Why can't we sell players?

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Why can't we sell players?

Postby gooney » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:09 pm

EliteKiller wrote:Walcott is on 140k a week, 7.2m a year .... he won't take a pay cut so anyone buying him for 25m on a five year contract has to pay 36m in salary that's an outlay of 61m ..... compare that to Pritchard at Spurs, he was on 25k a week 1.25m a year, so buying him for 9m on a five year deal is a 15m outlay .... even if they could afford 61m, which is the better risk for a smaller club?

The same goes for all our 'failed' projects ... the only clubs willing to take on their salary don't want them ..... the clubs who want them don't want to pay the salary .... Man City were in the same position a few years back, they ended up selling players AND still paying 50% of their salaries just to get them out of the squad .....

Our Board would never spend the money to do that so we're stuck with them until their contracts run down when they are then worth feck all ... piss poor management leaving us with a squad of average, overpaid, unmotivated players .... you can see the results

exactly the wages at arsenal makes it really hard for us to remove players
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Pudpop » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:24 pm

BouncySean wrote:Why Campbell is still here baffles me, don't get me wrong I rate him but Wenger clearly doesn't he put a injured Wilshere on the bench over him surely we'd be better of selling him.

Basically. He should have cashed in for 15m after the world cup and used that money plus the Welbeck money to sign Lacazette 2 seasons ago.

If not Lacazette then someone else but 31m would have found us a proper striker 2 years ago
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby BouncySean » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:27 pm

Pudpop wrote:
BouncySean wrote:Why Campbell is still here baffles me, don't get me wrong I rate him but Wenger clearly doesn't he put a injured Wilshere on the bench over him surely we'd be better of selling him.

Basically. He should have cashed in for 15m after the world cup and used that money plus the Welbeck money to sign Lacazette 2 seasons ago.

If not Lacazette then someone else but 31m would have found us a proper striker 2 years ago

I 100% agree!
BouncySean
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Big Poppa » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:18 pm

Thought it was obvious.

Every current player that was signed since Theo Walcott was signed by Arsene Wenger. They are players he scouted, and requested we invest in, with some sort of plan for them to play a part in the first team.

At other clubs, managers are dealing with players signed by previous managers who don't fit their profile, or philosophy. Wenger will only get rid of players who ask to leave due to lack of competition, anything else is an admission of failure on his part and he is as stubborn as they come.
Big Poppa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby KG3 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 pm

Big Poppa wrote:Thought it was obvious.

Every current player that was signed since Theo Walcott was signed by Arsene Wenger. They are players he scouted, and requested we invest in, with some sort of plan for them to play a part in the first team.

At other clubs, managers are dealing with players signed by previous managers who don't fit their profile, or philosophy. Wenger will only get rid of players who ask to leave due to lack of competition, anything else is an admission of failure on his part and he is as stubborn as they come.

Good point
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby maxgunner » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:24 pm

Why can't we sell players?

Probably because of the same reason Wenger doesn't leave the club, to prove he is right and that he made the right decision by signing and keeping those players.
maxgunner
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby LMAO » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 pm

Because we have shit players on high wages.

/thread
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Angelito » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:54 am

Mesüt wrote:Cazorla, Kos and Bellerin fit into his 'ideology'. They are perfect Wenger players. Giroud to an extent too.

Giroud? How? I'd say Ozil, Cazorla, Kosc, Bellerin, Monreal, and Wilshere fit closest to Wenger's ideology.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RowdyRoddyPoppins » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:25 am

Brandon wrote:Because we have shit players on high wages.

/thread
RowdyRoddyPoppins
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Santi » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:53 am

Angelito wrote:
Mesüt wrote:Cazorla, Kos and Bellerin fit into his 'ideology'. They are perfect Wenger players. Giroud to an extent too.

Giroud? How? I'd say Ozil, Cazorla, Kosc, Bellerin, Monreal, and Wilshere fit closest to Wenger's ideology.

Because he's a striker who brings the midfield into the game, perfect for a proper 4-3-3, decent at passing and the little flicks he tries. He's jut a bit slow, otherwise he'd be Wenger's ideal CF imo.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:14 pm

We could've raised 50 mil selling Theo, Ox and Campbell this summer. 50 mil that could've been added to the funds available for a top striker.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:45 pm

Ian wright made some good points today about moving people on
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:49 pm

Remove this thread by next summer.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby KG3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:11 pm

Ramsey 6M > Free

Cazorla 10M > Free

Emi Martinez >16M for one of the best GK in the league, yet Liverpool got 12M for ward who only had championship experience at the time.

Mustafi 35M > Free by the end of the season

Ozil 42M > Free and wages paid off

Alexis 35M > Free

Sokratis 18M > Free

Perez 17M > 4M

Wilshere academy > Free

Monreal 9M> 250K

Welbeck 16M > Free

Balogun Academy > Free, lets be honest he’s not staying and Liverpool got 25M for Brewster who had the same experience as Balogun at the time.

Mkhi Free > Free and one of Roma’s best players yet united got 13.5M for Smalling who’s the same age.

Just over 20M total for that list of players any other club would have managed around 100M or more, this summer just gone Bournemouth got that fee for Calum Wilson alone.

Within the next few years players like Willian, Kolasinac, Chambers, Maitland Niles and Nketiah will all leave for free/cheap due to contracts running down and is not being proactive.

This is all I could think of atm they’re more example but I’m sure you get my point, for a club that doesn’t have the kind of financial backing Chelsea/City have we not only overspend on players but when it comes to shifting them we don’t do a very good job of it.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Nuggets » Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:03 pm

Because they are sh1te. lol
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk