Kieran Tierney (on loan - Real Sociedad)

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Kieran Tierney (3)

Postby jayramfootball » Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:01 pm

Has to be captain - he is literally the FIRST player we have had in over a decade who is captain material.
The role is far more important than Wenger gave it credit for. That move years ago to have multiple captains and pass the armband around like a game of pass the parcel was a bad mistake. Then some of the choices for captain have been shocking - like Gallas and Xhaka. :dontknow:
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby KG3 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:02 am

Luiz should be our captain
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dejan » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:16 am

How is this guy captain material?
He doesnt seem to talk at all

Verstuurd vanaf mijn D5803 met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:07 pm

Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:54 pm

Dejan wrote:How is this guy captain material?

Lead by example not by running off your mouth.

Sick of seeing Luiz bark orders at people, then next minute he's giving away a penalty and a red card.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Losmeister » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:29 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

Sick of seeing Luiz bark orders at people, then next minute he's giving away a penalty and a red card.

mic drop
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:50 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

That is not enough. This isnt amateur football. We need a leader and tierney isnt one.

Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby KG3 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:19 am

DiamondGooner wrote:

1 penalty which led to a harsh red card this season, not exactly extreme numbers considering the position he plays
KG3
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Callum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:32 pm

Dejan wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

That is not enough. This isnt amateur football. We need a leader and tierney isnt one.

If you don't think Tierney is a leader then I'm not sure we're going to find many players who are. The days of dominating personalities like Tony Adams and Roy Keane are mostly gone, and whilst Tierney is not massively vocal (that we know) he leads be example and plays with the sort of spirit a number of our former captains have lacked.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:36 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Exaggerate much.

Tierney is a good player, but he has not shown he is a leader at all, playing consistently well does not = Leadership quality.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:47 pm

theHotHead wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

Exaggerate much.

Tierney is a good player, but he has not shown he is a leader at all, playing consistently well does not = Leadership quality.

Would you not agree that he leads by example?
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby theHotHead » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:54 pm

Callum wrote:
Dejan wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

If you don't think Tierney is a leader then I'm not sure we're going to find many players who are. The days of dominating personalities like Tony Adams and Roy Keane are mostly gone, and whilst Tierney is not massively vocal (that we know) he leads be example and plays with the sort of spirit a number of our former captains have lacked.

You say that but I don't agree at all. Look at Emi compared to Leno, the difference in how much they talk to the players in front of them is like night and day. Emi barks out orders, there are load of players that are really vocal. Liverpool have Henderson who is very vocal. Chelsea have Cesar Aspilicueta who I wouldn't say is OTT but he is no shrinking violet. Man U have Maguire, no way you can tell me he doesn't bark at people. Ok, I wouldn't say Kane at Spurs is a barker, Seamus Coleman at Everton, I dunno. Wes Morgan at Leicester is a shouter as is Johnny Evans. Conor Coady and Willy Boly at Wolves are forever shouting at people. Grealish isn't a shouter, Lascelles at Newcastle is though ! Mark Noble at West Ham is an old school shouter, Lewis Dunk shouts a lot, James Ward-Prowse I dunno, Milivojevic - I'm not sure, Cairney at Fulham - no idea, Liam cooper at Leeds - no idea, Billy sharp at Sheff Utd - no idea, Ben Mee - no idea - I thought Tarkowski was captain and he shouts a lot but he isn't apparently. Finally we have West Brom - Jake Livermore is old school too and he shouts a lot.
theHotHead
SE13
SE13

Postby Callum » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:59 pm

I mean...

Telling more experienced players to go thank the fans after we lost on penalties at Anfield:

Sticks up for his teammates:

Steps up when our backs are against the wall:

Trains as hard as anyone else in the squad:

Warrior spirit:

Along with the fact he's a regular starter and a quality player. I'm not overly fussed about him being made captain because he does all of this stuff regardless, but I think he's a leader in the squad and certain should be considered when Aubameyang leaves.
Callum
SE13
SE13

Postby Ach » Tue Mar 02, 2021 4:16 pm

He needs to slow down in training. No wonder his injury record is horrendous
Ach
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby thebigbangtheo » Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:16 pm

In my experience it was more often what you said than how loud you said it that would have the desired effect.

That some captains go down the Sargent Major route (no pun intended) is more to do with adrenaline initially and then it just becoming a habit which then manifests itself into an aid for the captain to get his own game going.

Having read numerous footballer biographies, without doubt it is the ranting and raving or quiet words done in the changing room that are more relevant than those on the pitch.

Personally, I'd be more worried by Roy Keane not shouting at me but instead giving that withering look without a word said, to the extent that be it half or full time when we came off the pitch, I'm going into the opposition's changing room and staying there!

So if Tierney's perceived lack of vocality is being used as a marker against his suitability for the armband then I say all hail to the silent assassin and in the words of the dead poets society, oh captain my captain.
thebigbangtheo
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

PreviousNext

Return to Arsenal Talk