Formations, Tactics, Analysis, and Statistics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis and Statistics

Postby NovaGB » Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:15 am

Jedi wrote:

And Saliba is taller than all of them
NovaGB
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:47 am

Moondoggie wrote:Interesting look at the tactics Arteta is trying to implement.

Biggest load of nonsense I have ever read. It has so many holes in it I don’t even know where to start. Let’s give it a try with the two biggest flaws.

1. The primary point is about giving the club time to change the culture because the culture was rotten. Ok. Let’s go with this assumption. The rotten players were Ozil and Guendozi and they’ve been replaced by model professionals. Two questions here for the author. 1. Patience and time for how long? A year, two years, five years, ten years? What are we talking about? Because 18 months into Arteta’s reign it doesn’t seem to have progressed. 2. We got rid of the trouble makers but did we replace them with talent or just choirboys? I’m fine getting rid of Ozil but have we brought in anyone of that caliber to replace him? No.

2. Then there’s the new JDP system of guradiola that Arteta wants to adopt with zonal defense and five passing lanes. If this is the system then what does it say that we conceded 5 goals against the very proponent of the system? We also can’t seem to score a goal for love or money. Despite the five attacking lanes we’ve managed only a single goal from open play which was a deflected tap in and a well taken set piece.

These articles from Le Grove are nothing more than mental masturbation. The realities on the ground are very different.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Salibatelli » Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:01 am

Seriously I hear about this Arteta “plan” and I think it’s a load of absolute rubbish, he’s had 2 years and all we’ve seen is defeat after defeat and probably the most boring toothless football I’ve ever seen.

I’m not interested in this plan, it’s rubbish, the guy is one of the worst managers I’ve ever seen and I sincerely hope his tenure ends very soon so that we can look forward to something again.

I don’t like his football, I don’t like his management, I don’t like his lineups, I don’t like his subs, I don’t even like his cringey interviews but I especially don’t like the fact he’s turned us into such an average team who some fans praise for narrow wins against relegation candidates after a string of defeats where we were largely outclassed.

I see other big clubs and see how they progress and change things and then look at us and this painful process and this it’s actually embarrassing that we behave like that, I want to see some progress again, just like Liverpool saw with Klopp and no I don’t mean some statistical nonsense that tells us we came 3rd in the mythical league last season even though we broke all kind of records we don’t want to break and lost all the meaningful matches we played.

Aren’t these the same people that never wanted Wenger to leave as well and yet here they are claiming the culture was all wrong when he was in charge and some nobody has come in with this amazing plan to change it.

I’m frankly amazed there are fans who believe in this nonsense, well I am and I’m not, over the years there has been a lot of delusion amongst some fans, even when it’s not good enough they champion something as if it’s the best we can do and make sorry excuses.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:50 pm

The reality is, is that by having previously brought Xhaka back into the fray at every given opportunity regardless of circumstance and the efforts of the team in his absence to thus display an over reliance on him without undisputable justification, the NLD could now prove to be a significant watershed moment both for the manager and development of the team.

On too many an occasion in the past, Xhaka has appeared as though he were a talking bottle of Jack Daniels on a bar, to a twice failed recovering alcoholic that was Mikel Arteta.

This period of enforced absence for the Swiss has now coincided with our best run of results and degree of defensive credibility and stability that in recent seasons have been as common place as a solar eclipse. In line with the drinking analogy, this period of having had to abstain from Mr. Booze would be representative of what is often referred to by addicts as a moment of clarity.

Ironically, it would be very much in keeping with our incremental nature of the team's progression as opposed to the revolutionary style as heralded by Arsene Wenger's succession to the throne.

Whilst for me a reasonable argument could exist to include him in a 3 man midfield were he played somewhat forward of the engine room with specific instruction for offensive only passing, incisive one-two's and a shoot on sight policy within 40m of goal, it would only do so in the situation of the fixture instead being away to Chelsea or United, not at home to Tottenham where l absolutely expect Partey and Lokonga to form our engine room with Odegaard as the probe and creator-in-chief.

As such, Sunday becomes an acid test of some considerable magnitude regards Arteta and whether or not he possesses the compunction and humility to recognise his own mistakes, and have firstly the minerals and secondly the intelligence to rectify them.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby swipe right » Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:41 am

I liked the starting line up. They move the ball up the park well. Could also add more attacking verve with Pepe in place of Saka if needed. Or refresh ESR with Martinelli and Partey with Lokonga. Hope he sticks with this formation.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:33 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Tony Adams wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Leno
(Ramsdale/Runarsson)
Tomiyasu White Gabriel Tierney
(Cedric/Niles) (Saliba/Holding) (Mari/Dinos) (Tavares/Kolasinac)
Partey —- Xhaka
(Elneny/Chambers) --- (Lokonga/Azeez)
Saka ————— Odegaard ————— ESR?
(Pepe/Omari) ————— (Matteo/Torreira) ————— (Martinelli/Nelson)
Auba(c)
(Lacazette/Balogun)

Looks much better wrt the players we have available. A good manager could do a lot with this squad. Unfortunately, Arteta isn't someone most will call a good manager
The CM is the obvious weak area.

The position that should have been the number 1 priority heading into the window. Shows how bad the management is right now

Tony Adams wrote:4-2-3-1 adapting to a kind of 5-2-2-1?

That should be the plan, rotating with a 5-2-1-2 formation depending on the opposition.

But Arteta -___-

Bar Arteta's obsession with Xhaka, it looks like credit needs to be given where credit's due. Let's hope Arteta can keep showing us that he's capable of making many more good decisions and making them more consistently.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:38 pm

I think our style of play is more important than the formation, because under Arteta we tried umpteen different formations and have looked dead shit playing every single one. He changed our style of play vs Spurs and we looked very good.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby swipe right » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:12 pm

Arteta got it right against Spurs. A deep lying playmaker, partnered with a ball winner and three creative midfielders behind a center forward that runs off defenders shoulders. It helped that Spurs were a joke, but he can take credit for the structure. We moved the ball up the park with speed and purpose. He needs to stick to this set up.
swipe right
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ag6789 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:27 pm

Might not work against all teams. You need to be flexible. Besides others are also watching you so they'll adjust too.
ag6789
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:21 pm

I'm just happy we had something to cheer, its been a year of absolute freekin pain with Arteta.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby jayramfootball » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:32 pm

theHotHead wrote:I think our style of play is more important than the formation, because under Arteta we tried umpteen different formations and have looked dead shit playing every single one. He changed our style of play vs Spurs and we looked very good.

Results drive opinions, HH.
We created a LOT more dangerous situations AND defended better against Norwich - we just didn't execute well in the final third against Norwich and didn't get the break of the ball, whereas we did against Spurs.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Re: Tactics, Formations, Analysis, and Statistics

Postby theHotHead » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:45 pm

Jay you can't compare the disjointed and awful football played against Norwich to what we played against Spurs. We may have created more clear-cut chances vs Norwich but the overall football we played wasn't a patch on what we played against Spurs. Nobody came on the board praising our football against Norwich, nobody came away from that match feeling we played well.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:42 pm

Ramsdale
Tomiyasu-White-Gabriel-Tierney
Partey-Lokonga
Saka-Odegaard-Smith Rowe
Aubameyang

Can't see how anyone can argue with this XI :dontknow:
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:49 am

Is there any player that can play the game like Odergaard? He has a huge role in the team now. We have to change the way we attack if he's not playing. Yes, Smith Rowe can play as an AM, but their style is very different.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:45 am

Fran Solo wrote:Is there any player that can play the game like Odergaard? He has a huge role in the team now. We have to change the way we attack if he's not playing. Yes, Smith Rowe can play as an AM, but their style is very different.

Nope and in recent history the only player I can think of with a similar style of play is Ozil
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk