Why can't we sell players?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Why can't we sell players?

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:29 am

Other teams have no problem of selling their average squaddies or getting bids for them, yet we can't even attract bids for example...

United:
McNair 5M
Love 1M

Chelsea:
Djilobodji 8M

Liverpool:
Allen 13M
Canos 2.5M
Ibe 15M

Spurs:
Pritchard 9M

West Ham:
Tomkins 10M

Our squad is full of players that aren't good enough or players who Wenger doesn't rate so my question is why is we still holding onto them when they'll eventually leave for free, I'm not saying we could sell all of them but if we put them on the market I'm sure other clubs would be interested, the likes of Szczesny, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Chambers, Wilshere, Walcott, Akpom, Campbell, Chamberlain and Gnabry could all be moved on for decent fees if advertised but we end up sending them on pointless loans or they end up staying and playing to 5 or so games.
Last edited by KG3 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Re: Why can't we sell players?

Postby Pudpop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:30 am

Can't use ex players as an excuse to not sign new ones
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 am

Our squad is thin, we shouldn't be selling anyone until we have brought players in.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:40 am

afobe 1m
podolski 2m
wellington silva - peanuts
djourou - 2m
miquel 1.5m
eisfeld 1.2m
olsson - 800k

What are you talking about, we are fantastic at selling players!
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:53 am

Mesüt wrote:afobe 1m
podolski 2m
djourou - 2m
miquel 1.5m
eisfeld 1.2m
olsson - 800k

Can't tell if you're being you're being sarcastic or not but Podolski is a World Cup winner and proven goal scorer 2M is joke considering an unproven player like Ibe can go for 15M, Djourou is regular for his team and the captain 2M is a bargain for them, we actually made a loss on Silva as he cost 1.5-2.5M if I recall correctly, Esifeld was rated the same level as Gotze for Dortmund youth so 1.5M is a fair price, Miquel had BPL and champions league experience good price for a young player. Anyway my point is all these fees were more than reasonable on our parts we should be overpricing like our rivals, but I suppose the market has changes too.

But anyway all these transfers you've listed are old one from various season I'm talking about this year in particular.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:55 am

Tony_Adams wrote:Our squad is thin, we shouldn't be selling anyone until we have brought players in.

Fair enough but players like Jenksinon, Wilshere, Akpom and Gnabry could all be moved on they have far too many players ahead of them and would get 5 games at the most mainly as a sub too.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby TOP » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:56 am

Tony_Adams wrote:Our squad is thin, we shouldn't be selling anyone until we have brought players in.

we have too many wingers

guys like campbell, gnabry don't even make the bench with wilshere injured no point keeping them
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:06 pm

NNN wrote:
Mesüt wrote:afobe 1m
podolski 2m
djourou - 2m
miquel 1.5m
eisfeld 1.2m
olsson - 800k

Can't tell if you're being you're being sarcastic or not but Podolski is a World Cup winner and proven goal scorer 2M is joke considering an unproven player like Ibe can go for 15M, Djourou is regular for his team and the captain 2M is a bargain for them, we actually made a loss on Silva as he cost 1.5-2.5M if I recall correctly, Esifeld was rated the same level as Gotze for Dortmund youth so 1.5M is a fair price, Miquel had BPL and champions league experience good price for a young player. Anyway my point is all these fees were more than reasonable on our parts we should be overpricing like our rivals, but I suppose the market has changes too.

But anyway all these transfers you've listed are old one from various season I'm talking about this year in particular.

Was being sarcastic, we are fvcking shit at selling players and always have been unless City are buying. Even back to the days of Henry at 16m, what a joke.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby gooney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:22 pm

NNN wrote:Other teams have no problem of selling their average squaddies or getting bids for them, yet we can't even attract bids for example...

United:
McNair 5M
Love 1M

Chelsea:
Djilobodji 8M

Liverpool:
Allen 13M
Canos 2.5M
Ibe 15M

Spurs:
Pritchard 9M

West Ham:
Tomkins 10M

Our squad is full of players that aren't good enough or players who Wenger doesn't rate so my question is why is we still holding onto them when they'll eventually leave for free, I'm not saying we could sell all of them but if we put them on the market I'm sure other clubs would be interested, the likes of Szczesny, Debuchy, Jenkinson, Chambers, Wilshere, Walcott, Akpom, Campbell, Chamberlain and Gnabry could all be moved on for decent fees if advertised but we end up sending them on pointless loans or they end up staying and playing to 5 or so games.

those players are fairly good compared to our trash. Wenger rates and look for things a lot of clubs dont
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Angelito » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Theo, Wilshere, Ramsey, and Chamberlain are players that'd go for big money. Comparative of course. Wilshere's the only one in doubt owing to injuries.

In turn, we could buy a CF and someone like Mahrez with that money.

I wouldn't sell Ramsey though even if I don't rate him.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gooney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:29 pm

Angelito wrote:Theo, Wilshere, Ramsey, and Chamberlain are players that'd go for big money. Comparative of course. Wilshere's the only one in doubt owing to injuries.

In turn, we could buy a CF and someone like Mahrez with that money.

I wouldn't sell Ramsey though even if I don't rate him.

I would sell Ramsey. Big clubs sell good players all the time when they dont fit in. Ramsey doesnt fit in really despite being good player. In the end he is doing more harm than good. a manager like Mourinho sold Mata when eh was twice the chelsea player. Big managers sell good players all the time. Wenger is not in that level or close to it
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:45 pm

Debatable. Technically no player at Arsenal fits in except Ozil, who is the epitome of Wenger's ideology. We barely even have a system these days
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Santi » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Cazorla, Kos and Bellerin fit into his 'ideology'. They are perfect Wenger players. Giroud to an extent too.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Walcott is on 140k a week, 7.2m a year .... he won't take a pay cut so anyone buying him for 25m on a five year contract has to pay 36m in salary that's an outlay of 61m ..... compare that to Pritchard at Spurs, he was on 25k a week 1.25m a year, so buying him for 9m on a five year deal is a 15m outlay .... even if they could afford 61m, which is the better risk for a smaller club?

The same goes for all our 'failed' projects ... the only clubs willing to take on their salary don't want them ..... the clubs who want them don't want to pay the salary .... Man City were in the same position a few years back, they ended up selling players AND still paying 50% of their salaries just to get them out of the squad .....

Our Board would never spend the money to do that so we're stuck with them until their contracts run down when they are then worth feck all ... piss poor management leaving us with a squad of average, overpaid, unmotivated players .... you can see the results
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby BouncySean » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:05 pm

Why Campbell is still here baffles me, don't get me wrong I rate him but Wenger clearly doesn't he put a injured Wilshere on the bench over him surely we'd be better of selling him.
BouncySean
Charlie George
Charlie George

Next

Return to Arsenal Talk