Shkodran Mustafi

All football talk from anywhere except The UK. Includes Champions League, Europa Cup, transfer news and general World Football chat.

Re: Shkodran Mustafi (20)

Postby thebigbangtheo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:14 am

I found it ironic that the defensive tactical manoeuvre we made to address possible weaknesses, included Mustafi.

That none of our other centre backs are currently available, I obviously get that. However, it is that Emery has the tactical nous to consider and manipulate such significant changes to the team and defense in this particular instance that should be lauded, rather than the personnel used to carry it out.

Either of our 2 other central defenders in for Mustafi and the the back 3 is significantly improved as an effective unit, so good scope exists that future deployment will result in much better performances.

Fully fit and on form, my consideration for who have the best attributes to form our back 3 are Papa, Mavropanos and Koschielny. Holding is a little unfortunate in this respect, but his step up in performance says that he could easily replace any of them without the functionality of the unit being lost.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby theHotHead » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:07 am

I think when a manager makes a bold tactical move such as Emery made that results in a win, the tactical change must be acknowledged. To be honest we rode our luck but then again so did they.

I just love the fact the manager is not being myopic and seeks to a) take the opponents into account when formulating a game plan and b) is tactically aware and tactically flexible.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:57 pm

Arsenal boss Unai Emery is likely to seek a replacement for defender Shkodran Mustafi, according to the Metro.

The German has regularly produced erratic displays at the heart of defence for the Gunners, giving away a needless penalty against Crystal Palace as well as a stoppage-time free-kick in a dangerous position against Bournemouth.

Despite Arsenal's 17-game unbeaten run in all competitions, there have been just five clean sheets in that period, with just two coming in the Premier League.
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:36 am

Ach wrote:
Arsenal boss Unai Emery is likely to seek a replacement for defender Shkodran Mustafi, according to the Metro.

The German has regularly produced erratic displays at the heart of defence for the Gunners, giving away a needless penalty against Crystal Palace as well as a stoppage-time free-kick in a dangerous position against Bournemouth.

Despite Arsenal's 17-game unbeaten run in all competitions, there have been just five clean sheets in that period, with just two coming in the Premier League.

Given the comments I recollect from having previously posted on this thread, I have absolutely no doubt that the vast majority of posters upon reading this information will be saying 'YESSS' with genuine enthusiasm if not shouting it at the top of their voices.

Everything that warranted being said about Mustafi as a defender has already been said and unusually, or at least from what I remember, the majority of comments were balanced, objective and reasonable and not just a collection of Neanderthal like mutterings of 'he's shit', with no further explanation.

Emery's use of psychology appears to have been insufficient in helping to instill an improved level of concentration and game management into the German.

I assessed after our first 3 games that our coach might be employing the tactic of giving the players a fair chance to prove their worth, but that the chance would only be as long as enough rope to hang themselves with, metaphorically speaking. It would appear that Mustafi is now standing on the trap door.
Last edited by thebigbangtheo on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby LMAO » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:03 am

There is a god, and his name is Unai Emery :1990_dancing.gif:
LMAO
Member of the Year 2019
Member of the Year 2019

Postby Mike Dean » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:24 pm

Another solid performance.

Also, very good with aerial attack on corners and set pieces.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Pudpop » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Gets injured as soon as he's finding form in a position (RCB of a back 3) which makes up for his weaknesses smh
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Sims » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:26 pm

nice one schkodran u f***ing melt
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Ach » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:04 am

He can play RB cant he?

Remember him playing there for Germany. Never saw him at his previous club and cant remember if he's played there for us but worth a go
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Angelito » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:41 am

It's not if he can play there, which he can. Bellerín is our most potent attacking outlet. Watch us struggle again with him injured now.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Zenith » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:18 am

Pretty sure he once finished a game at RB for us not long after he joined.

Forgot against whom it was, though.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Santi » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:14 pm

Fine with him out at RB actually, his crossing is decent and he'll get forward enough, plus we have Kola bombing forward on one side, a bit of security on the other wouldn't be awful.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:04 am

I know this guy polarises opinion, but this is his 3rd year at the club now and he's shown no signs of improvement at all.

If Ornstein's report from our 2017 Summer window is true that he wanted to leave after the 1st season and Wenger wanted to sell him to Inter Milan, but blocked the deal at the last minute, then I don't know what was going through his head.

He should have just done it.

I honestly saw more potential in Gabriel Paulista than I've ever seen in Mustafi.

He's just too unreliable, clumsy, rash and has no spatial awareness at all.

I really hope we sell him in the Summer. Not good enough.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 am

It was a loan to Milan and we couldn't get another defender in so he didn't go.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:46 am

Santi wrote:It was a loan to Milan and we couldn't get another defender in so he didn't go.

And then kept him for 2 more years
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to World Football