Rob Holding joins Crystal Palace

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Rob Holding (16)

Postby MesutOzil11 » Wed May 31, 2017 10:42 pm

starmandb wrote:
Va-Va-Voom wrote:
starmandb wrote:Apparently
Holding was tuning Costa up throughout the game
Could be just the sort of vocal personality we have been craving for so long

Where is this coming from?

I have read a miriad of reports
I have a load of old papers in the cab that I catch up with while I am waiting on ranks
So I can't remember exactly where I read it
It said mertesacker was talking to holding throughout the game and that holding was chatting to costa throughout
Could be a load of old bollocks but holding does seem to have something about him

MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Va-Va-Voom » Wed May 31, 2017 10:45 pm

Fantastic stuff.
Va-Va-Voom
Member of the Year 2015
Member of the Year 2015

Postby Mowgz » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:38 pm

Arsenal Fan Tv host Robbie thinks Rob is a starter, when talking about him in a recent transfer rumor video. my response to to video was;

'Holding, as a regular starter, be it with just Kos or or in a three with another, for me is a risk. Yes, he did really well last season given his expectations, but I remember some really silly mistakes that weren't capitalised upon by the opposition.

Had they been, I would assume there would be a very different opinion of him right now. For me the jury is still out. Defending mistakes; same could be said with Kos, Mustafi and Gaby, but they had far more game time, so mistakes to minutes played ratio felt less (just in the heart, not looked at stats, I could be very wrong). I would like to buy a cb that will walk into our first team. Question is, are these two better or significantly better then what we have?

I think the answer is no, I know nothing about Kjaer though, so maybe him if the two statements are true. As long as Wenger's main focus is to strengthen up front and the Carzola position/role (if the rest of the team stay), then buy a cb to better what we already have, maybe just not these.'

I wanted to know what you guys think about Rob, as its been a while to clam down after the Fa Cup hype.
Mowgz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Cripps » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:47 pm

My thoughts on Holding

He was Englands best CB in the 2 games just gone
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby Mowgz » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:05 am

Cripps wrote:My thoughts on Holding

He was Englands best CB in the 2 games just gone

Succinct.

I always doubt myself because I've played football at playground level, so don't know any nuance.

I play cricket, and even at crap level I can tell talent, mistakes in the field, even how a wicket might play, but this because I play cricket and have some experience.

What I'm trying to say is i don't have a clue about football, so I judge on what i am watching on face value, so for example

Lucas - Was good for the time he was given. If he was fully fit, would he have been played more? Seems Wenger will mainly play him as a winger anyway, Most of his career he's been a winger but I'm Wenger fooled us into thinking we bought a striker. Atm i'd like to see more, rotate him and Welbeck.

Xhaka - Great last few games, and a nice start to the season, but not sure what to think for long term. Yes i like aggression but be clever about it, be aggressive out of sight. In the tunnel, Go into their changing room to drop some shit, whatever. Don't build a reputation of getting yellows, for being slow or trying to make up for your mistake. Jury out

Mustafi - Decent start, liked the way he ventured out and tried to distribute the ball long, yet also hated when he screwed it up. Some great (but thats yours and Kos's main duty) blocks and tackles. Of the top of my head i can't think where he screwed, up, Yet i'm, certain he did cost a goal here and there.

Sanchez - Imo totally predictable, yet defenders against him are often dumbfounded. Twist, turn, skip passing importunity once, look for Ozil, fake shot, twist, look for OZIL AGAIN, As he is the only one you trust, that fancy leg stuff, get tackled or pass to opposition. (I hear people say its only because, he's the only trying to make things happen) I dunno, i just think he needs a slap (in an ideal world), in reality he wants to be around better players.

Ozil - World at his feet, yet still divide fans. Form is temporary class is permanent as the saying goes, For me moments of genius but then droughts of performance, Won't be a legend that I'd like him to become.

I almost forgot the point of this.. I remember now, I'm not sure if Holding should be held in such great esteem yet, as we will be setting him up to fail.

Also on a side note. For those of you who say Lacca is no good because he hasn't proven on international level, think Ian Wright
Mowgz
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby MesutOzil11 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:42 pm

:cloud9:

MesutOzil11
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby rammixp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Winners!! Sorry I know this is the holding thread but based on the above tweet saw another recent tweet of his and thought it should be shared. Look at how these guys were all men. Not sure what our lot are these days!
rammixp
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Arsene Nose » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:50 pm

Those were the days we always went to Austria for pre season. Before the money men came along and sent us to Asia every year.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:53 pm

rammixp wrote:

Winners!! Sorry I know this is the holding thread but based on the above tweet saw another recent tweet of his and thought it should be shared. Look at how these guys were all men. Not sure what our lot are these days!

Men?
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:02 pm

GoonerAlexis wrote:
rammixp wrote:

Men?

Lost that game 4-1
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Rob Holding (16)

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:11 pm

lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:01 pm

Looool
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby gooney » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:15 pm

Now struggling bad at u23 level. There is a reason he couldnt get in england u21 even when he was paying for us. He is basically senderos without heading ability
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby alexafc12 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:57 pm

His confidence took a beating after Wenger put him to the saw partnering him with two full backs. The old notion that Wenger is the best at nurturing young talents is clearly bollocks. Similar situation to Chambers who looked promising at the start.
alexafc12
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EliteKiller » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:23 am

He's still very young for a CB ... in football the further back you play the more important experience becomes ... it's the reverse when it comes to forwards ... Goalkeepers peak in there late 20's and are still great in mid 30's ... CB's 27-32 ... midfield 22-29 ... strikers 20 -28 .... of course there are notable exceptions but in the main the further back on the field you play, the more you rely on your experience ... up front being unknown, having speed, and great instincts, these the keys, once defenders work out a striker (eg. Vardy) it's takes an exceptional striker to keep banging them in ... hence their value. ... defenders are all about positioning and reading the game, that only comes with experience ...

Taking those ages as an average Holding is then still 5 years away from his prime .... being chucked in the deep-end by Wonger has found him a bit lacking, that's no surprise and no disgrace, for a 21 year old he's done well and probably learnt a lot, now he needs to build his experience and his confidence by playing alongside a set of experienced CD's .... believe it or not we do actually have those !!!!!

Keep hanging him out to dry with two FB's partnering him at CB and he'll not progress, in fact he'll go backwards .... not progress under Wonger? now where have we heard that before I wonder?
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football