics

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:39 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:For those in possession of a balanced and reasonable approach, understanding and appreciation of tactics, formations and unbiased post performance analysis, last night was vindication of our manager having acknowledged beyond the training pitch good purpose and benefit in exchanging renowned ball retention and developed build up play, for the alternative tool of attack with pace and fluidity.

Whether selection was to incorporate Nketiah, Martinelli or Pepe as the tip of the spearhead, the ability to constantly run directly towards goal quickly and decisively is what was paramount in making this and the other adjustments to midfield and defence also worthwhile.

That the correct answer to the question being asked of us regards our standing in the league could've undoubtedly been answered positively at the first attempt and would obviously have been preferred, but in it taking us a couple more tries at solving the equation, it shouldn't see us being assessed and labelled as dunce, backward or incapable, when our condition shows greater evidence of actually being mildly autistic and bi-polar.

Were you 'bunburyist' on the old 606 forums? Your posts are so well written, you remind me of him/her.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:34 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:For those in possession of a balanced and reasonable approach, understanding and appreciation of tactics, formations and unbiased post performance analysis, last night was vindication of our manager having acknowledged beyond the training pitch good purpose and benefit in exchanging renowned ball retention and developed build up play, for the alternative tool of attack with pace and fluidity.

Whether selection was to incorporate Nketiah, Martinelli or Pepe as the tip of the spearhead, the ability to constantly run directly towards goal quickly and decisively is what was paramount in making this and the other adjustments to midfield and defence also worthwhile.

That the correct answer to the question being asked of us regards our standing in the league could've undoubtedly been answered positively at the first attempt and would obviously have been preferred, but in it taking us a couple more tries at solving the equation, it shouldn't see us being assessed and labelled as dunce, backward or incapable, when our condition shows greater evidence of actually being mildly autistic and bi-polar.

Were you 'bunburyist' on the old 606 forums? Your posts are so well written, you remind me of him/her.

No, that wasn't me I'm afraid, I did have a previous life as 'Theo3000' when I was on TeamTalk many moons ago but that's my only alias as such.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:41 pm

thebigbangtheo wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

No, that wasn't me I'm afraid, I did have a previous life as 'Theo3000' when I was on TeamTalk many moons ago but that's my only alias as such.
There are some really good writers out there, you should do an Arsenal blog.
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:56 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
thebigbangtheo wrote:
Arsenal Tone wrote:

There are some really good writers out there, you should do an Arsenal blog.

Well this'll give my missus a right giggle, as she's undoubtedly the brains of our outfit, me, I'm just glad I was not too daft as to have failed to recognise that fact. Thanks for the compliment though all the same.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Losmeister » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:06 pm

btw, i DID notice even in the MBM, the quick glancing at the stats... that we were conceding more possession and counteraqttacking as we did in the FA cup run...
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Power n Glory » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Time will tell whether our switch to a more counter attacking style was indeed the manager acknowledging the flaws in our usually slow, possession based style, or just a one off situation where we've adapted to this particular game or opponent. I've always thought we should lean into a more pacey, counter attacking style but we'll see if we adopt a similar approach for our remaining games. Ball retention will always be tougher against the top teams that are also used to hogging the ball so I'm leaning more on the side that we adapted to what we knew was coming.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:06 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:Image

Notice Eddie's minutes per goal :biggrin:

Also having just watched MOTD for the first time ages they put up a stat on his starts and goals.

6 goals in 13 starts in the Premier League from the ages of 18-22.

He's hardly played but when he does he scores at a good rate - even as a kid.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Arsenal Tone » Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:22 pm

jayramfootball wrote:

Notice Eddie's minutes per goal [emoji3]

Also having just watched MOTD for the first time ages they put up a stat on his starts and goals.

He's got nothing on Patino though ;)
Raya/Ramsdale
???/Jorginho
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Apr 22, 2022 3:00 pm

Arsenal Tone wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Notice Eddie's minutes per goal [emoji3]

He's got nothing on Patino though ;)

Put him up front ;)
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Zenith » Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:56 pm

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:07 pm

34 goals in the last 17 matches since the Everton game.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:28 pm

Not bad from Elneny and Xhakha ( slated him much but have shown maturity of late) as per the stats from Zenith.
Still would like to see a top CM in summer.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:25 pm

A bit too early to talk about major progress, but it's a step in the right direction. To quote AW: you go up by stairs, but come down by the lift. Let's see how we'll fare when Arteta has to manage European fixtures in-between Premier League matches.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:32 pm

Just on our goal scoring improvement.

2.0 goals per game since the Everton game.
1.2 goals per game before that.

That's a huge leap.

It's not that far behind City and Liverpool.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk