Our battle for top 4

Discuss anything Arsenal-related. Tune in to get the latest news, and discuss results, performances, tactics, etc.

Re: Our battle for top 4

Postby Godlop » Sun May 01, 2016 3:31 pm

Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:We also look shit against every team right now.

we didn't prior to the palace game for a few weeks.

Thats because the team thought they still have a chance for the title.
After the game against West ham it was clear that the title is gone.
عمود اضاءة
Godlop
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GoonerAlexandre » Sun May 01, 2016 3:32 pm

SchlandGooner wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:You do realise we're seeded and can't actually draw a decent team in qualification?

So you didn't realise there was always at least one decent team which wasn't seeded ?
Arsenal always was lucky and got an easy draw.

No, it's the balance of probability that if there's only one decent team and a shit load of bad ones that we'll get the bad one most of the time

We never had a decent team as opponent as far as I remember while f.e. Valencia and Monaco played the first time in the qualification for ages and had to play each other last season ..

Again, probability and seeding
GoonerAlexandre
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun May 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Godlop wrote:
Mesüt wrote:
Callum wrote:We also look shit against every team right now.

we didn't prior to the palace game for a few weeks.

Thats because the team thought they still have a chance for the title.
After the game against West ham it was clear that the title is gone.

No it's because our shit slow dallying players were injured and wenger couldn't mess with the lineup.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsene Nose » Sun May 01, 2016 4:03 pm

Saints 2-0 up against City hey oh!!! Right now third place is lookin' good.
Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything.
Arsene Nose
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 am

SchlandGooner wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:
SchlandGooner wrote:
GoonerAlexis wrote:You do realise we're seeded and can't actually draw a decent team in qualification?

So you didn't realise there was always at least one decent team which wasn't seeded ?
Arsenal always was lucky and got an easy draw.

No, it's the balance of probability that if there's only one decent team and a shit load of bad ones that we'll get the bad one most of the time

We never had a decent team as opponent as far as I remember while f.e. Valencia and Monaco played the first time in the qualification for ages and had to play each other last season ..

The fact that we sailed through both ties does not Change the fact that a game against celtic in 09/10 and fenerbahce in 13/14 was a tougher prospect than playing monaco at the start of this season
The fact that monaco knocked us out was a reflection on how poorly we performed not on how good they were
Wengers tactics were shocking in that 1 st leg as was his in game management after we got the glimmer of a goal at home
To concede after that said everything about the man and the mentality he has allowed to fester at this club
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Jedi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:45 pm

Tottenham playing City next so they're basically 3 points behind us already. Chelsea have no strikers and are a Hazard injury away from Europa League. We don't have a defense but we're scoring goals for fun. Are we going to finish in the top 4 this season?
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Pudpop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:50 pm

Jedi wrote:Tottenham playing City next so they're basically 3 points behind us already. Chelsea have no strikers and are a Hazard injury away from Europa League. We don't have a defense but we're scoring goals for fun. Are we going to finish in the top 4 this season?

If we can get our first team back four fit we'd easily finish top 4.

I'd like us to challenge but if I'm honest it'll take quite the collapse from City for us to pull it off
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Jedi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:00 pm

I don't dare mention challenging for the title. I think top 4 is 50/50. Once the hype train stops and we have a few bad results we'll know where we're at realistically.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Santi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:03 pm

I think top 4 is more than 50/50, even if we get d*cked by the big teams, we can get top 4 by dismantling the lesser clubs.

With our front line we should be comfortably in the top 4, fighting Chelsea for 3rd spot. I don't see United and Spurs as a threat this season - Kane is running on fumes and Jose guarantees dropped points.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:21 pm

Santi wrote:I think top 4 is more than 50/50, even if we get d*cked by the big teams, we can get top 4 by dismantling the lesser clubs.

With our front line we should be comfortably in the top 4, fighting Chelsea for 3rd spot. I don't see United and Spurs as a threat this season - Kane is running on fumes and Jose guarantees dropped points.
United is out of the equation already, without a doubt. As for Spurs, it just remains to be seen how we recover after a few bad results. We won't be able to smash every lesser team. In a way, we were lucky not to draw this game.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:21 pm

This next run of games will define us quite a bit:

Sporting
Palace
Blackpool
Liverpool
Sporting
Wolves
Bournemouth
Vorskla
Scum
Man u

There's defo some room for rotation in there plus the other big 3 will have some huge games to play beforehand and after in the CL.

If we can get through this, I'll have to take stock of life.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Jedi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:45 pm

Both Liverpool and Tottenham at home. I can't see us losing any of these games, but might be a few draws there.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Zedie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:50 pm

Jedi wrote:Both Liverpool and Tottenham at home. I can't see us losing any of these games, but might be a few draws there.

It'll depend how much we solidify our defence between now and then. We can't start so loose and slow versus teams that will punish us otherwise we may be facing a scoreline we can't score our way out of.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby EliteKiller » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:34 am

Jedi wrote:Both Liverpool and Tottenham at home. I can't see us losing any of these games, but might be a few draws there.

A 'few draws' is the difference between top four and sixth .... we have to win every game not against a top six rival, and at least match the top six home and away .... anything else won't be good enough .... same applies for all the top four wannabees
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Jedi » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:47 am

Winning every game against everyone outside top 6 + matching the top 6 home and away would most likely win us the league. We can afford a few draws here and there. Last season, Liverpool was fourth with 12 draws and 5 losses.
Jedi
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Previous

Return to Arsenal Talk