Shkodran Mustafi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Shkodran Mustafi (20)

Postby Zenith » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Going by Emery's latest quotes it looks like Mustafi's/Elneny's departures could be imminent.

Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zenith » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:57 pm

Charles Watts for goal.com

'They know the situation' - Emery urges Mustafi and Elneny to leave Arsenal

The Gunners boss wants the defender and midfielder to move on before the European transfer window closes on September 2

Unai Emery has told Shkodran Mustafi and Mohamed Elneny to leave Arsenal this month for the best of their careers.

Neither player has featured in the opening two games of the Premier League season, with Emery having already publicly admitted that he has told Mustafi he can go.

But the Spaniard has now also confirmed that Elneny is free to leave and has made it clear to both players that they would be better served finding a new club before the European transfer window shuts on September 2.

“We have some players, they know their situation,” said Emery.

“For example, Elneny and Mustafi know their position in the squad and really I want the players to be happy here, I want the players to be protagonists here.

“Last year with Mustafi and Mo, when they didn't play they weren't happy. I spoke with them a lot of times last year and this pre-season and I think it is positive for them to leave and sign for another team where they can be protagonists and be happy and continue their careers.”

After a promising start to life at Arsenal following his move from Basel in January 2016, Elneny has never been able to cement himself a spot in the first under either Arsene Wenger or Emery.

Last season he made 17 appearances in all competitions - but just eight of those came in the Premier League and only four were starts.

Mustafi, meanwhile, has been the subject of severe criticism during his three-year spell in north London having arrived from Valencia for £35 million ($43m) in 2016.

He was booed by supporters during this summer’s pre-season tour to the United States and also during the Emirates Cup last month when Arsenal took on Lyon.

Despite their struggles, however, Emery insists both are good players and they could go on and be a success elsewhere.

They are very big players,” said Arsenal’s head coach. “But for one circumstance or another, they are going to have less chances to show their capacity or to be happy with us and the minutes they play in matches.

“But they know the situation and really, really I am wishing the best for them and I think now the best for them is to be protagonists in another team and sign to get another challenge.

“We respect them, they are training with us, but they know their situation and only I am wishing the best for them.”
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:44 am

PROTAGONIST
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby VCC » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:39 am

Dont really care what they call them just get them gone, not up to life at the Arsenal
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby coach8smallball » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:57 am

why did it take so long? why didn't this happen in the summer TW? is it due to teams not wanting them or or inability to communicate to mustafi/elneny sooner than later
cheers!
--tank
coach8smallball
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:47 am

coach8smallball wrote:why did it take so long? why didn't this happen in the summer TW? is it due to teams not wanting them or or inability to communicate to mustafi/elneny sooner than later

You don't want to get rid of certain players if you don't get any in to replace them, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fenice » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:18 pm

StLGooner wrote:
coach8smallball wrote:why did it take so long? why didn't this happen in the summer TW? is it due to teams not wanting them or or inability to communicate to mustafi/elneny sooner than later

You don't want to get rid of certain players if you don't get any in to replace them, so I'm sure that had something to do with it.

Right. We picked up Luiz at the close. Had to be sure we’d get him before selling.
Fenice
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Losmeister » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:01 pm

you CAN LET THE DOOR hit you in the arse on the way out, fanx
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Nuggets » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:20 pm

Is he still here ?
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

Postby Santi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:49 pm

Fenice wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Right. We picked up Luiz at the close. Had to be sure we’d get him before selling.

Luiz was the kos replacement.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Highbury Hillbilly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:54 pm

Just about a week left for the European window to close. I dont think the club will accept less than £20m for him which is fair but ain't nobody in Europe paying that for what you get w Mustafi. I think he'll stay and be sold in Jan at a significant discount.
Highbury Hillbilly
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:18 pm

Santi wrote:
Fenice wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Chambers takes Mustafi’s spot

Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby StLGooner » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Sims wrote:
Santi wrote:
Fenice wrote:
StLGooner wrote:

Chambers takes Mustafi’s spot

We know, but the point was we didn't get rid of him earlier because we hadn't got anyone in yet, and weren't sure if we were going to. Now we know we could probably do without.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Angelito » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:30 pm

Reckon it's:

- Sokratis
- Luiz (Kosc replacement)
- Holding
- Chambers (Mustafi replacement)
- Mavropanos