Rob Holding joins Crystal Palace

All UK football including, Scottish/Irish/Welsh Leagues and Cups. Also, domestic transfer gossip and news.

Re: Rob Holding

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

I'm sure he'll be delighted to team up with Vardy

Oh wait
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby TOP » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:31 am

pretty much done more than a month ago
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:33 am

Sims wrote:Imagine moaning about this sogning

When he lines up v Barca/Bayern/Real in the CL last 16 round cos we are going through yet another injury crisis in a position we failed to strengthen in, I think we have every right to moan.
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:40 am

Cripps wrote:

When he lines up v Barca/Bayern/Real in the CL last 16 round cos we are going through yet another injury crisis in a position we failed to strengthen in, I think we have every right to moan.

We have 3 CBs. Chambers and Monreal can also play there if necessary. I can understand you worrying about the quality of Kos' partner but depth?

I swear Arsenal fans look for every opportunity to complain.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby Mike Dean » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:10 am

ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Cripps wrote:

We have 3 CBs. Chambers and Monreal can also play there if necessary. I can understand you worrying about the quality of Kos' partner but depth?

It is not just about depth but the quality of depth.

Say I have Giroud as my main striker and then claim I have added depth with Walcott and Sanogo (which is actually what it is as it stands ...*gasp*). Sure, I have three strikers but I am not getting anything out of the two really. They are just bodies.

You cannot sign someone like Rob Holding and then brag about CB depth on your team that is supposed to contend for the title.

He is a cheap signing for the future. Maybe he pans out, maybe he does not. Definitely not someone you want to count as depth on your senior team atm.
Mike Dean
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby ThisIsNotAnID » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:21 am

Mike Dean wrote:
ThisIsNotAnID wrote:
Cripps wrote:

It is not just about depth but the quality of depth.

Say I have Giroud as my main striker and then claim I have added depth with Walcott and Sanogo (which is actually what it is as it stands ...*gasp*). Sure, I have three strikers but I am not getting anything out of the two really. They are just bodies.

You cannot sign someone like Rob Holding and then brag about CB depth on your team that is supposed to contend for the title.

He is a cheap signing for the future. Maybe he pans out, maybe he does not. Definitely not someone you want to count as depth on your senior team atm.

We have Kos, Mert and Gabriel. Chambers/Holding will be 4th choice and even Monreal can play there. We had the second best defensive record last season and Flamini played several matches for us. I don't think our defensive issues are as bad as people are making it out to be.
ThisIsNotAnID

Postby KG3 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:01 pm

Buying a defender from the team who finished bottom of the championship and conceaded the most goals with 81 lol.
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:07 pm

Not bad for a squad player I think. Bolton player of the year in his first season with their senior team. Must be a physically strong man. I don't mind him coming because I can't see we sign any top defender this year. Just sign a top striker and nobody will moan about this signing.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Byron Gomez » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:13 pm

So if this goes through we've basically bought 3 prospects? Looool

Still building that squad for the future and it's still no closer to being achieved
"I've play against him, what? 12, 15, 18 times? , I dunno". "And only once he didn't moan and on that day we lost!" - Jose Mourinho
Byron Gomez
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Byron Gomez » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:23 pm

We have enough squad players we need to sign people who are good enough to start.
"I've play against him, what? 12, 15, 18 times? , I dunno". "And only once he didn't moan and on that day we lost!" - Jose Mourinho
Byron Gomez
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Arsene Nose » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:24 pm

Mert - mid 30s
Kos - early 30s
Gab - mid 20s
Chambers - early 20s

Would've preferred a CB in his late 20s to balance things out than one who just turned 20. Rarely does a 20 year old CB deliver. He and Chambers will be ready about 3-4 seasons from now.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Cripps » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:31 pm

Mert is 31
Cripps
SE13
SE13

Postby yadunoe » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:36 pm

Cripps wrote:Mert is 31

Still slower then a tourtois , cb is a concern but not as big as c.f.
yadunoe
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:34 pm

OUCH!

So it's happening.

As per friend of the site Marc Iles, Bolton Wanderers starlet Rob Holding has tonight undergone a medical at Premier League no-hopers Arsenal with a fee of around £2.5m rumoured to have been agreed.

I can understand why he might find such a move attractive, but I think there are more cons than pros. Here's a short shortlist:

1) Arsene Wenger is rubbish at promoting English talent

He's had some fine talents at his disposal over the years - Cesc Fabregas, Christopher Wreh and Igors Stepanovs to name just three - but Areenal boss Wenger is appalling when it cokes to English players being brought through the ranks. Theo Walcott, Calum Chambers, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kieron Gibbs are the first three names that spring to mind, but looking back in time you could cite Francis Jeffers and Carl Jenkinson as those signed for good money and who's careers went nowhere.

2) London is a dump riddled with crime

It's a city with a lot going for it. Numerous kebab shops and dozens of betting shops await you.

However, you'll also find a crime-ridden hellhole where even a small one bedroom flat costs upwards of £12m. No joke.

There are small communities, known as Albert Squares, in which all sorts of mad shit goes down. Rob is a young man with the world at his feet and I'm really worried about him in the big city.

3) Arsenal fans are lame

Not literally lame, but they are the worst.

Piers Morgan, him from Jonathan Creek and Bradley Walsh to name but three. Look anywhere online and you'll see hundreds and thousands of them citing websites such as Sqwaka when judging a player. "Oh his pass completion rate is 8% higher than Nemanja Matic". That sort of bollocks.

They think they are a big team, which is funny when they've been an irrelevance for so long.

Desperately holding on to some sort of mid 2000s reputation as an English version of Barcelona whilst simultaneously playing Danny Welbeck only furthers the sense of delusion.

4) Twitter

Seriously, check out the #AFC and #Arsenal tags. Far worse than anything we could muster.

5) Arsenal FanTV

A YouTube television channel ostensibly set up to provide overseas fans with immediate reaction post-game interviews with supporters leaving the ground.

However, in reality it has created a cattle market of shock-jock style journalism, feeding on the delusions and insecurities if some of football's most idiotic supporters.

The notoriety enjoyed by one or two of the participants should be enough to put Rob Holding off a move to London.

6) They're the wrong club for him

He'd be better served moving somewhere where he'd be assured of immediate first team football. A Bournemouth, Everton or Celtic would give Rob exposure and minutes on the field which will help his development more than sitting on a beach at Arsenal or playing in the Championship on loan.

Rob is 21 and needs to play every week. This will not happen at Arsenal under Wenger.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... senal-move
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Jedi » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:40 pm

StLGooner wrote:OUCH!

So it's happening.

As per friend of the site Marc Iles, Bolton Wanderers starlet Rob Holding has tonight undergone a medical at Premier League no-hopers Arsenal with a fee of around £2.5m rumoured to have been agreed.

I can understand why he might find such a move attractive, but I think there are more cons than pros. Here's a short shortlist:

1) Arsene Wenger is rubbish at promoting English talent

He's had some fine talents at his disposal over the years - Cesc Fabregas, Christopher Wreh and Igors Stepanovs to name just three - but Areenal boss Wenger is appalling when it cokes to English players being brought through the ranks. Theo Walcott, Calum Chambers, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Kieron Gibbs are the first three names that spring to mind, but looking back in time you could cite Francis Jeffers and Carl Jenkinson as those signed for good money and who's careers went nowhere.

2) London is a dump riddled with crime

It's a city with a lot going for it. Numerous kebab shops and dozens of betting shops await you.

However, you'll also find a crime-ridden hellhole where even a small one bedroom flat costs upwards of £12m. No joke.

There are small communities, known as Albert Squares, in which all sorts of mad shit goes down. Rob is a young man with the world at his feet and I'm really worried about him in the big city.

3) Arsenal fans are lame

Not literally lame, but they are the worst.

Piers Morgan, him from Jonathan Creek and Bradley Walsh to name but three. Look anywhere online and you'll see hundreds and thousands of them citing websites such as Sqwaka when judging a player. "Oh his pass completion rate is 8% higher than Nemanja Matic". That sort of bollocks.

They think they are a big team, which is funny when they've been an irrelevance for so long.

Desperately holding on to some sort of mid 2000s reputation as an English version of Barcelona whilst simultaneously playing Danny Welbeck only furthers the sense of delusion.

4) Twitter

Seriously, check out the #AFC and #Arsenal tags. Far worse than anything we could muster.

5) Arsenal FanTV

A YouTube television channel ostensibly set up to provide overseas fans with immediate reaction post-game interviews with supporters leaving the ground.

However, in reality it has created a cattle market of shock-jock style journalism, feeding on the delusions and insecurities if some of football's most idiotic supporters.

The notoriety enjoyed by one or two of the participants should be enough to put Rob Holding off a move to London.

6) They're the wrong club for him

He'd be better served moving somewhere where he'd be assured of immediate first team football. A Bournemouth, Everton or Celtic would give Rob exposure and minutes on the field which will help his development more than sitting on a beach at Arsenal or playing in the Championship on loan.

Rob is 21 and needs to play every week. This will not happen at Arsenal under Wenger.

http://lionofviennasuite.sbnation.com/2 ... senal-move

Roasted
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic Football