2016-17 Squad analysis and Tactics

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

2016-17 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed May 25, 2016 7:15 pm

Looks like our midfield will have no further additions after Xhaka who is a beast like signing one which we needed desperately.

Wenger has said he is on the lookout for a Striker after Welbeck's knee surgery. Giroud can be a handy backup plan B option. We need someone more proven and consistent up front for a startling role.

Rosicky/Flamini/Arteta are finally put out of their misery.

Our back up goal keeper spot is still not settled. Ospina wants out and Szczesny does not want in going be his comments recently. So we may get a new goal keeper, albeit a cheapstake one.

We may get a CB and apart from that i don't see many changes.

Walcott's wages will not be matched by any and nobody will take a risk on Welbeck's knees. Chamberlain will likely spend one more season ''trying'' to prove his potential. Although out of the trio he looks a better option out wide.

Iwobi has come on nicely and deserves his chance this year to see if he can actually break in to the starting eleven on merit.

Our Full back positions are pretty much sorted with Jenkinson coming back from loan. Wenger has said he has a future at Arsenal but he is never going to be a starting material in my opinion. As a sub he can be handy.

-----------------New Striker--------------------

......Sanchez..................Ozil................Wilshere/Iwobi

.....................Xhaka...........Cazorla..................

Monreal............Kos.........New CB.........Bellerin

..................................Cech.................................

Now this is how i want to see us lining up at the start of the year IF Wilshere is fit. If he is not fit then Iwobi will most likely take his place on the right.

I want us to play with a collective defensive philosophy instead of pinning every defensive responsibility on a solitary defensive midfielder.

Wilshere playing as a right interior will allow him to support alongside Xhaka and Cazorla when we are under the pump.

Coquelin can be our go to DM when we want to play a tight formation away from home and Elneny as a backup to both Central midfield positions.

Chamberlain and Walcott have to start earning their bread for a change.

Ramsey needs to show he can compete with the likes of Cazorla/Xhaka for a Central midfield spot.

With four competitions and players returning from Euros we need a deep squad and having a fair bit of options in the midfield will be a big advantage.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: 2016-17 Squad analysis and Tactics

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Wed May 25, 2016 7:38 pm

A midfield of Xhaka and Cazorla will be too slow.

One of Ramsey/Wilshere will start centrally and the other on the right.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby cam-ozil » Wed May 25, 2016 8:57 pm

do a poll
10/04/2016 10:32 an

i think we still win the league.
cam-ozil
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby BS221B » Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 pm

What will happen to Coq?

my god our roster planning is god awful. Both Coq and Cazorla players that must play whenever they fit imo. then theres Xhaka so idk.
BS221B
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Sims » Wed May 25, 2016 9:04 pm

isaisdso wrote:What will happen to Coq?

my god our roster planning is god awful. Both Coq and Cazorla players that must play whenever they fit imo. then theres Xhaka so idk.

Coq will be Flamini & Elnenny will be Arteta

Coq will come in and play big games or tough games away from home as it's pointless having him on the pitch when we're playing shit teams, a waste of a spot in the team
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Gunpowder » Wed May 25, 2016 9:10 pm

Coq isn't a must play player.
Gunpowder
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ESR10 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:14 pm

I doubt too that Cazorla is the best choice to partner Xhaka in the midfield. We got overrun this season in many games with him starting. He is technically head and shoulders above the rest of our CMs, but his tackling, his pace and his strength aren't helping him.
I would choose Wilshere if fit. When not, it would be between Ramsey and Cazorla for me depending on the opponent. Against physical teams we could use Ramseys strength and energy more. Other times we could need Cazorlas technical skills. El Neny is the more balanced choice, he is energetic, his passing is good, but he doesn't offer anything special. He is very good with the basics. He could be also a choice for some games to gain control of the midfield.
For tough away games Coq would be my obvious choice.
ESR10
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner
Predictions League 2018-19 Winner

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed May 25, 2016 9:29 pm

I would say having many options in the middle of the park is a welcome headache.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Marsbar100 » Wed May 25, 2016 9:36 pm

Our midfield options are good, best in pl now. Could do with a good rw to fully consolidate that, very unlikely though.

At CB I can't see anything happening here, the way i suspect Wenger will read the situation is we just won the golden glove award so the defence isn't that bad he will also look at xhakas signing and think that he will help us dominate games better making us defensively less vulnerable. Risky move in my eyes but hopefully we will have enough defensively to mount a serious challenge.

We all know we need a good striker two would be a dream but one would be a start, I said we have the best midfield by far in the pl but our midfield will look shit with giroud playing agaibst anyone decent he makes life so difficult for the midfield.
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby Dejan » Wed May 25, 2016 9:43 pm

So Xhaka goes straight in for Coquelin? Based on.... youtube videos?
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed May 25, 2016 9:44 pm

Based on the fact a player with a basic skill set that Coquelin has isn't necessary for a big team 75% of the time
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Wed May 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Sims wrote:

Coq will come in and play big games or tough games away from home as it's pointless having him on the pitch when we're playing shit teams, a waste of a spot in the team

We lost this season to alot of shit teams. So wouldnt say its pointless.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed May 25, 2016 9:49 pm

Dejan wrote:
Sims wrote:

We lost this season to alot of shit teams. So wouldnt say its pointless.

that's because we had no-one who could build from the back and we also had lamppost

we don't need coquelin playing against watford at home
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Dejan » Wed May 25, 2016 9:51 pm

Having Coquelin there will give his midfield partner more freedom. Perfect for Cazorla.
Coquelin has a good season and it was good for once to see player there that actually knew how to defend and get the ball back.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Wed May 25, 2016 9:53 pm

Coquelin & Cazorla were doing the job which should be done by one player really

We'll just have to wait and see whether Xhaka's the guy who can do it
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Next