Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis, and Statistics

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:25 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Looks like we got our tactics and system spot on today. Apart from the 2 f***ing eejuts making stupid mistakes, I cannot fault the team's performance :clap:

Same as we have been doing for some time.
I think the players have built a good understanding of there roles, playing with each other and gaining confidence.
It's plain to see in the way we have been zipping the passes and moving off the ball.

............. some time? its only been the last 6 games JayRam, that was the uptick in performance where the offense has been fixed, before that we were struggling to impress.

Our attack has been off for well over a season.

We've played the same way for most of the 45 games we have played since Dec 2020.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby ag6789 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 pm

I think the confidence has been growing and there's more a feeling of togetherness in the squad.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:35 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
theHotHead wrote:Looks like we got our tactics and system spot on today. Apart from the 2 f***ing eejuts making stupid mistakes, I cannot fault the team's performance :clap:

I think the players have built a good understanding of there roles, playing with each other and gaining confidence.
It's plain to see in the way we have been zipping the passes and moving off the ball.

............. some time? its only been the last 6 games JayRam, that was the uptick in performance where the offense has been fixed, before that we were struggling to impress.

Around the same time Aubameyang was dropped :think: Quelle surprise.

Imagine the effect on this team when Xhaka gets dropped
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:39 pm

This was our best game since Leicester in 2018.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:42 pm

ag6789 wrote:I think the confidence has been growing and there's more a feeling of togetherness in the squad.

I agree.
It's really not a surprise that a young team of talented players, growing together, is going to get better.
There isn't some magical tactic that has changed things.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby swipe right » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Was a scary repeat of the Wenger years. Young team takes it to the opposition, crafty opposition and dodgy decisions by the refs, heartbreak at the end.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:47 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

We've played the same way for most of the 45 games we have played since Dec 2020.

That is complete and utter BS, bordering on trolling.

Backwards, side ways passing, no quick transitions into attack, couldn't play out from the back very well, no good focal point at CF with Auba chosen to play there and last but not least, we used to quit playing football and park the bus as soon as we scored a goal.

.......... so no JayRam, we've not played the same in the last 45 games and for you to suggest we have is an utterly embarrassing statement, really damages your percieved knowledge of football quite frankly.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:49 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

That is complete and utter BS, bordering on trolling.

Backwards, side ways passing, no quick transitions into attack, couldn't play out from the back very well, no good focal point at CF with Auba chosen to play there and last but not least, we used to quit playing football and park the bus as soon as we scored a goal.

.......... so no JayRam, we've not played the same in the last 45 games and for you to suggest we have is an utterly embarrassing statement, really damages your percieved knowledge of football quite frankly.

You are talking about confidence and playing personel, not tactics.
I simply do not believe anyone would be telling us to pass it sideways when there were dangerous forward options.
This is simply the team growing in confidence and learning about each others games and getting used to what Arteta wants from them.
If you think that one day the coaches said 'hey, I've got an idea, maybe we should pass it forwards' then I really don't know what to tell you.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:06 pm

Personnel has a direct effect on tactics due to the ability or limitations of the players you're fielding, in this case, don't put a LWF as a CF when you can clearly see its not effective, this was going on for months.

......... in any case we were not "playing this way" we had the same formation, yes, but I listed about 5 things we're doing better / differently now, which has actually resulted in a marked difference in how we're playing.

Most of it, down to an improved direction of play at the CAM position and the most notable, dropping Auba to play a CF in the lone CF role rather than a WF.

.......... you have to ask yourself, if that switch of round pegs in round holes approach has made such a difference in this systems functionality, why wasn't this at least tried out months ago?

Regardless our approach to the game, final balls, play, everything is better now.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:06 am

DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

I wasn't going to say anything lol.

He makes it sound like we have been playing like this for months, not just a handful of games
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:07 am

jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Again, this is the reason we cannot take you seriously Jay. I can't even be bothered to respond to such an obviously piss taking post :lol:
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:08 am

swipe right wrote:This was our best game since Leicester in 2018.

It was our best game since even before Wenger was sacked!!
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Sun Jan 02, 2022 9:13 am

theHotHead wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Again, this is the reason we cannot take you seriously Jay. I can't even be bothered to respond to such an obviously piss taking post :lol:

Playing well and playing different tactics are two different things.
We are playing pretty much the same way as we have been for over a year, tactically.
The reason we are playing better is because the players are improving their games.
Not that hard to understand.

Arteta has been working through a plan. some of us could see it. Others couldn’t.

You seem to want there to have been some major tactical genius that had flicked a switch. There hasn’t been.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby theHotHead » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:36 pm

Jay, we played fooking shit up until Auba was dropped, but we were winning games. Our football improved when Auba was dropped, we began to get good performances as well as results.

There is no way you can tell me we played good football. Even last season during our recovery the football wasn't great, it was ok in patches but again we got plenty of results
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby billie86 » Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:34 pm

theHotHead wrote:Jay, we played fooking shit up until Auba was dropped, but we were winning games. Our football improved when Auba was dropped, we began to get good performances as well as results.

There is no way you can tell me we played good football. Even last season during our recovery the football wasn't great, it was ok in patches but again we got plenty of results

I would say we have played well in patches earlier in the season, villa, leicester, spurs etc we saw glimpses of good play which wasn't always sustained through a full 90 minutes, we have defended better on the whole (after those first 3 games) hence why we have the joint most clean sheets in the league I believe. The main issue I could see was our transition between midfield and attack and also holding on to the ball and possession long enough to maintain or relieve pressure, we seem like we have remedied this now and have looked really good after the man UTD/Everton matches. I would say west ham, Leeds, Norwich, Sunderland and even yesterday against city we have played well, created chances and have looked comfortable in every match, when was the last time city looked so ordinary? And when was the last time city were limited to 1 shot on target from open play in a match?
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk